Rock you like a hurricane - 1985 Scorpion 186 Chris Craft

jason501

Cadet
I've lost the bet.

Twas the summer of 2011. In anticipation of my in-laws' annual summer vacation, my brother-in-law bought a boat while his wife was out of town. It was a 1985 Chris Craft Scorpion 168 (16' Bow Rider). We spent half of our vacation working on her. Once she was running I fell in love. She was the smoothest thing on the water.

Without thinking clearly, I started running my big mouth. I bet him that I could find a bigger, faster boat for less than what he paid for his. I pulled up craigslist and searched for boats in the area. The whole time trash talking like an idiot. As fate would have it, one of the top ads was for a 1985 Chris Craft Scorpion 186. Two feet longer and a bigger engine. It was meant to be and the game was on!

Aside from a cracked block, she seemed ok. The seller cranked it and ran her for a second. All I need to do is clean her up and get a new engine.

Here she was on the day I first saw her.

yOr7T4Vl.jpg
wJIt1zjl.jpg
OTW6z8dl.jpg
QSYvWLrl.jpg
PGllWHTl.jpg

I bought her. And that's where the trouble started.

Last edited:

friderday

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Rock you like a hurricane - 1985 Scorpion 186 Chris Craft

that's pretty much the same thing I said a couple years after I married my husband! boats are easy...& they don't talk back! welcome to iboats.....

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I'm guessing she needs new transom stringers and deck right ?
Welcome to the madness ! :D

jason501

Cadet

While cleaning her up I found some bonus items that would add value to any boating experience; a dirty baby diaper and a rotting squirrel carcass. At this point everything is cleaning up alright and deck feels solid. The engine compartment was filthy from a cracked block. Oil, grease, and sludge was everywhere back there. Here's some pix

1Mz2kxPl.jpg
f4RAaQel.jpg
4jlAdkfl.jpg
z5tvxXcl.jpg
hPhxWtCl.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd open up that Ski Locker and start inspecting down below.

jason501

Cadet

I ordered a long block from Rapido Marine down in Hollywood, FL in Sept of 2011. With the help of a co-worker knowledgable in all things engine related (or so he claimed) the old busted engine was hoisted out and he began transferring all the old parts over to the new block. While he was working on that I installed a new trim pump and a bilge blower.

We hoisted the new engine in place then I screwed the lag bolt for the port side motor mount into pulp. Great! Now I have a FUN project. I really started to worry that this would be too simple of a project. Finally something to challenge my utter lack of boat repairing skills.

Here's some pic's of the engine and the nifty rolling outdrive stand I built out of stuff I had laying around.

tUgsOCjl.jpg WCddyNHl.jpg
AtdKPU6l.jpg Ad73Rcml.jpg

slow joe

Seaman

I have a feeling this is going to keep unfolding, and that you're doing a time lapse kinda thing since you're talking about 2011 and it's the beginning of 2014

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Tagging along,.................................

jvanhees

Petty Officer 1st Class

and then...?

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

This looks itchy :watermelon:

jason501

Cadet

Ok. I had three main objectives to see through before I start cutting up this boat.

1. I just spent a bunch of time and money on this new engine block. I would like to see it run at least once.
2. I have never seen the boat float. This would also be nice to see at least once.
3. I have a cracked bunk on the trailer that needs replaced ASAP.

With the wind out of my sails progress slowed to a snails' pace. I slowly discovered that while my mechanic buddy was great at turning wrenches, he was quite inept at wiring and troubleshooting. First it was this, then it was that. I went through two starting coils and two starters as he lead the charge to diagnose why she wouldn't turn over. It was the blind leading the blind.

My buddy gave up. I didn't protest. The project halted.

One day, months later, I was out giving it another go and tracing down wires while my wife was scraping the last of the Guns N Roses stickers from the windows. I got everything straightened out and fired up. Got the muffs on then found a crack in the exhaust manifold. So, I ordered a set up and replaced those.

I got to see her float on Easter Sunday 2012.

Since the motor mount was rotted out I obviously didn't open the throttle much. Just had to float her off to get the bunks replaced. Now I can start the cutting.

This was a good Day
M9mMb7a.jpg

Pulling up carpet and getting ready to make a cut.
W1rZgH0l.jpg

Should have just mixed up a thick batch of CPES ;)
y2sjP3hl.jpg

e3nfGI4l.jpg

Gimbal housing removed and a stringer with rot
vtmJwgPl.jpg

jason501

Cadet

I'd open up that Ski Locker and start inspecting down below.
I never should have opened the Ski Locker. The mosquitoes almost carried me off.

I'm guessing she needs new transom stringers and deck right ?
Welcome to the madness ! :D
Probably everything but the transom. It looks like it's ok but will need advice from everyone.

I have a feeling this is going to keep unfolding, and that you're doing a time lapse kinda thing since you're talking about 2011 and it's the beginning of 2014
It's like a slow motion horror flick. Actually, nothing really happened in 2013 so it's not like I've already completed this project. The horror is really just beginning.

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Have you considered buying a different boat that needs an engine to just drop your engine package into? I guess that would defeat the purpose of rebuilding this boat, but I'm curious to see if that has been considered. You already have an entire engine package with outdrive, transom assembly, shifter, steering, and trailer.

slow joe

Seaman

It's like a slow motion horror flick. Actually, nothing really happened in 2013 so it's not like I've already completed this project. The horror is really just beginning.

Sounds like the thread I've started on my boat... LOL I keep finding more and more rotten wood...

jason501

Cadet

Have you considered buying a different boat that needs an engine to just drop your engine package into? I guess that would defeat the purpose of rebuilding this boat, but I'm curious to see if that has been considered. You already have an entire engine package with outdrive, transom assembly, shifter, steering, and trailer.

No. But I did consider entering the Waterless Boat Races.

jason501

Cadet

This is where I am currently on the boat and my questions are starting to add up.

I took the deck up because of the stringer rot I found at the stern and because of the two places I noticed a minor flex in the deck; One is in the middle of the boat right above fuel tank and the other is the floor of the cap. The surface was cracked under all that wet carpet too. I figured there would be major de-lamination of plywood deck and probably wet stringers. I took core samples of stringers in the middle of the boat. All samples were light colored and dry.

While the pictures I have show the plys in-tact, I had a couple of places where the 1st layer of the ply was de-laminated. Overall, I was surprised of how well the plywood held up. The stringers looked better than I expected too.

6w1UW1el.jpg

Topside of decking showing the cracks
E5hl5g1l.jpg

All the cuts to the deck had a good looking cross section similar to this
UDzMHVDl.jpg

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer

20131019_111644.jpg

Nice boat, here's some inspiration, mine is a 1985 scorpion 167 outboard with a 1984 yamaha 115. whole inside just redone. These boats are awesome in my opinion. My dad just passed this boat on to me as he got a newer Chris craft concept 17. We have had this boat since it was about 5 years old and I was about 14 years old. I am now 40 and sharing it with my son who is now 4 years old. Good times!