Question on replacing interior wood and carpet on a Lund Rebel

Oldyote

Cadet
New to the forum but am looking for some advice on replacing the wood and carpet in my Lund Rebel.

The floor is fine but all the other areas that have carpet over wood need replacing (storage areas, live well, etc.).

Here is the boat

Here is an example of what I am replacing.

It appears to be carpet over 5/8 plywood.

I've purchased the marine carpet but have a couple questions on the wood to use.

The rod storage section is 9 1/2 feet long. Should I try to find a 10 foot piece of plywood or can I use pine or some other kind of wood?

I'm also wondering if I should use an exterior grade poly before I carpet.

I know I'll have more questions but that is all for now.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Question on replacing interior wood and carpet on a Lund Rebel

Nice boat!

First thing, don't use pressure treated wood. Use an exterior grade plywood that uses exterior grade glue/resin to hold the plies together. This will be either a phenol based resin or WBP glue.

Use a good grade of plywood like ABX or BCX. You can also use MDO plywood.

Sealing your plywood with a urethane sealer will be good, but using a marine grade epoxy resin will be even better.

Post your location in your profile and we can help you find material close to you.

Oldyote

Cadet

Thank you

I'm having some trouble finding 10 foot sheets of plywood. I've checked the big box stores but maybe there are some other places I'm not considering?

I'm also not familiar with using an epoxy resin. If you have suggestions on brands to use/application methods that would also be appreciated.

Ric

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

A 10' sheet of plywood will be special order and expensive.

Have you taken your boat apart yet to see if the plywood is actually 10' long, it could be spliced somewhere.

Marine grade epoxies are sold mainly at boating supply stores and online, a popular brand is West Systems epoxy resin.

Oldyote

Cadet

I've taken the one piece off and stripped it of the carpet this morning. It is one piece but I think I could either splice it together or just replace the piece with two sections.

thiker15

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi, I would use a bisket cutter and join the two that way. that's what I used on my lund rebuild. also you may want to use nautolux instead of carpeting

thiker15

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nautolex

Oldyote

Cadet

Hi, I would use a bisket cutter and join the two that way. that's what I used on my lund rebuild. also you may want to use nautolux instead of carpeting

This is exactly what I did and it worked great. I'm using carpet on all the storage areas but am now thinking about replacing the floor which currently has a vinyl like material on it. I will not put carpet on the floor but it looks to me like I'd have to pull the live well out which is riveted to the side of the boat.

I'm not sure I want to mess with the rivets unless maybe there is another way and I'm just not seeing it?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Lund and Alumacraft build these hulls then deck them then add all the storage compartments above that decking.

When I redid the decking on my Lund S14 DLX which has a split bench seat in the middle what I did was take a circle saw and set the depth to just above the thickness of the wood and then rip cut it down the center. I was then able to slide it out from under those benches.

When I fit the new wood I did the same thing and replaced the decking in 3 pcs instead of 1 piece. Sliding the ply under and then fastening it down.

The Alumacraft I will be doing as soon as it ever warms above freezing is built the same way. The livewell and rod holder compartments are laid over the decking so I will be repeating what I did on the Lund by using 3 pieces and sliding it under.

Oldyote

Cadet

Lund and Alumacraft build these hulls then deck them then add all the storage compartments above that decking.

When I redid the decking on my Lund S14 DLX which has a split bench seat in the middle what I did was take a circle saw and set the depth to just above the thickness of the wood and then rip cut it down the center. I was then able to slide it out from under those benches.

When I fit the new wood I did the same thing and replaced the decking in 3 pcs instead of 1 piece. Sliding the ply under and then fastening it down.

The Alumacraft I will be doing as soon as it ever warms above freezing is built the same way. The livewell and rod holder compartments are laid over the decking so I will be repeating what I did on the Lund by using 3 pieces and sliding it under.

I'm going to double check but I think on my boat the only place the floor runs under another structure is for the front battery compartment and the side live well. The battery carpetment is screwed to the floor so that should not be a problem. The live well is riveted to the side of the boat and screwed to the floor.

I'm looking at how difficult it will be to remove/replace those rivets. If I can get the live well out without too much trouble I think I could replace that section of flooring as one piece.

Oldyote

Cadet

Thanks everyone for the help.

I have one other question.

The top of the live well was also wrapped in carpet. I've removed the carpet and old adhesive down to the steel. Does anyone have a suggestion on the best type of adhesive to use for this type of application. As there is nothing to staple to and the carpet needs to wrap around the edges I need something (at least for the edges) that will dry quickly and hold up as long as an exterior grade carpet glue.

Oldyote

Cadet

Well I'm about 95% done with all the carpeted pieces.

I've decided to do the floor as well so I had to remove the live well. I've only take the front section of flooring up and now have to order some more plywood. On the carpeted pieces I've been coating with polyurethane before carpeting but on the floor I'm wondering if I should use some kind of epoxy or other coating before covering with the vinyl?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Marine grade 2 part epoxy resin is the best sealer you can get for sealing boat decks and transoms. It's very tough and durable, like a sheet of Lexan covering your plywood.

I like the USComposites 635 thin resin, the 3:1 ratio medium mix works well in warm weather but you may want to step up to the 4:1 ratio fast mix if you're working in cooler conditions.

You can order it from here:
Epoxy :?Epoxy Resins and Hardeners

Order the pumps too for easy measuring.

Like the name implies, this is a thin mix epoxy resin that penetrates the wood really well. It's also self leveling for a very smooth finish. I used 4 coats for a nearly indestructible barrier between my vinyl and plywood decking.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Lookin' good OY!

fricken Lund stole my bow-area bulkhead idea :mad-new:
6e6cce61-86d5-462a-88a3-b25d35758ece_zps3cb817c6.jpg

would you mind doing me a solid and snap some pics at the bow-facing-stern of that sub-deck bow structure? ya, now...for litigation purposes :lol:

Oldyote

Cadet

Sure

The place I'm keeping it is about 20 minutes away but the next time I'm there I'll take some more pictures.

Oldyote

Cadet

Marine grade 2 part epoxy resin is the best sealer you can get for sealing boat decks and transoms. It's very tough and durable, like a sheet of Lexan covering your plywood.

I like the USComposites 635 thin resin, the 3:1 ratio medium mix works well in warm weather but you may want to step up to the 4:1 ratio fast mix if you're working in cooler conditions.

You can order it from here:
Epoxy :*Epoxy Resins and Hardeners

Order the pumps too for easy measuring.

Like the name implies, this is a thin mix epoxy resin that penetrates the wood really well. It's also self leveling for a very smooth finish. I used 4 coats for a nearly indestructible barrier between my vinyl and plywood decking.

Thanks

Can I ask what kind of adhesive you used for the vinyl. I have Nautolex 88 and am having some trouble finding out if it will have any issues with adhering to the epoxy.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I used the 88 too and haven't had any problems, I did sand with 120 grit before applying the adhesive.

BayouRunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 16 aluminum hull flat boat with dual consoles, a side live well/storage section...all made of aluminum that was added to the boat by the original owner. The floor and side walls are carpeted, which, even though is in GREAT shape...will be replaced since I don't care for carpet in a boat. I'm in the process off looking for the flooring I saw at a boat show a year or so ago...it's basically 1/4" to 1/2" sheets of foam vinyl (?) with water channels in it to direct the water towards the back of the boat. You can either get peel and stick, or no backing and glue it down yourself. The guy whose boat I saw it in said it had been in the boat 4 years, and I SWEAR it looked as if he had JUST put it down that day! He's a hunting/fishing guide down here in Louisiana, so his boat is usually covered in fish scales, guts, bit and pieces of animals and blood...you name it on an animal/fish, it's in the bottom of his boat at some time. He says all he has to do is hose the floor down and VOILA!, clean as the day he installed it. He also said he wrapped his live well with it, all 4 sides and the top...and lowered the temp INSIDE of his live well by about 2 degrees. This flooring hasn't faded, doesn't get hot and is VERY comfortable to walk on (I know this cause I took of my shoes and walked around in the boat!). IF I can find it, I'll post ya a link and see whatcha think for your boat floor. And 2 minutes after posting this, I added the word "vinyl" to what I was searching for and BAM!, here it is. BFC Marine Inc - Hydroturf

My boat was an open floor from the get-go. That's how flat boats are sold down here, bares bones. The guy that had the boat before me worked at a marine shipyard, so he added 3/16" aluminum as the flooring, front deck, back "deck" and to make the consoles and live well/dry storage tank with. The ONLY wood in my boat is the 3/4" piece on the inside of my transom. I will be keeping the carpet that runs up the side walls but all surfaces will be covered with this material.

BFC Marine Inc - Hydroturf

Last edited: