1984 Crestliner Nordic Resto

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK guys idiot here with a new toy. I bought a crestliner nordic 22ft cuddy, these are pretty rare in this part of the world, It is a i/o with a mercruiser 470, I know I know Ive heard all the bad things about the 470 Im going to hope I am the luckyone for now. well Im hoping to paint, replace some bad decking, new carpet or other flooring not sure yet, cover the seats that are in the boat and the cuddy, and buy new seats for the driver and psg. its a pretty open canvas, I think I got a pretty good deal so Im open to about anything, so let the ideas fly.

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1984 Crestliner Nordic Resto

this is what I know so far starter bad, motor turns freely, oil dirty but free of water, stering working good, trim working good, only soft decking is in the lower space infront of the cuddy door, and let me tell you I am used to heavy fiberglass boats wow this thing is 22ft and tows like a dingy, where have these boats been all my life

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..... That Crestliner is Very similar to my Starcraft Islander,...

My Islander has stamped faux lap-streak sides, vs: yer flatsides,.....
While the lay-out, 'n dress is close, yer's appears to be a nicer, original cockpit,....

Both have a very shallow V, so yer's is gonna ride as Rough as my tinboat, in big water,....
(the main reason I'm movin' to glass)

Bench test yer starter, 'n see if ya can get it rebuilt locally,...
As soon as ya get the motor turnin' over,...
Do a Compression Test,....
That'll give ya an idea of it's general health, 'n whether it's gonna be workable,...

I'd also pull the drive, 'n Inspect everything to see what needs Fixin',.....
'n replace the impeller,..

I'd also start keepin' an eye out for a runnin' complete bobtail 4.3l for the future power,... ;)

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Nice score on the boat. Looks pretty nice to me. You should be able to get that floor fixed up and have her out in no time. I don't know what kind of structure it has but if the floor is soft, you may want to check everything else over real good. You probably already knew that though. Good luck with her.

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class

bondo im allways looking f0r a junker with a good 4.3 or even a rebuildable 4.3 set plan is to do just as you have said comp. test cooling system test, carb rebuilt, petronix ignition, bellows, impeller, and try to get a good season hopefully have a 4.3 ready to drop in at seasons end.

thankyou maryannaj im excited to get started structure seems great, over all the decking is in good shape alittle springy down in the ditch in front of the cuddy door. and a cpl places right around the motor cover. ive been doing a lot of reading a lot of the threads by the guys that rebuild the old starcrafts, those guys are amazing, makes me feel sure I can get this beast on the water by april

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I would be concerned about that deck being soft/springy. Just 1 small soft spot on the deck of a fiberglass boat can mean a world of rot below deck.

This guy thought he just had a little soft spot on the deck to repair:
http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/first-attempt-boat-repair-579280.html

... and this guy thought he got a great deal on his boat too, until he started probing and checking for rot:
http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...tron-hpv165-bass-boat-restoration-631525.html

Edit:

Just blew up the pics and see it's a tinny and not a glasser, that's good and lots easier to work on.

That soft decking is still an issue though.

Last edited:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Tagging along,................

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class

ya shes a tinny jig I bought a graddy white off of ebay one time great looking boat I was so excited, it had the chevy 305 with 898 outdrive, very very dishonest seller went to charleston sc. brought it home, you know the rest bad transom, bad motor mounts, half rotten stringers, I sold it and took a heck of a beating, very costly leson learned.

good news is i bout a kicker motor and mount yesterday, merc 7.5 1983 electric start and I did get to hear it run, if Im going to be out there with 470 I want some back up

jig have you ever had any luck catching those 30lb stripe thats my goal this spring I must have one

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

jig have you ever had any luck catching those 30lb stripe thats my goal this spring I must have one

Nah, those things move around a lot and you spend more time looking for them than catching them. This spring they'll be up river closer to the Henry/Logan dam in skinny water, right now they're down closer to the Logan/Lay dam in deeper water.

I mainly fish for Crappie, they aren't real big... but they sure are fine on the dinner table!

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class

It was a nasty weather weekend so I spent a large bit of time on iboats looking at other projects, soon as the weather breaks Im going to pull the floor panels, strip the carpet and see wich if any can be reused, ill sand then spar the crap out of them and reattach flooring to them. I think all but maybe 2 of them I can reuse no problem, allso anyone know a trick to removing the pinstriping someone at crestliner must have loved striping, Ive tried a heat gun I was able to pull it of in 3 inch peaces with it instead of 1 inch without.

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok today we had great weather 60 and sunny no wind, so I had about 3 hours to work on the boat, I thought ma Ill get this job half way finished today. I started with removing the swim platform, 3 hours later,1 full can of pb blaster, busted fingers, and all I got done was remover the swim platform, this thing fought me tooth and nail, well atleast I got my monark cleaned up and ready to sell to free up some wife dont know money. Ill start again maybe today just wasnt my dayView attachment 221295View attachment 221296

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Nothing wrong with having more than one boat,.............

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im looking for some advice everyone seems to use something different but whats best for your through hull bolts on a aluminum boat

jbcurt00

Staff member

Thru hull bolts for what?

Tow eyes @ the transom, Stainless Steel, and for most of the rest thru hulls too.

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

Would have to concur with JB. Through bolts should be stainless.

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class

im sorry guys I ment what type of sealent

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

3M 5200, sold at Home Depot in the paint dept. next to the epoxy glues.

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

Buy the smaller tubes if you can. Can't seem to keep that stuff from hardening after it has been open. Also don't get it where you don't want it.