Removing bottom paint

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have a 19' 1996 Wellcraft that I purchased a few years ago and it has bottom paint on it. I don't really need the paint since all I do is freshwater boating and the paint is really looking bad. it is a blue colored paint that is chipping off everywhere. I have tried strippers and they don't even make a dent in the stuff. I recently started sanding the stuff off and that is going really slow. Any other ideas on how to cheaply and effectively remove this stuff. I thought about soda blasting but that costs a fortune any other ideas would be appreciated.

epresutti

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Removing bottom paint

superpop,<br /><br />Others may have different ideas, I tried lots of strippers, etc. Wound up with the orbital and lots of sand paper, palm sander works pretty well. My neighbor offered his pnuematic orbital which is supposed to work better, but I am just suffering through with my electric. I can do about 1sq ft / min.<br /><br />Peace.<br /><br />Ed.

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Removing bottom paint

I had the same problem with my last boat. I found it easier to just re-paint everyother year and toutch up the years in between.<br /><br /><br /> Jim