Pondering next project...aluminum pilot house boat...opinions and advice?

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
So, as this Sportcraft project starts winding down, and C-dory's are out of my reach, I'm thinking that I want to go boating when it's 30 degrees and snowing...next year. I don't want something 30 feet long, and I don't want, nor can I afford a $35,000 aluminum boat. I feel like no one builds what I want, and if they did, it would be $40,000.

I thought about an 18-20 ft old Starcraft but don't know if it "would work".
I fell in love with this 22' Seaark online...
l_2272cub.jpg

Upon further research, some are goofy and completely disproportionate. No offense, but this just doesn't work aesthetically...
l_seaarkcubs24721213001.jpg

For pennies on the dollar, what if a guy bought an Alumacraft MV 1860 AW(for example) for $5400 and built a removable pilot house? A 16 footer would be cheaper yet. 1/8" aluminum pan/box brake bent corners and a 1" aluminum frame structure, with custom ordered windows.
l_img_0610.jpg

Not a tall, stand up pilot house but a comfortable, two person, proportional in height to an 18' boat, climb in, and sit down pilot house. Twin, used 40hp Mercurys, Big buddy heater. Bird watching, cruising, exploring, beaching, hardcore winter boat.

I have a TIG and a pro tubing bender and can find, hire, or buy a pan/box brake.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Pondering next project...aluminum pilot house boat...opinions and advice?

Why buy a new hull if it doesn't check all the boxes? $5400 sounds like a good chunk to spend if it's not the boat you want.....

If you look thru the Starcraft rebuilds, I bet there's a bunch 18-22ft projects that are all in for about $5k.................
[h=3]Starcraft Rebuilds and Restorations, they're all here![/h]
Look for govt auctions of service craft....

zool

Captain

Sounds like a cool idea, the only problem I see is its made of aluminum :D...John Delorean had the idea of putting amenities in a tin can, he ended up broke and in jail hehe

25 BOSTON WHALER

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

There are lots of old and newer Starcraft type boats around me that are on the water all year unless the ramps are iced in, and 90% of them have canvas enclosures heated with portable propane heaters. I think this is likely due to the versatility of canvas and the lack of small, affordable pilothouse designs. This is also my plan for the boat down in my sig. For that amount of cash I would think you could find something with power included and make or have made a nice soft top.

That just seems to be the conventional wisdom in this area, where the winters are pretty long and cold. Something like this is super functional and roomy...you can stand up and walk around, too:

1975_starcraft_islander_2_lgw.jpg

Just my couple of cents there. Pilothouses are pretty cool, too.

jc55

haha Zool, I am aware of EVERY pilot house boat for sale within 800 miles lol!!! I was watching that one too. EVERY craigslist, ebay, iboats, boat trader, etc.

I have 3.5 ft minimum depth to get out into the river during shallow times, then go under a bridge. My Baja drags skeg.

Thanks JB, the problem is that I don't think the pilot house will "fit" a v-hull. Plus we get into diesel powered, no trailer, 1500 miles away, 28 footers for service craft. Not trying to be a pessimist;)

jc55

Chemical wire, I've thought about that route too. There's a Starcraft for $900 on craigslist now that can't seem to sell. Really shooting for a pilot house. Nice looking boat though.

jbcurt00

Staff member

BnPWa.jpg
11_148_1332186548.jpg

012chinook-l.gif

Only limited by imagination & wallet

jc55

That's not FAIR JB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHH my eyes!!!:)

jc55

Jasoutside, I love your work. You got the right idea.

Weighing the overall cost and have been exploring the Steiger Craft pilot house route. Found a couple of really cheap, used ones that I'm checking into. If it isn't meant to be, I'll have to build one. The idea of boating in 20 degree temperatures with NO ONE on the river brings out the inner child in me.

zool

Captain

The idea of boating in 20 degree temperatures with NO ONE on the river brings out the inner child in me.

I used to have to take my brothers Whaler out in dead winter, mostly cuz he knew i would do it eventually if he just left it in....after cutting thru thin surface ice in the lagoon, I had to cross the bay to the ramp alone while my bud waited in a warm truck...all I ever heard while crossing was the engine, listening to every beat....that was an open Montauk

also, I see the old bayliner PH's are going cheap

http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/bod/4238900790.html

Last edited:

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

The sea ark is pretty dang cool. I've never seen one untill now.

jc55

Title change, going to look at a pilot house (deck repair inevitable)

Title change, going to look at a pilot house (deck repair inevitable)

I saw that one Zool! I've seen THEM ALL!! LOL! Man I hope to make that dream alive of winter boating. When all the faded maroon cuddy cabins get put to sleep for the season, I wanna be out there!!!

They must be pretty rare MHj.

Okay, so I'm driving far, far away this weekend to look at a early 90's Steiger craft pilot house. I don't want to put in too much info for obvious reasons, but need some input.

There's a point at which you won't get a boat any cheaper no matter what the condition, especially in a high end commercial boat. This boat is at that point. It's like hot rods. The perfect project car comes along and you don't wait 10 years for the next one over a $750 purchase price difference when you're gonna dump 60k into it. I'm suspecting issues but it frequents the ocean now. This could be the last big boat for the rest of my life...(something to tinker with indefinitely)

This is a trailered to florida frequently, salt water boat, with previous deck repairs and current "soft spots". I know that I can do stringers and deck for $3000 myself on this one in the future, which still makes it worth it to me.

What is an absolute deal breaker on an ex commercial, 23', newer 200hp outboard with kicker, hull repainted(he said Gelcoat but I'm suspect, who re-gelcoats?), loaded with offshore electronics, pilot house? I mean, I can spend $35k on a 15 year old Steiger with wet stringers too.

What are some hardcore deal breakers? Sorry that I can't give more details.

zool

Captain

aside from the stringer/transom thing which we see everyday here, I would check engine compression if possible, and look for excessive hull blisters. Also, Im not sure if Steiger cored the hull below the WL, but if so, I would check for compromise...they are used a tow/police rigs so check for heavy crazing from impacts....A wet cored hull would probably be the only "dealbreaker" for me if the price is right.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: Title change, going to look at a pilot house (deck repair inevitable)

Re: Title change, going to look at a pilot house (deck repair inevitable)

So yah, this Steiger Craft, we are talking about a glass boat here now, right?

hardcore deal breaker

YUP:mad-new:

jc55

aside from the stringer/transom thing which we see everyday here, I would check engine compression if possible, and look for excessive hull blisters. Also, Im not sure if Steiger cored the hull below the WL, but if so, I would check for compromise...they are used a tow/police rigs so check for heavy crazing from impacts....A wet cored hull would probably be the only "dealbreaker" for me if the price is right.

I'm thinking that would be a good idea. I rigged up a "push in" nozzle for my compression tester so that one size fits all. I believe they have a foam core hull. There is some delamination inside the port bulkhead of the pilot house. I'll check to see if it got hit there from the outside. A salt life should be a lack of rot over a fresh water boat?

Here are some pics...

Here's the delamination I see...

No worries Jasoutside, I haven't popped open a can of "build this aluminum boat" yet. It's coming eventually ;)

zool

Captain

Looks great!..ill take it!....actually, it looks like its been refinished?....that sure looks like a fresh coat of Awlgrip on the hull....from the looks of the rubrail, it hasnt been used as a barge ;)

jc55

I'm excited actually. The Sportcraft was kind of a way of cutting my teeth so that I could come into something bigger like this without fear and anxiety. Got my 224,000 Duramax getting serviced. Hope she makes the long trip!

zool

Captain

I see it was registered in Fl, but I dont see any palm trees..hmm ;)

Pay the AAA and go get her!

jc55

It's not in Florida currently, but spends a lot of time there. Hmmm...AAA I am getting old ;)