1997 Sea Ray 175

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1997 Sea Ray 175

Thank you fat fanny. That is what I was going to do.

I'm just waiting on a couple of parts and i can get the fuel tank installed.

I'm really procrastinating the electrical wiring on this, but I did take the dash panel and wires (still attached) all the way to the plug off of the donor boat. Once the gas tank is in, I'll deal with the wiring more. Then, the cosmetics (seats and cushions)

Searayb

Seaman Apprentice

Mulberry Hall - Boating Hey Marc not sure if this help but here's a pic of the water separator mounted. Not my boat, as I mentioned it's in storage but a good reference pic.. I have not installed one, have thought about it and this looks like the way I'd go.

Last edited:

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

i had a 99 180 that was a very similar boat. here are some interior shots if they would help

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you everyone. Very nice photos of the Sea Ray 180, Beason. Good photos of the restore on the 1995 one too searayb. Reaslistically, mine isn't going to come out as nice of either of those, at least initially. My captain's seats aren't as nice. Maybe one day I'll upgrade mine, but the ones that I have (you will see later) aren't as good as the original seats.

I did get my fuel pickup tube installed. Which seems simple, but the threads for the female side, where the fuel pickup tube screws into the tank, had actually stripped out by the thieves. I couldn't get my new fuel pickup to go in, and they are both soft metals (aluminum) so I started damaging the fuel pickup threads, so I went to the hardware store and got a bolt (with plumbing threads) that was of a harder metal (couldn't find a tap in this size that has plumbing threads). I was able to get it to bolt in and re-shape the damaged threads in the tank and the new fuel pickup tube installed just fine, so that is one more obstacle out of the way. Not even one of those things you plan on being an issue, but it was.

The new fuel sender should arrive soon and I will then be ready to install the fuel tank. A fuel tank shouldn't take this long, but I'm dealing with a boat that had everything taken from it.

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've been meaning to come on here and update. I got the fuel tank installed, so that is one more thing that is done. It is crazy how many little items there are when dealing with a boat this is nearly gutted.

Next, I've been working on the instrument panel and wiring. The thieves had taken my wiring harness, so I'm just transferring everything over from the donor boat (wire-wise). When I'd bought the replacement dashboard, they'd sent me an instrument panel (I'd mentioned this). So, it is more of a matter of just matching up wires and making sure everything is proper according the the wiring schematics. Also, making sure that the used instrument panel that I have is wired up right. So far, everything looks good. I just need a chance to spread everything out and sort through it.

Once that is done, it should actually be a running boat (that needs an interior).

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Have any of you ever tried to remove the two vinyl handles in the front seating area? I'd like to take mine off to clean them up and possibly try to paint them to match the new color scheme. I can get to the bolt that is closest to the cup holder, but can seem to reach the front bolt on each of the handles. Maybe I can have a kid with skinnier arms reach up there. I'm not getting to them..

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi Everyone,
Just an update on this.. it has been a while since I posted. I'll get some photos. Basically, except for the windshield and some smaller items, it is almost done. I'll get some photos of it soon. It came out ok. Not perfect by any means, but for a low-budget upgrade from a 1987 boat to a 1997 boat, it is fine.

I ran into some title issues, but thankfully the previous owners were very helpful and met me at the dmv to get the title properly switched to me.

I've test driven the boat and it rode nice. I was very impressed at how well it took choppy water. I was skeptical because this boat is pretty light and a foot smaller than my prior boat (plus I'm used to my 24' boat), but it did very well in waves.

Anyway, I will get some photos taken of it. But, all is running well and I'm excited about it!