Painting over teak???

dmscarp

Cadet
Hello All, I am thinking of refinishing the exterior teak plywood veneer in my 1981 26' sea ray. The solid stock teak trims can be refinished but the plywood is pretty much burnt thru. Tried to lightly sand but it just looks like crap. Thinking some sort of epoxy paint but not sure paint and teak wood mix well, although its pretty dried out. Any thoughts on this? Or is there a alternative covering?? Happy Holidays !!!

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Painting over teak???

Teak is tough to paint over. Not being solid you may have better luck as there less oil to seep up. Best ask someone at a paint store-- may get better info than at Lowes or HD. I never sanded teak-- always teak oil brought it back although several coats may be needed.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If it's teak Plywood you should be able to Paint it with very little problem. Wash it well with hot soapy water, Rinse well then let dry really well. Then do a final sanding and wipedown with acetone. Paint with the Product of your choice. You should get good adherance.

dmscarp

Cadet

Thanks for the input. I am going to do it with an epoxy base paint I think. There really does not seem to be much oil left in the teak. Seems dried out for the most part from being so old an sun bleached.