17ft Starcraft Rivet Repair and Seal

17Starcraf

Recruit
I recently received a boat from my neighbor that he did not want anymore. It came with trailer, 150hp mercury, and a 17ft 1985 starcraft. My neighbor was going to restore the boat but did not have time. He proceeded to separate the bow from the hull of the boat by removing the rivets because he said the seal needed to be replaced. I bought new rivets and a rivet gun to put it back together but I am not sure what he meant by seal in between the bow and hull. It appears that the boat was only held and sealed together by the rivets and a bead of caulk around the entire boat. Does anyone know if there is anything special that goes between the bow and hull on a fiberglass boat? or do i just need to rivet it back together and then caulk the boat? Thanks for any help that can be given.

Last edited:

pckeen

Commander
Re: 17ft Starcraft Rivet Repair and Seal

Welcome to iboats!

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats!

Nope, No special seal for Fiberglass boats between the Top Cap and the Hull. Rivets or Screws is all that's typically needed. You can use some Marine caulking if you want but most times not needed. Some people do go ahead and glass the seam but again not required.

SigSaurP229

Commander

nm not applicable

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

^^^ Yep, WOG's got ya covered.

Only 17ft glass boat listed for 1985:
1985 Starcraft Marine CPS17

Is over powered w/ a 150hp OB out back.

Does your new to you boat have a capacity plate at either the helm or the transom:
capacity_decal_tracker_marine_pro-165_4_person.jpg

Or USCG data plate:
GEDC0409_zps6a63da27.jpg

Welcome to iboats & post up some pix of your new boat.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I have the same boat and just did this about 3 days ago.

No seal and no caulk anywhere underneath the bow cover.

Set it in place, rivet into the gunwales, replace the rubrail and insert, replace the front bow piece. Rivet the aluminum trim back into the bow piece.
On a fiberglass boat Sig?

SigSaurP229

Commander

I didn't know fiberglass boats had the bow riveted to the hull.

Figured they did their gluey, sticky, peanut butter, thingamajig.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Nope, usually the cap fits like the lid of a shoe box down over the hull. Rivets thru the overlap, or screws, kind of randomly, just to hold them together until the rubrail is installed w/ rivets, screws or thru bolts. No sealant. Usually.......

SigSaurP229

Commander

yeah i kind of drew my assumption based on his statement of just the bow piece being removed my problem was i didnt read the last sentence

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

I read the 1st post, typed a reply then went back & re-read the 1st post before submitting my reply....

WTH?? :confused: ???

How did I miss the it's a fiberglass boat detail at the bottom? :confused:

Deleted my reply's text, and started over w/ what's above :facepalm:

SigSaurP229

Commander

yes it has certainly been one of those nights. as completely obvious i am not a glasser guy. i will most certainly remove foot from mouth defer to way more knowledgeable guys Woodonglass being one of the best and find another thread to crash

17Starcraf

Recruit

I tried to provide some pictures of the boat above. Some did not upload because they were to big. Also, in reply to jbcurt00 I do not have the load capacity sticker in the boat. It appears that it was removed because there is a difference in paint color of where it appears it use to be. Anyway, thank you for the help so far, I can now start riveting her back together.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Anyway, thank you for the help so far, I can now start riveting her back together.

No problem, you are welcome. It may be too late now, if you've already started putting the cap back on & re-attaching it to the hull, but while it's apart, you should spend some time thoroughly inspecting every nook & cranny of the deck & below deck structure you can. It won't ever be easier to assess or repair anything then it will be while the cap is off. ESP the transom. Which on an OB boat, requires the splashwell to be removed, either w/ the whole cap or cut off seperately:
CuttingoffBackSplash_zps478eb5b6.jpg

A 1985 boat is still nearly a 30yr old boat. Any wooden structure above or below decks is suspect.

If it's all been checked & cleared for service, then button it up ;)