Composite Stringers

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
This topic comes up from time to time here on the forum. I found this YouTube video and thought everyone might enjoy it. I'm NOT a proponent of anything but Wood Stringers but this is to show you there are alternatives if you want to go that route. There are Pro's and Con's for everything and I'm sure of one thing...This video will probably get the discussion started. I only hope it remains Civil and we don't agree we can at least Agree to Disagree!!!!:D

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Composite Stringers

"Wood" is in your iBoats handle, so why wouldn't you be a proponent of wood. :D

If I had to completely replace a boat's structural grid, then I would probably use a synthetic/composite material. For repair work, it is a matter of putting back what is there originally, and for the most part that is wood.

Nice video find.

friderday

Chief Petty Officer

Wow...horrible editing on video, but interesting topic/product. Wood, my next resto(hopefully next winter) is a boat that is mildly under-powered now, yet very light(17' Seaway, 48 evinrude spl. It needs transom, stringers, deck. One of my biggest concerns is that if I do it with wood as I have now done twice before, the sheer weight that it will add to this now pretty light vessel will make it unable to be powered efficiently by the current engine. So I have been looking into some lighter composite materials. I will be very interested in the conversation about this. Where/how much is stuff like this?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

^^^^ Next resto ^^^^ ! Girl you are a resto machine ! :hail:
Seacast is lighter than plywood per sq inch . But way more $ ...
The one thing that I did not pick up on the vid was how they get the top of the stringers the right height . And how were they gunna attach the deck ? My buddy Commercial fisherman that I used to strike for just had someone rebuild his crab boat using all composite wood free material . He works his boats really hard so we will see how it holds up ..
Btw , the squeaking sound of the knife going through the foam a bit painful to listen to ! :twitch:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Wow...horrible editing on video, but interesting topic/product. Wood, my next resto(hopefully next winter) is a boat that is mildly under-powered now, yet very light(17' Seaway, 48 evinrude spl. It needs transom, stringers, deck. One of my biggest concerns is that if I do it with wood as I have now done twice before, the sheer weight that it will add to this now pretty light vessel will make it unable to be powered efficiently by the current engine. So I have been looking into some lighter composite materials. I will be very interested in the conversation about this. Where/how much is stuff like this?

That boat probably feels underpowered now because it has several hundred pounds of wet foam and wood in it. Clean all that junk out and replace it with new and dry and it'll surprise you with that 48.

friderday

Chief Petty Officer

that's a possibility, for sure, Jig. once it gets up on plane it's fine. need to put the cooler full of fish up front sometimes to plane her out, ha ha. You're right sam, I definitely have a restore sickness. can not wait to do the other one. it is my favorite of all (5) boats on the property.
It's before 7 a.m. & I'm getting ready to go with a buddy & do a little spearfishing. Better start trying to get my wetsuit on....that could take a while...& some powder....