28' Marinette (Aluminum) - Restoration

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1972 - 28 Marinette - side 2.jpg1972 - 28 Marinette - side 1 (2).jpg1972 - 28 Marinette - back 2.jpg1972 - 28 Marinette - old trailer wheels1.jpg1972 - 28 Marinette - back1 .jpg

Through out my life, I've always looked for "the answer". I just found it. I just picked up this 1972 28' Marinette (Aluminum) boat in Jacksonville, Fl, with twin 318 Chrysler (both shot), straight shafts on a 26' ft aluminum trailer for $1000. Drove her and her 8000 lbs back to Hollywood, Fl. She almost killed the transmission on my van. This is my 2nd restoration thread, three years ago, I picked up a free 18' 1968 Starcraft Holiday-OB. I guess I have double curses: tin man and bone yard boats at heart. I'll try to document the resto with as much details and pictures as I can.

Last edited:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 28' Marinette (Aluminum) - Restoration

That has great potential,............

I'll follow along,...........

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Teamster - Marinette are fairly common in WI but here in Florida they're pretty rare. Welcome aboard. First order of business is to evaluate hull condition. I'have found a couple of holes in the back of the hull below the waterline, close to the starboard corner. In the next few days, I will continue to peel away paint and marine growth. I'm thinking of replacing the Chrysler 318's with Chevy 350's. Any thoughts?

Thalasso

Commander

There is one moored a few boats down from me. He took that upper station off and had the whole thing repainted this past summer. It is real nice boat. His also has 318 Chrysler's. They are opposite rotation engines. I think they went out of business in 1991because of the luxury tax.They were built in Kentucky by Aluminum Cruisers Inc

Last edited:

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

Way cool boat, really starts your head spinning! Will be looking forward to seeing her come to life. I got nuthin on the power plant.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Nice find Rich! Between the boat and trailer you've probably got $1K value just in the aluminium!:bolt:
With twin 318's I'll bet that boat was fast. 350's might be scary fast.

One of my good friends has a 32' Marinette about the same vintage. It was petty rough when he got it, but after laboring for 3 years got it ship-shape. He plans to do paint and canvas. He's now got a nice weekend cruiser for very little coin. Love the profile of those boats.
He transplanted a pair of 318's and it's faster (and lighter) than my 34 Silverton.
Pics:

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey guys thanks for the info and the encouragement. Arks - Good pictures. I'm missing the upper deck windshield windows and I just notice how they open up on your friend's boat. Excuse me now but I have to go scraping paint and barnicles.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Wow, that is a lot of tin ya got there. Certainly will be interesting to follow along on this rebuild. Good luck with her.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Way Cool find Rich,:thumb:
Down here those tinnies are rare, especially one like that!
I haven't begun looking for my "answer" yet, but sure would love to find one like you did...
I would like to come aboard and watch this beauty get brought back to like new condition.
Best of Luck and Have Fun!
Gus:D

kevingr

Seaman Apprentice

That's a way cool boat. Having just started my first restoration of a 16' Holiday StarCraft I couldn't imagine jumping into something like you have for my second project. Really looking forward to following
your journey on this one.

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great project! I will be following along as you don't see many large aluminum restorations on here. On the 318s, what all is bad on them? Perhaps they could be rebuilt. I think on some of the older Chrysler inboards one of the motors is a counter rotation.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

ok, being a cheesehead in the sunshine state, you have piqued my interested. cool old boat.

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info. I was going to take the fly bridge off as well but a good friend of mine who likes to fish offshore drop by and convince me to keep it so as of right now, we're keeping and refurbishing the fly bridge. As far as the engines, i hear you about reverse rotation. According to my friend Dieter at MyMarineMechanic.net, the starboard engine is the reverse rotation. I'm looking for someone who might be repowering for diesel that has twin 350 with reverse rotation. selling both engines. The good news is that I have plenty of time to think about it.

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the photos. My wife loved them.

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Paint removal - I was debating to remove or not remove paint but in the end, I need to know condition of hull so I decided to strip paint and barnacle. The previous owner stripped the deck all the way to fly bridge so I don't have to worry. Thanks Pete. I started stern side and moved to port side. I talked to a pro down here, Larry who was nice enough to tell me the tricks of the trade. 1st West Marine paint remover. It's eco & body friendly. Brush heavy, cover it with thin plastic drop sheet and let it do it's job for about 4 or 5 hours. Get a good scraper and voila, it comes right off. Stern paint removed.jpgPort side paint removal.jpgrudder paint & barnacle  removal.jpg

kfa4303

Banned

Cool find Rich! I love mega tinnies. Can't wait to see her when she's done.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Love it! Looking forward to tagging along......

xanthras

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Man that thing is beautiful. I would leave the fly bridge personally. I will be following this one, never seen such a large aluminum boat!

SigSaurP229

Commander

This has potential to be one of the coolest resto's ever I am in.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Follow up now that I have more then a minute....

The 24ft Marinette w/ a single FireBall8 is the 1st tin boat I'd ever been on, and was the 2nd boat I ever helped work on. It was slipped in freshwater, had a bent prop shaft, and needed LOTS of TLC. Not a gut & rehab, but we spent 4+yrs working weekends & summers.............

Sleep aboard, putter out to a cove towing the ski boat then ski &/or jetski all day....... Thanks for reminding me of the great memories, friends & good times..........

Good luck w/ your project.