1970 Starcraft V-150 Deluxe with a evinrude 60 triumph

eviljmizfit

Cadet
Hello I just picked up a 70 v-150 deluxe for free with a trailer both need work the guy I got I from started tearing out looks like black and white speckled vinyl. This is my first boat and I don't know much about them I know I measured it from the back to the point and it is like 18ft the guy told me that the motor only needed some pin to run he got it for free also and didn't know much about it either both seats are there but the right side look like it got ripped off the floor and the seats are off the frame and the right side panel is took off and there is the posts on the side that are rotted I don't know if floor is rotted it looks solid but its snowing a lot right now and I cant get outside to get in it to really check I just didn't know if the side posts where the panels go are attached to floor some how and how to really check to see if floor is rotted any help is appreciated and im guessing on the year I know the evinrude is a 70 and the boat doesn't have a HIN it has a 6 or 7 digit serial number with a flap in the windshield which is cracked but I work at a glass company so I can get that straight but other then that im a newbie

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1970 Starcraft V-150 Deluxe with a evinrude 60 triumph

Welcome to iBoats!

Boats of this vintage typically have rot issues below deck. Based on your description, I'd strongly advise you to investigate this. It is always best to post pics of your boat so the members can see what you see. Best way to post your pics is to open a FREE Photobucket account, upload your pics there, and then use the IMG Code to copy and paste your pics into iBoats. Once the weather breaks, post up some pics, an you'll have plenty of help from all the members.

WelcomeAboard3.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome! Since this is a free boat twice over from the sounds of it, do you have paperwork? I don't know where you're located but no title/paperwork could mean you have a free paperweight.

eviljmizfit

Cadet

Well here some of the pics I gave right now and I don't have no paperwork I live in Delaware though and the research I did said I should be fine im gonna check it out more before I put money into her

SigSaurP229

Commander

That is a really cool looking old boat as DozerII said did it come with paperwork?

You will definetly have some rot issues to attend with. That is a dated motor, and alot of people here will tell you to consider a repower on it. I have personally run 3 different electric shift motors for years with no issues and I have a stockpile of parts for them.

It is a really cool boat it looks like you are going to have the standard stingers floor and transom job to do.

If you aren't up for the task alot of those old Starcraft parts can fetch a pretty penny on ebay.

That trailer certainly needs some attention, I would give it a real thorough going through before pulling that trailer to much.

eviljmizfit

Cadet

Yeah I am planning on taking the boat off trailer and redoing the trailer I have redone a lot of trailers in the past so that is the easy part for me once I find out from DNR about getting paperwork for it they say that it doesn't have to be titled only registered over the past couple days I have been non stop on these forums I picked it up sunday is there a way to tell if the floor is rotted as you can see in the one pic the side is rotted but the floor sounds solid I don't know the boating terms sorry and what do you mean a repower on motor I really like the look of this boat and would like to keep motor and all once it dries out im gonna try and finish pulling out interior and see what there is to do

SigSaurP229

Commander

The only way to tell is to take a core sample, drill a few small test spots and see how the shavings look, if they are dark and wet you have rot, if they are dry and bright you are good to go. You also need to test the transom in several places as well if you are dry and bright colored then get some 3m 5200 and seal it all up after you test drill.

eviljmizfit

Cadet

Thanks for that info I will do that soon as I get it straight about registering it I called dnr today to see about what I need to do and they said to find out if it has ever been registered it don't have numbers on side right now I just don't know going to do a search on it without a hin I think I read somewhere that the coast guard has info I don't know thanks for all the info

eviljmizfit

Cadet

Well I finally got a hold of dnrec in delaware and they said I just got to file for abandoned title and ill be fine so thats good news I got the interior gutted yesterday the floor is looking good had the original evinrude gas tank in it also I thought that was cool so as long as the title stuff goes though ill start getting it fixed back up I am missing one sliding door to cover the tank and battery but the rest looks there just needs redone