trojan "soft deck"?

jmccall001

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking at a 75 31" <br />Trojan- appears great, new (less than 100 hrs on dual chrysler 318 two barrels, velvet drive. <br />The foredeck over the vee berth appears soft. How big a project is repair. The broker claims that it is just a little flex. I don't thin these boats had any flex. Thoughts please.<br />Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: trojan "soft deck"?

what does it look like from below? can you see any evidence of water. take a rubber mallet, tap lightly on the upper surface, listen to the sound, it might give you and indication of rot. Get a survey, worth the money, you'll have peace of mind, or a good negotiating tool.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i agree but is there any help for the guy. some kind of agra.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Buy a 31 year old boat based on what your "friendly dealer" calls a little flex - - - not without a survey from one you hire (not one suggested by the dealer).

Nancy99

Recruit

Be sure to get the boat surveyed. Old Trojans are known to have waterlogged decks. Ours did. It's certainly fixable, but you'll want to adjust the purchase price accordingly.<br /><br />Nancy

wetboy86

Seaman Apprentice

replacing deck is a big job that can run away with you as you find more rot as you go. I have had a hand in helping two friends. one started with a replacing a soft deck at an a/c surround and turned into a entire roof deck and the other was way worse. not trying to scare you away but have that survey for sure.