Alumacraft build

Rage1408

Recruit
This boat is an 84 bandit. i received it as a gift and after slaying redfish and bass I've decided to give her an overhaul. the controls are rotted out, rivets barely are holding, and every wave i hit it seems like the next one might be the one to do her in.

Rage1408

Recruit
Re: Alumacraft build

started taking the boat apart this week. I'm going to repaint, add a jack plate, replace throttle control, re rivet leaks, replace foam, remove carpet, and touch up other various parts.

Attachments

• photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 5-2.jpg
    photo 5-2.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Save your money on a jack plate. You will not see any performance improvements on that hull to offset the cost. Same thing if you replace the throttle control...... what's wrong with yours?

Consider using gluvit on all the rivets after you replace the ones that are bad.

Welcome to iboats......

Nice boat you have there.

jvanhees

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good looking rig already! Have fun...and welcome to the site.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Nice fishing rig man, welcome to iboats:welcome:

Rage1408

Recruit

Save your money on a jack plate. You will not see any performance improvements on that hull to offset the cost. Same thing if you replace the throttle control...... what's wrong with yours?

Consider using gluvit on all the rivets after you replace the ones that are bad.

Welcome to iboats......

Nice boat you have there.

I fish in bays a lot ( 2-3 ft) of water sometimes shallower. Was wondering if a jack plate would be beneficial so I wouldn't have to tilt the engine completely out of the water all of the time. The throttle handle is badly cracked to the point where it's not repairable, found a suitable replacement at a good $.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The handle itself is replaceable but if you have a line on one great.

Well if you want to run in shallow water ....... you will need a hydraulic plate....be sitting down when you see the prices. A manual one would not be easily adjustable.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Nice tin boat you have there, should fix up really well. Making your older boat into what you want it the way to go and way cheaper than a new one.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

What's that thing like with a 75hp on it? I've got a 1988 Alumacraft Classic 16 that had a blown up 70hp when I bought it and thought that even though it's rated for a 75hp it would be over powered and squirrelly at WOT. I now have a 60hp 2 cylinder on it and does really well plus it draws much less water.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

What bonz says, 16'ers of that hull design can get a bit wild on the ride with max HP. Although your boat will be a bit heavier being double decked, multiple batteries and livewells full of water.

Rage1408

Recruit

Handles really well WOT. I fish mostly saltwater so going across the shipping channels can sometimes be a little rough. All in all it's a nice little boat just needs to be fixed up a little