Fiberglass Questions

MR nova @#25

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Fiberglass Questions

I have plenty of resin, Epoxy and Ploy on hand. Santa was good to me this year :)
What in hearing from all the feed back is. Use double 3/4 ply on the top of the box, single 3/4ply on the side?? 2layers of Woven Roven in the bilge area to support the box. CSM the inside of the box, layup and laminate the box the to hull. CSM the outside followed up with 1708xs 2? it going to weight 90lbs +/-
I put to layers of 1708 last week, will I still need to us 2 layers of Woven Roven?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd use double ply on sides and top. Where did you apply 2 layers of 1708? Have you built the center mount already?

MR nova @#25

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I applied the 2 layers of 1708 to the bilge area, I used the grinder to remove a layer of old Woven roven. I have not built box yet because the angles are kicking my Butt!:laugh:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

My lay up was talking ONLY about how to cover the Mount. For Beefing up the hull, do you have any idea of how thick it is in it's currently state with the two additional layers of 1708? What are the issues with the angles?

Last edited:

MR nova @#25

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have no idea how thick the hull is, Prior to me removing the old Woven the Bilge floor was sturdy. I used 2 layers of 1708 to make up for the 1 layer of Woven I removed.
As far as the Angles for the box. lets just call it operator headspace and timing :facepalm:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Ok, well the two layers of 1708 will add substantial strength to the hull. Angles aren't too critical. If you get close to what was there by "EyeBallin" it you'll be fine. I'd make sure to put down a good thick bed Of PB when you set the Middle Motor Mount in place and then follow the layup for it as I described. First layer of WR should extend 3-4" onto bottom of hull. Next 6" 1708 10" and last 12-14" that will additionally strengthen the hull and hold those twins!!!! When you go to mount the motors you should predrill the holes and then coat em good with epoxy to keep any water penetration away from any bare wood. I'd also recommend Gelcoating the Motor area and NOT using Paint. This will add extra protection.

Last edited:

MR nova @#25

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's a lot of glass! and I APPRECIATE your Help...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yup, but THOSE ARE A LOT of engines. And I suspect you Don't want to do this again. It could be a bit Over Kill but Thick Glass and a bulky wood superstructure will ensure that she'll hold up for decades. An extra $75 bucks buys a lot of insurance!!!!!;)

MR nova @#25

Petty Officer 2nd Class
New topic:After I done digging the cap out and sanded, whats the best way to rebuild it? deck.jpg deck2.jpg GetAttachment.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Not quite sure I understand your question?? Wouldn't you pretty much go back with basically what was there???:confused:

MR nova @#25

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The sides of the cap are 1 1/2in x 6in strips of plywood running from the Stern to the Bow, covered with 1layer of Matt. The Bow and Stern are 6x6 squares covered with with WR. After I remove all the old rotten wood, and grind off the crud. Do I rebuild it back the way i found it?.... But instead of WR under the Bow us 1708?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup, that's what I'd recommend. Pre coat with resin then apply a layer of 1708 and you're good to go.