1991 Conquest 1650 "Restoration"

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1991 Conquest 1650 "Restoration"

It isn't particularly expensive or heavy to ship, but you can cut up you CSM & 1708 scraps & make your own 1/4 chopped fibers.

I'd order 15gals poly resin expecting that you might need to order additional stuff beyond 5 more gallons of resin, gelcoat & foam. I think the 15gals of resin means it's coming freight, which will be by weight. I don't think there's much savings ordering EVERYTHING all at once or in a few seperate orders. If you 'only need' 5gals more resin, or less, and some non-HazMat stuff (fillers, foam, &/or a couple gallons of gelcoat, etc) it won't be shipped freight anyway the next time, which might be cheaper/quicker then freight to boot.

Otherwise, 16ft vs 16.5ft isn't as big a difference as how you mix & glass vs someone else and how much kicks off in the bucket unused, IMO.

Roughly, you can measure the length & width of the boat and the depth at the keel to figure cubic feet:
Foamvolume_zps86d1ac35.jpg

Figure out what combination of foam kits will give you 15-20% overage depending on how accurate you figure those measurements ^^^ are and how much cushion you want to order. If you 'need' 16CuFt, I don't think I'd order 'just' 18CuFt(12% overage), 20 maybe (25% overage).... The expansion rate & total CuFt is based on ideal mixing, ratios and temps for ideal expansion, so......
[SIZE=-1]FOAM-0204[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]4 LB Kit[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]2 Cubic Feet[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]FOAM-0216[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]16 LB Kit[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]8 Cubic Feet[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]FOAM-0280[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]80 LB Kit[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]40 Cubic Feet[/SIZE]

Iboats also now stocks resin & glass, I don't know how they ship poly resin, but I don't think it's freight.

sheerplat

Recruit
Okay, so what ever happened with this thread? Was the boat finished? Inquiring minds want to know....

jbcurt00

Staff member
Sheerplat, SlowJoe hasnt logged on to iboats in over a year, its unlikely he'll be back. This topic is inactive and shouldnt be posted to until Joe returns it to active status.

Thanks

Try to notice the dates of recent posts. If its been 90days+ it should be used for refernece only, like a library book, and not written in. You might try to send him a Private Message (PM) and ask him for an update. Perhaps he'll swing thru and update this topic.

slow joe

Seaman
Whoops! Honestly I've been caught up with a bunch of other things.. Finished up the boat last year. Lemme get everything together and post it up. Sorry for keeping everyone in suspense!! :)

Oh and I should add that I forgot to log back in after I got signed out :) I've been lurking.

Sheerplat, SlowJoe hasnt logged on to iboats in over a year, its unlikely he'll be back. This topic is inactive and shouldnt be posted to until Joe returns it to active status.

Thanks

Try to notice the dates of recent posts. If its been 90days+ it should be used for refernece only, like a library book, and not written in. You might try to send him a Private Message (PM) and ask him for an update. Perhaps he'll swing thru and update this topic.

Last edited:

slow joe

Seaman
So, since my last post, the whole boat came back together, found out that not everything was rotten (with some help from my dad), even used it for the remainder of summer (it went back in the water at the end of July 2014)

Lots of CSM, Resin, PB, a bunch of grinding (which I promise isn't fun), and many long nights later... It's not 100% done, but what project is? I'm still working on the tilt/trim, and some panels getting recovered in the boat. I'll say this though, I love this little boat. :)

So I removed and ground out all of the soft stringers - this wasn't the fun part.

After all of that I went to my local Menards (it was 11% off :))

I cut out some stringers and butted them in -- made everything fit. I glassed them in and pb'd them (didn't get any pics of that)

I also made a "fancy" motor mount with the help of my Dad.

Here are the floor pannels (the best I could get them to fit) -- It was amazing how much I couldn't actually grind away in the floor. I ran into a lot of fiberglass chunks that I didn't want to cut through because I was afraid of cutting through the hull.

After all of this I got the interior back in.

Then myself and a friend got the engine and out drive back in their homes :)

And a few days later ---

I'll say this -- did I do everything 100% perfect, to the book, etc. Probably not. Did it all work out, turn out good, and does it work? Yes! Am I happy with what I've done? Yes, for the time being. I'll say this, after doing all this I wish it were a larger boat. lol

I'll say this. No one is kidding when they talk about the amount of time invested. I seriously can't even explain how much time I invested in this boat.

I ordered all my CSM, Resin, etc from US Composites. Bought all of my other goodies -- replaced the bilge pump (and added a float, which is invaluable), new blower motor, fuel sending unit, etc from Overton's.