1991 Conquest 1650 "Restoration"

slow joe

Seaman
Well, I figured I'd start the thread for my Conquest. I haven't gotten very far on it yet (due to time and a sick dog), but here's the "story" behind it... I had been looking for a boat for some time and just couldn't pull the trigger. Finally in early September I decided to put my '95 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible up for Sale or Trade for a boat. I got a ton of guys with boats that wanted to trade, but none of them were what I was looking for. Finally I started seaking out trades and found this '91 Conquest. It was listed as a '92 Conquest 17', but when I went to see it they said there was a mistake in the ad and it was actually a '91 and 16'. This didn't really bother me since it was still what I was looking for, a smaller speed boat. While I was checking it out (did a lake test), it ran great, no play in the steering, nothing that really stood out other than a soft spot in the floor. The previous owner told me he had it checked out and it just needed some plywood, he just didn't have the space or time and he had just inherited a 22' Fish & Ski so he wanted to get his wife something fun to play with (the convertible). I spoke with my wife, and we both decided it was a good idea and went with it.

In towing it home, it didn't tow like a 16' boat that weighs around 2200lbs, it towed a lot heavier than that (I've towed other cars with my car so I have a pretty good idea how it tows). I figured it was just cause I wasn't use to it and kept on with what I was doing. First thing we did was drop it in the lake out by our place and took about a 3-4 hour "tour" & float session on the lake. I wanted to make sure it didn't sink... lol. Passed that test with flying colors, and just a few weird things came up... It has a strange list to the left, and the steering is a little off. My Dad was concerned with the softness in the floor, and upon further inspection while we were out it was worse than it had originally looked like. At that point I decided to search more on here and realized it'll probably be the floor and the stringers. Luckily I like projects, and wanted a boat. I'm excited for all of the headaches this Conquest is going to bring me this winter, and I hope to have it back on the lake by Memorial Day. :D

Anyways, on with the pictures.

The Car I traded.

My car towing the boat

After it's first day on the lake

In The Garage (yes, I need to clean it up a little)

A couple pics of the interior

slow joe

Seaman
Re: 1991 Conquest 1650 "Restoration"

Few More pics...

A little investigation.. The hole is approximately in the middle of the floor a few inches in front of the back seat.

This could be why my gas gauge isn't working...

The beast!

Battery Box side (just as it came)

slow joe

Seaman

Yup, the PO added a box for the life vests. And they screwed it into the deck. :facepalm:

So I removed it, and found all this great stuff! :rolleyes:

And... Wait, what?!?!? I hope this isn't from the last oil change. LOL

jbcurt00

Staff member

Welcome to the iboats dry dock

Make sure you know where your OMC stands before you put it back in the boat. Doing the deck, stringers (probably) & possibly the transom, fitting a Mercruiser motor will never be eaiser. I think the Cobra keyhole at the outdrive should allow a drop in replacement.

Good luck w/ your project

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

She is a good looking boat. Interior and exterior look great. I wonder who the "expert" was that told the PO all it needed was some plywood? Stock up on headache pain reliever for the winter!!

slow joe

Seaman

DRS, I'm guessing the "expert" that told them it just needed some plywood is probably the same "expert" that did what's looking like prior work on this thing... I haven't gotten far (only spent about 45 minutes between tearing things out and measuring before tearing things out and here's what I've found...

This looks custom...

Just a better pic of all that custom-ness. Yes, that 2x4 isn't covered in any poly, and it is as wet as it looks... From the wood screws in it (which match the ones sticking out of the bottom of the seat) I'm going to guess that someone that REALLY KNEW WHAT THEY WERE DOING put them there. lol

Just another pic... When I was measuring I was trying to figure out why the drivers and passengers sides weren't measuring out evenly.

Looks like I'll be replacing the wood on the bottom of the seats too. Once again looks like an expert did this. Not waterproofed at all.

At least they didn't run the staples where they were before... LOL Although those aren't very heavy duty staples...

Hopefully I get my butt in gear and by the end of december there won't be any interior in the boat, and the floor/stringers/transom (if need be) will be removed and ready for all the new goodies.

If I have to do the stringers (which my guess is that I will) I'll go through the motor and outdrive to make sure that they're both tip top before putting them back in. No sense in reinstalling them if they aren't in good shape. Now if they turn out to not be in good shape, what should I do? Find another 3.0? Look for a 4.3L V6? Go completely mental and find a 5.0 or 5.7L V8? (of course I've never checked the weight difference between these and the 3.0) But ideas are more than welcome. :D

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

Do you think they could have found any longer wood screws!! :eek: Those staples look like galvanized, but hard to really tell what they are. At least you will do the boat justice and use the correct materials. Keep us posted.
Dave

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

I am signing on to follow along!

slow joe

Seaman

Do you think they could have found any longer wood screws!! :eek: Those staples look like galvanized, but hard to really tell what they are. At least you will do the boat justice and use the correct materials. Keep us posted.
Dave

I'm sure they could have Dave, but of course they would have been drywall screws. :lol: The plan is to do it right the first time. I'd rather build it right and be able to use it for 5+ years than half *** it (like I'm guessing the PO did looking at this work) and end up with a boat with a hole in the floor that's not worth what I invested in it. I'm sure this thread will get interesting this winter... Luckily there's enough knowledge around here to keep me headed in the right direction. :D

slow joe

Seaman

Well, I finally was able to get the rest of the interior out. All I can say is :faint2: SO MUCH ROTTED WOOD!!!

Rear Seat back

Rear Seat Bottom It's made of some plastic or fiberglass compound... It's actually rot proof. Although I'm pretty sure those bolts originally were bolted to something solid, and aren't now (I just pulled it out after trying to loosen it with a ratchet)

Hello ROT & Wet Wood...

And the deck delamination... I'm going to guess that all of the wood/drywall screws and random bolts the P.O. put through it didn't help...

slow joe

Seaman

I feel like this hole in the floor gets bigger every time i look at it...

After a bit of rotten wood clean up...

And is this normal practice... Having foam in the side panels behind where the trim panel would go? I'm a newbie so I'm trying to figure it out. Of course the foam is SOAKING WET!

jbcurt00

Staff member

QUIT LOOKING AT THE HOLE! :watermelon:

Yes, foam tucked into every possible location helps the manufacturer meet the level float requirement from the USCG. Every little cubic inch helps.

Yep, wet foam----plays like a broken record around the dry dock....

slow joe

Seaman

QUIT LOOKING AT THE HOLE! :watermelon:

Yes, foam tucked into every possible location helps the manufacturer meet the level float requirement from the USCG. Every little cubic inch helps.

Yep, wet foam----plays like a broken record around the dry dock....

But I like looking at the hole... :rolleyes:

Ah, ok, I'll have to figure out how to put foam back in that area after I put in the new deck then. I'm sure there's a tutorial here somewhere on how to do that... :D

And yes, I'm sure that everyone talks about wet foam and wet wood... I'll say this just by digging into this thing I've convinced myself to buy a lift with a cover for out at the lake when it's sitting there most of the summer...

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I'm guessing because you say you are a newbie, you aren't quite sure how big of project you have there. I say this because you sound just like I did when I bought a boat 2 summers ago and found a "little rot". I'm completely for restoring the boat if that is what you want to do. I'm posting this as a "word of warning" because I didn't understand what I had gotten into.

You can find the build thread here for FriscoBoater (FriscoJarretts), he did the deck and stringers in a SeaRay. I'd suggest hitting his youtube channel and watching his series on his SeaRay and then Carlson projects. There are 89 videos on just the SeaRay. Anywhere from 10 - 30 minutes long.

My huge screw up! - YouTube

If you are ready to invest (potentially) hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars, then by all means go for it!

Like I said, just a word of warning. You may know exactly what you are getting into, I didn't so sometimes I feel the need for a little public service announcement. For me the hours required to fix my boat wasn't worth it. When I realized how bad it was I wish I would have just sold the motor and trailer and trashed the boat. I love projects as well, but that boat project was a little much for me. It would have been much better if I had a heated shop, but I don't. I had to do it outside dodging weather. You can't glass in cold weather and it snowed here in May last year. At that point I was working on a boat when I should have been floating on one.

slow joe

Seaman

Honestly, thank you for the words of warning. IF I would have known what I know now before trading for this boat I may have passed on it. It has some good to it, and some bad... Well maybe a lot of bad currently.

I've never had a boat project before, so I'm a newbie in that sense. As for projects in general I've never started one that I didn't finish in one way shape or form. I'm sure I'll tear more into this thing (currently I only have 2-3 hours invested in stripping it down) and figure out what's the best plan of action. At this point I'm still on the "let's restore it!" bandwagon.

Thanks for posting Frisco's youtube link. I've watched EVERY video on the Carlson, and about 95% of the ones on the Sea Ray. If it weren't for those videos I'd probably be more freaked out and confused on what to do right now.

At this point my feeling is still that if I restore this boat I'll have a well built boat for years to come that I know what's been done to it. So that's what I'm aiming for at this point.

Fortunately I do have a heated shop (it was -17 here last night and I was plugging away pulling it apart in a t-shirt). And I'm aiming for this to be done by May, which means I need to get in gear and get this thing cracking. :watermelon:

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

If you've watched all the videos then you know what you are getting into. Those videos along with other threads here were invaluable in getting the project done. Since you are a project guy you know the satisfaction when these projects are finished.

The tear down and prep work are the worst part. The grinding just sucks. My suggestion is do it while it is cool, and just hammer through it. The building of the stringers and deck is much more rewarding. I actually didn't mind the fiber glassing if I could get the weather to cooperate. Don't worry about the foaming either, it's easy. Just work fast! (And don't freak out when you hear all your hard work creaking a little when it expands to fill the gaps).

Keep everyone posted with pictures and you'll get all the help you need here!

slow joe

Seaman

Well, unfortunately tonight won't be a night working on the boat. I had went to Harbor Freight and picked up some goggles, ear protection, a face mask, knee pads, and some saw blades to start cutting the deck out... And what happened when I walked into my garage? It was 37*... Now most of you may not think that's a problem, however I have my garage heater thermostat set at 45*.

Looks like I'll be tinkering with that trying to figure out how to get the fan running again (or if it needs a new fan motor). Luckily the burner kicks in and cycles, the fan just doesn't start, which could be a number of things. If it just needs a new motor I'll just rig up a box fan for the time being and get a new motor over the next few days... For me this is a bummer because I have all the stuff to start really digging in, and of course something had to break that's not boat related... :facepalm:

slow joe

Seaman

I "fixed" (rigged) the heater tonight -- the blower motor relay went out, so I put one of those on order...

On the boat I winterized the engine at the same time... Just in case...

I did have a friend of mine that stopped over, who happens to be good at fiberglass (from what he said). He looked at it, and we have a plan in place. Time to rip out the deck! Hopefully I can do that tomorrow night and start off the weekend right!

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

Good deal. Keep us posted with some picture as you go! Very good call on winterizing the engine. I hope she wasn't dewinterized in the cold. Did any water come out of the motor?

slow joe

Seaman

Good deal. Keep us posted with some picture as you go! Very good call on winterizing the engine. I hope she wasn't dewinterized in the cold. Did any water come out of the motor?

Yes, LOTS of water came out (actually more than I had expected). I also think it was a good call draining all the water out... Just in case my heater decides it's going to take a hike again. I did a quick inspection for cracks while I was looking, but it looks like I was lucky and nothing froze.

I'll be updating in a few minutes.. I had a few moments tonight of WTF... You'll see why shortly. I'm just waiting for the photos to upload to photobucket...