removing mold/mildew

Dock Side

Seaman Apprentice
I purchased a 2001 2600WA Seaswirl Striper, inside the galley area I have some black spots on the sidewall carpet area. I am assuming it is either mold or mildew. does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean the carpeted area. I was thinking that a steam cleaner might work if I can find someone Thanks Joe

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: removing mold/mildew

has any one been frying in there? if so there is a great degreaser called "formula 88".. spray it on and work it in, then use clean sponge. it great in the bilge and deck. Advanced Auto Parts for about $6 a gallon. Lowes $5 a gusrt. if no cooking use Woolite carpet cleaner.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Dock Side, Bleach is the best mold and mildew killer, but may fade the color. Try Ammonia first, if that fails, you can try bleach on an out of the way place. Remember to rinse away the ammonia, or when you use the bleach you will release a gas which will eat your lungs.

Dock Side

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the posts, Chris I don't want to use bleach cause it will definitely fade the carpet. I'll try a good carpet cleaner and hope for the best.

NOSLEEP

Commander

Try the bleach on an inconspicuous place.<br />If the carpet is made from polyolaphin it will not<br />discolor it. <br />If its made from nylon it will.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Here is some info I ran across on mold/mildew removal;<br /><br />The least expensive solution to this problem (and more aggressive to surface) is common bleach, as a sanitizer which will kill mold and mildew on contact. Mix one part of chlorine bleach diluted with 3 parts of water, allow to stand on surface for 10 to15 minutes, agitate with a soft scrub brush, rinsed down with water, and allow to air dry. TEST AN INCONSPICUOUS AREA WITH BLEACH BEFORE ATTEMPTING AN ENTIRE AREA. IF DISCOLORATION OCCURS, FURTHER DILUTE BLEACH WITH WATER.<br /><br />Your next option would be store-bought X-14®, Tilex® etc. with the same instructions as bleach. Then, an EPA registered spray disinfectant with mold mildew claims like Lysol®.<br /><br />The latest, revolutionary "green" user-friendly, environmentally preferred product to perform this type of cleaning task is "H2Orange2®". It is a total, neutral PH product when added to water and has the lowest toxicity of any product in the marketplace. It contains only 3 ingredients: natural citrus oil (from orange peel) which penetrates and breaks down soils; Surfactants (detergency) which dissolve and suspend soils to prevent streaking; and hydrogen peroxide which OXIDIZES MOLD AND MILDEW, acts as an optical brightener, and safely bleaches out stains.<br /><br />NOTE: Always test an inconspicuous area for colorfastness, etc. before treating the exposed area. Also note that certain stains are permanent.

treedancer

Commander

Go to a janitorial supply house the have some stuff there that you can use on carpet to remove mold after floods.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Do not use bleach products on carpet! You will destroy the carpet's color for sure! Do what Treedancer suggests.....<br />That stuff & a steam cleaner is the way I would go ;) Reelpoor's last product suggestion would be worth looking at...If you can run it through the steam cleaner......JK