86 Sea Ray Restoration [Splashed Oct 2017]

Speak

Chief Petty Officer
IMHO, It's a TANK the way it sits and needs no further "TANKIN"!!!! But I AM just and Old Dumb Okie, so what do I KNOW!!!!!
Goldie. I agree with wood. You will have no problems with the current thickness. I also like the post where everything went wrong. Everyone appreciates the lesson. Great job. I just love watching. :)

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
You're more than okay with the thickness you got, Goldie. The front mount actually doesn't have much engine torque on it. Most, if not all the torque is absorbed through the rear engine mounts, via the "ears" of the inner transom plate. The hull's front engine mount basically needs to be beefy enough so it doesn't flex, crack, rip-out, as the hull takes a pounding on the waves. Flex if significant enough, will result in improper engine alignment underway, and drastically reduce engine coupler lifespan. But I think you got that covered!!! ;):D

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
"THE CATERPILLAR RETURNS PART II" Run for your lives!!! :D Sounds like a good title for a movie!! ;)

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Goldie, great work as usual!!! Glad to see you are still hammering a way at it. Question for you, are you going to put some kind of drainage system in the outboard storage boxes? Seems they might hold water if it gets in there from above....might be to late, but the pastry bag method works great.

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks Corj, my goal is to splash by February 19, my birthday.

As it sits now there is no drainage in the bow or the outboard storage to the bilge. It wouldn't be hard to add a short 1/2 pvc pipe in each compartment as a pass though. Just as a precautionary measure.

I'm open to any suggestions. I'll also touch on this topic in the next video and hopefully some people will chime in.

Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate you!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Goldie, I was nervous about holding water....so I even put drains in the stringers/bulkheads....same method as you with the PVC cut in half. I figured, even if I get water in the boat, dont want it to stay there.

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Also, around the bilge there's 7 storage compartments, I'll lay it out in the next set of videos, 2 are for foam, 1 is for batteries

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Oh, thanks for the pic, I see what your sayn. Everywhere under my floor has been foamed, and at the very bottom is a drainage area where water can run from front to back, it's too late to do your nifty half pvc trick on my rear storage but I can still make pass through holes in all the storage compartments. Next time I'm at the boat I'll do a whole lil segment on drainage.

You tha man!