Best rattle can paint for fiberglass????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm rebuilding a bass boat and have to fabricate some parts for the dash from scratch. I'll be making them from fiberglass (using epoxy resin - 'cause that's what I have on hand). SO, what's everyone's opinion on the best rattle can paint to use for this?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Best rattle can paint for fiberglass????

Ayuh,.... Rustoleum of course,...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd recommend using a $4.00 PreVal unit from Lowe's or Home Depot. Then you can use the Rustoleum oil Base paint and the hardener. You'll get a much more durable paint job, Higher gloss and faster drying time. just thin the paint using 2 oz of Acetone per 6 oz of paint. put it in the jar and Shoot it just like a spray can. Works fantastic. Replacement power units are $4 bucks. You get a new nozzle and tube each time. If you keep the nozzles and tubes soaked in Mineral spirits they'll last a LONG time. You can order extra jars and nozzles online for $1 for nozzles and $2 for jars.
images

Last edited:

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Metric.....I had to get the hardener at tactor supply...Lowes or Home depot did not have it around here.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Same here, I was only able to find Hardener at Tractor Supply. It works well with Rustoleum or Majic (the Tractor Supply brand).

That little Preval Sprayer is nifty... I used roll and roll method on my boat, but making a mental note on the Preval sprayer for future projects (since an air compressor is not in the budget).

OK, thanks. That sounds like a good way to go for a small job like this.

One more question

One more question

When using a paint such as Rustoleum with thinner and hardener, will the re-coat time be the same as shown on the label?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Nope, when using the hardener, on small jobs, you can recoat in about an hour if the temps are in the 70's or higher. It flashes off pretty quickly. You'll be amazed.

John William

Recruit
I do not have favorite rattle but I can suggest you paints I use for fiberglass;

I work for Epic Doors which manufactures high-performance fiberglass entry doors. We evaluated several paint suppliers including TruCoat 623, Sherwin Williams Polane 2K Acrylic, and Aquasurtech D200.

We were looking for an environmentally friendly, single component water based paint that was super durable, had great adhesion and laid down smooth.

Based upon our evaluation we selected TruCoat 623. It was much more environmentally friendly than Polane 2K and is a single component and TruCoat.Us had better adhesion than D200 and was priced better.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
If you go with rustoleum lowes and HD carry a product called Japanese dryer which helps with drying and will flash much faster. The liquid is purple but they claim it will not change the paint color since it is used in small amounts. I used it in black rustoleum so I cannot verify that claim. I would do a test spray if using white or lighter shades

Status
Not open for further replies.