1996 proline w/a.removal of plastic lettering and pinstripe...

Imissedem

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What is the best way to remove the plastic lettering and pinstripe off the hull.then to polishing the boat hull.the sun has never seen this part of the boat.what would be my best bet to polish ...I'm afraid under the pinstripe and lettering will stand out over the rest of the boat...thanks for any info....

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1996 proline w/a.removal of plastic lettering and pinstripe...

YES what lies under the stripe has 17 years of preservation and not fading ..... it's going to show.

A "pin stripe eraser" from napa will eat through the pinstripe w/o any problem

pckeen

Commander

Try a hair dryer set to hot....

phillyg

Petty Officer 1st Class

A heat gun to soften the decal and a plastic scraper. You can use a razor blade, too, but you really have to be careful. No matter how much you polish the area, you'll probably still see the ghost of the removed items. I have heard of, but never used, a product called Ghost-Away or Ghost-Off.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

A heat gun to soften the decal and a plastic scraper. You can use a razor blade, too, but you really have to be careful. No matter how much you polish the area, you'll probably still see the ghost of the removed items. I have heard of, but never used, a product called Ghost-Away or Ghost-Off.

Shop around at parts stores that carry paint supplys or paint stores and ask about PLASTIC RAZOR Blades ;) They work! (But not for shaving)

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have found lacquer thinner on a rag to be very effective at removing any residual adhesive goo.

Imissedem

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for all the input...Will try something in the springtime....