1965 Sea King

Soar Az

Recruit
Hello to all. I'm new to the site. Let me introduce myself My name Scott and I'm from Phoenix, Arizona. I bought a 12 foot 1965 Sea king aluminum boat. The aluminum is in excellent contention. However the wood seats have rotted. My question is what kinda of wood would be best to replace the wood bench seats with? Can you recommend any good sealant for the wood.

Thanks for any help Scott

alldodge

Staff member
Re: 1965 Sea King

Hello to all. I'm new to the site. Let me introduce myself My name Scott and I'm from Phoenix, Arizona. I bought a 12 foot 1965 Sea king aluminum boat. The aluminum is in excellent contention. However the wood seats have rotted. My question is what kinda of wood would be best to replace the wood bench seats with? Can you recommend any good sealant for the wood.

Thanks for any help Scott

:welcome: to iboats Scott

No arborist here, but the type of wood would mostly depend on where your going to keep the boat. If you keep it outside and uncover or covered. For uncovered I would suggest Teak, popular, or cedar with a good sealer. If you keep some kind of cover on it and sealer then many other woods could be used

jbcurt00

Staff member

I'd use a good exterior plywood, ACX if you can find it. NOT pressure treated.

Sealed w/ 3 coats of epoxy on both sides, do the edges w/ every coat (they'll get 6 total). Then paint w/ a good oil based enamel.

They'll last a very long time as long as the boat is stored indoors, well covered or upside down.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

How wide are the bench seat boards? I would shy away from plywood and opt for solid wood, even if you have to use 2 planks butted against each other. You'll need to use a router or sander to smooth and round the edges. If you get some nice grained wood, you could stain it up nice to bring out the grain and then seal it up with a few coats of spar urethane. Be sure to use stainless steel hardware to fasten the boards, pre drill the holes and put a bead of sealer in with the hardware.

Oh yeah and you have to post before and after pics or your boat!

Soar Az

Recruit

Thanks for the replys and help. I will take some pic's soon and post before and after pic's. Thanks again

Scott

Last edited:

Soar Az

Recruit
Re: brass Garboard plugs

I have a ? about brass Garboard plugs now. I have already installed the brass Garboard with 3M 5200 onto my aluminum sea king boat. And now I read in some post the brass may react bad with the aluminum in the boat. Did I screwed up using brass?

Watermann

The layer of 5200 between the 2 metals should take care of the problem of dis-similar metal electrolysis. If not completely, the 5200 will make the corrosion problem someone eases in about 50 years.

alldodge

Staff member

I have a ? about brass Garboard plugs now. I have already installed the brass Garboard with 3M 5200 onto my aluminum sea king boat. And now I read in some post the brass may react bad with the aluminum in the boat. Did I screwed up using brass?

Using aluminum to brass is not good in fresh water and gets worst in salt, I would recommend changing it the stainless. A stainless garboard and a brass plug will work without issue.

Galvanic Chart

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If your boat is Trailered and NOT left in the water for extended periods of time, I think you'll be fine with the Brass Garboard Drain. You can use any wood you want for your seats. Some will be better than others but basically it's going to boil down to how you encapsulate the wood and how you care for and maintain the boat afterwards. The cheapest Pine boards with a coat of Cheap Paint will last a Long time if properly cared for and maintained. If you're planning on abusing her then use the best you can get but even then it won't last very long.;)

Last edited:

Soar Az

Recruit

Well I took off the brass Garboard before the 5200 cure all the way. it was on for 72 hours and a ***** to get off.. but I have OCD and everything has to be perfect. So I'm going with this one now Garboard Drain Plug Kit, Stainless Steel - Seasense The holes look to be the same as the brass Garboard. What do you think I should use 5200 or 4200 just in case I need to take it off at some point. I was thinking using 4200. But I already have 5200. What to do?

Scott

http://www.iboats.com/Garboard-Drai...737328--session_id.354142207--view_id.1084914

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Why do you foresee want to take this garboard plug off after it cures. Before the 5200 kicks in the tube now that it's been opened, I'd use it.

Watermann

Too funny, brass is dissimilar to aluminum as is stainless steel and then put it back on with the same 5200... OCD folks should not listen to everyone on the internet who has an opinion.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Too funny, brass is dissimilar to aluminum as is stainless steel and then put it back on with the same 5200... OCD folks should not listen to everyone on the internet who has an opinion.

... uh, yeah. Brass has a high copper content, and copper is what really corrodes the aluminum. Stainless doesn't contain copper and is pretty harmless to aluminum... and that's why engine mounting bolts and screws for mounting misc. accessories are stainless steel and OEM for all new boats.

Now isn't that just hilarious?:rolleyes:

Watermann

Yah stainless bolts are used so they don't rust not because they love aluminum and they should be coated with a sealer before being put in. Oh and real gut buster, how aluminum and stainless trim tabs with nothing between them and the hull them ate up the transom on my Starcraft. The point is insulating the 2 objects with 5200 or 4200 cures that problem no matter what has or doesn't have copper in it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

What's even better is how plywood pitted and corroded my SN's aluminum transom. Oh and real gut buster, how aluminum and stainless trim tabs ate up the transom on my Starcraft. The point is insulating the 2 objects with 5200 or 4200 cures that problem no matter what has or doesn't have copper in it. :rolleyes:

That was plain ordinary water that pitted your transom and probably behind your trim tabs too... a couple coats of good ol' paint will prevent this.

Google: Galvanic Corrosion and see what you come up with.

Watermann

I don't need to use google, I've actually dealt with it and repaired it, not just read about it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Galvanic Corrosion requires an electrolyte. You can have a dry bin of aluminum and stainless fasteners... no big deal. Immerse them in water, you have an electrolyte and corrosion will occur. This is why galvanic corrosion is a big deal for marine applications. Apply any kind of barrier albeit paint, or caulking and you will prevent the reaction from occuring.

alldodge

Staff member

When someone says been there done that they must be tight otherwise they wouldn't say it.

Guess the marine industry and the Navy should just pay attention to this post and listen :horn: