63 Sea King-Montgomery Ward 12' boat info needed.

paintslinger40

Recruit
Re: 63 Sea King-Montgomery Ward 12' boat info needed.

I just acquired a 12 foot 1963 Sea King aluminum boat sold by Montgomery Ward. The information tag does not allow me to make out the maximum horsepower rating on the boat, and it does not show the maximum capacity as far as passengers and weight. If anyone could help me out I'd be appreciative!<br /><br />Thanks!

my tag says 7.5 but I am using a Johonson9.9 just fine tried to add pic but didnt work if you would like send me your email.

Subourbonman

Recruit

I have a 12 ft '63 Sea King and it's plate specifies that no bigger than a 8hp motor be used. 3 person max at 150# each or 450# max persons and gear.

I have a request from the community, I need detailed plans for the wood on the transom, inside and out. The boat did not have any when I purchased it.

erik votruba

Recruit

I am aware that a 12ft Sea King (Montgomery Ward) is probably best suited for a lake or other small water, however, I am wondering how this boat would do in the ocean under the following conditions: I don't plan on doing anything other than fishing in some kelp beds less than a mile or two offshore, and perhaps doing a beach launch and cruising just outside the breakwater to a few surf spots. Only on calm, fairly windless days. Will this boat be okay with this? I plan on having 2 adult males onboard, using a 10hp outboard motor. Thanks.

dawn

Recruit

I have a Sea King-montgomery Ward boat. I think its from that year. My tag says max weight with gear is 330 pounds. I can't make out the Max horsepower either.

zigzag

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i know this post is getting old but just for reference sake i have a 1974 / 14 foot wards seaking and the plate says 450 lbs and up to 15 hp.

had a 5 horse on it and it was ok, now i have a 9.9 but have yet to try it out on it.

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Congrats on your "new" Sea King!! I bought a 1962 model last week and am "restoring" it. New seat boards, transom boards and the aluminum transom cap. New paint, etc..

I have the ID plate and it's rated for 10 h.p. Mine is serial #62-4335. I guess the first number is the year. :)

Model no. 9091

No weight rating.....

Any Pics??

geokashers

Recruit

I have a 12 ft '63 Sea King and it's plate specifies that no bigger than a 8hp motor be used. 3 person max at 150# each or 450# max persons and gear.

I have a request from the community, I need detailed plans for the wood on the transom, inside and out. The boat did not have any when I purchased it.

I just got one of these 12 footers from a co-worker and it needs work. It has the wood but it's in sad shape and needs to be replaced. I assume I can use the old wood for dimensions but what is the best kind of wood to be using and how should it be finished? Do folks generally like some padding on there too? Or do you just bring cushions? Thanks!

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Geo - I used 19/32" Arauco plywood. (Lowes) I needed my transom to be 1 1/2" thick so I cut two rectangular pieces, bigger than the final shape needed to be. I used PL adhesive to glue them together, clamped them and let them cure for a couple days.

I cut it to the desired shape, sanded it with 220 grit and gave it a good coat of fiberglass resin, especially paying attention to the edges. After a light sanding, I applied 2 coats of Helmsman semi-gloss urethane. I wanted to keep the natural look. The Arauco plywood has a nice grain and is smooth. :) I also used it for new seat boards. I also plan on using 5200 sealer to coat the holes and bolts, etc. before putting them through the transom and seats. I'm using neoprene backed washers as well.

You can use marine plywood (expensive) or a good exterior grade plywood. Some also do not recommend treated plywood as it can react with the aluminum. If it is covered with resin and mat I don't know if that would be a problem or not. Some guys apply resin and a fiberglass mat (and more resin), especially for inner transom boards. I plan on keeping my boat covered and out of the weather.

Are you going to paint the transom boards?

Check out my resto thread. :D

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=428444&highlight=1962+sea+king

Sgt. Stiglitz

Recruit

Hey I have that same boat, mine is a 14 ft one though......
Here is what I have done to mine, I still have to fill in under the benches and a few other little things........The spaces under the benches will be carpeted in CABELA'S PREMIER MARINE CARPET in Gray. The Blue is their Saphire. I have installed a hatch over the gas tank and another one in the stern. Mybe later I will install a live well back there......I am pushing it with a 1984 Belguim de rated 5/6 HP Johnson.

http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=15880

101_1222.jpg

101_1234.jpg

101_1182.jpg

101_0768.jpg

101_1177.jpg

101_1164.jpg

dmattva

Cadet

Hello fellow boaters,
I am so impressed with what you all can do to restore boats, that I have decided to restore a 12 foot Montgomery Wards See King. I need lots of help. Thus far I have taken the seats out and I'm trying to figure how to put in a floor. There is a grooved slot all around the boat. Should I or could I slot the flooring into those grooves? Does anyone have pictures of how they did the flooring and seats on this boat? I appreciate any help and advice. Thanks
-Dennis

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats.
Instead of reviving this old thread you should start your own!!! Title it something like "Restoring a 12 foot MW Sea King"
You'll get LOTS of help. Post some pics of your boat. WE LOVE PICS!!!!

dmattva

Cadet

Thanks Lieutenant Commader Woodonglass! I indeed have posted a new thread. Taking pictures this weekend and I am so excited to do this with all of your help!
-Dennis

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

GREAT! Look forward to SEEING thos pics. You WILL recieve a LOT of help on THE BEST BOATING SITE ON THE WEB!!!!!

dj81462

Recruit

Hi,
Hoping someone can help me out. I have a montgomery ward seaking 12' rowboat and need to get it registered. I have the bill of sale, but the yr and serial numbers are not on it. Can't find any other identification other than a model # on the transom plate, 60-53116. Is that actually the serial number? Is the year 1960?
TIA, Dave

chrisidcw

Recruit

Does any ony one know where I can buy the original color for a 1970's Wards Sea king 12 foot aluminum? trying to restore to original color