• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

jon boat that leaks, what should i seal it with

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jon boat that leaks, what should i seal it with

my 1970s flat bottom jon boat that i am now trying to turn into a nice little bass boat leaks through the rivet holes ( i think ) theres no cracks and the only patch isnt leaking... i have filled the boat ( 1/4 ) with water and it just seemed to leak in a kind of all over area ( it all just came to the center and dripped) so i was told to flip the boat over and clean it up then put some kind of sealant on then when it cures paint it... is this the right method? what sealant should i use? what paint should i use?thank you for any help in advance...

Re: jon boat that leaks, what should i seal it with

I just read another post about sealing rivits. There was some talk about using a small anvil on one side and hitting it with a hammer to tighten it up, then it went onabout different paints and sealers. Check it out and see if there is any helpful info. Valco rivits-seal and paint or repair rivitsgoodluck!

Comment

Sorry about the spellig on rivet, brain fart.

Comment

Coat the inside with a rubberized paint like Durabak. It wears like iron, and with proper surface prep will stick to anything...

Comment

had a Jon boat with a few leaking rivets. I did the hammer anvil thing and then took flexible epoxy (the kind in a small two part mixing tube found at walmart/autozone) and put it on the outside around the rivet. They have not leaked for 3 years now...Scott

Comment

sealed a old rivited canoe that leaked badly with Gluv-It. Rubbed seams with scoth-brite pad and painted it on with a brush. Worked great.

Comment

Use "Gluv It".Available at:www.***************

Comment

Originally posted by 2manyboats: Coat the inside with a rubberized paint like Durabak. It wears like iron, and with proper surface prep will stick to anything...
                trying to fix leaks from the inside never pans out like you want it to. epoxy from the outside and re-riveting / re tightning will work best.for the collisions/leakers at the yard, we would drill em out , straighten the plates and re-rivet with closed back poppers and life caulk. thats what the "tinny" rep's wanted to maintain the warranty.
                '71 Seaking resto http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...ion-62912.html

Comment

I've got a 1978 aluminum jon boat that leaks pretty good at times and I am planning on having the bottom sprayed with truck bed liner. Check into it.

Comment

COP, don't recommend it. it will cause extreme drag.
                    FLORIDA GATORS
                    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
                    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

there are paints that will seal as well as bedliner, but will be glass smooth and wont be a drag.
                      '71 Seaking resto http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...ion-62912.html

Comment

[IMG]http://www.***************/images/full/16746_f.jpg[/IMG]
                        One application of this excellent barrier coat finds, fills and seals hidden leaks and cracks in wood and fiberglass. Abrasion- and impact-resistant, it flexes with hull or deck to prevent cracking. Withstands water pressure of over 4,000 pounds per sq. ft. Seals aluminum seam and rivet leaks. Compatible with most marine overcoats. Neutral color.
                        why would you use anything else?

Comment

Scrumbler - What are the names of these paints?

Comment

sold the jon boat, and gave him all the advice you guys gave me...thank you all so muchzuke

Comment

Working...
                            X