jon boat that leaks, what should i seal it with

zuke

Seaman
jon boat that leaks, what should i seal it with

my 1970s flat bottom jon boat that i am now trying to turn into a nice little bass boat leaks through the rivet holes ( i think ) theres no cracks and the only patch isnt leaking... i have filled the boat ( 1/4 ) with water and it just seemed to leak in a kind of all over area ( it all just came to the center and dripped) so i was told to flip the boat over and clean it up then put some kind of sealant on then when it cures paint it... is this the right method? what sealant should i use? what paint should i use?<br /><br />thank you for any help in advance...

Ranger01

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: jon boat that leaks, what should i seal it with

I just read another post about sealing rivits. There was some talk about using a small anvil on one side and hitting it with a hammer to tighten it up, then it went onabout different paints and sealers. Check it out and see if there is any helpful info. Valco rivits-seal and paint or repair rivits<br />goodluck!

Ranger01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry about the spellig on rivet, brain fart.

2manyboats

Seaman

Coat the inside with a rubberized paint like Durabak. It wears like iron, and with proper surface prep will stick to anything...

Justaboatin

Seaman Apprentice

had a Jon boat with a few leaking rivets. I did the hammer anvil thing and then took flexible epoxy (the kind in a small two part mixing tube found at walmart/autozone) and put it on the outside around the rivet. They have not leaked for 3 years now...<br /><br />Scott

bowlin257

Seaman Apprentice

sealed a old rivited canoe that leaked badly with Gluv-It. Rubbed seams with scoth-brite pad and painted it on with a brush. Worked great.

D

DJ

Use "Gluv It".<br /><br />Available at:<br /><br />www.westmarine.com

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by 2manyboats:<br /> Coat the inside with a rubberized paint like Durabak. It wears like iron, and with proper surface prep will stick to anything...
trying to fix leaks from the inside never pans out like you want it to. epoxy from the outside and re-riveting / re tightning will work best.<br /><br />for the collisions/leakers at the yard, we would drill em out , straighten the plates and re-rivet with closed back poppers and life caulk. thats what the "tinny" rep's wanted to maintain the warranty.

I've got a 1978 aluminum jon boat that leaks pretty good at times and I am planning on having the bottom sprayed with truck bed liner. Check into it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

COP, don't recommend it. it will cause extreme drag.

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer

there are paints that will seal as well as bedliner, but will be glass smooth and wont be a drag.

phatmanmike

Captain

16746_f.jpg
<br /> <br />
One application of this excellent barrier coat finds, fills and seals hidden leaks and cracks in wood and fiberglass. Abrasion- and impact-resistant, it flexes with hull or deck to prevent cracking. <br />Withstands water pressure of over 4,000 pounds per sq. ft. <br />Seals aluminum seam and rivet leaks. <br />Compatible with most marine overcoats. <br />Neutral color. <br />
why would you use anything else?

Scrumbler - What are the names of these paints?

zuke

Seaman

sold the jon boat, and gave him all the advice you guys gave me...<br /><br />thank you all so much<br /><br />zuke