Valco Rivets - Seal & Paint or Repair Rivets

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1979 Valco Aluminum boat with some leaking rivets, I can go out all day and ust the pump to drain but i'd like to repair.<br /><br />I have two question.<br /><br />1. It seems like there a lot of sealer products on the market that would allow me to seal the rivet ans paint the bottom.<br /><br />2. Or is repairing the rivets a simple procedure?<br /><br />Jerry

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Valco Rivets - Seal & Paint or Repair Rivets

I posted this on the boating forum about a leaking toon,..... But I guess it applies here as well.......<br />
Originally posted by Bondo:<br /> Is there Any chance you can position the boat to use the Hole you Found to drain the toon,..???.....<br /><br />Another option for Filling the Hole,.. or Holes,.... Are some of These,...........<br />
B22%20POP%20CLOSD%20ENDOE3.GIF
<br />
B22-POP-ALUM-ALUM-OE4.gif
<br />
closedendblindrivet.jpg
<br /><br />I use them all the time for Aluminum boat repairs,.. Where accessing the Inside is Impossible.......<br />Google up "Closed end Pop Rivet"........<br /><br />1 of these,+ a dollop of Dupont 5200 is a Very Permanent Solution.................... ;)

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

I've been using the regular pop rivets (open end???) for above the water line repairs. They work great, but I wouldn't have used them below the water line. <br /><br />I've never seen these closed end rivets before. They would do very nicely. I'll have to hit ebay for some - never seen them locally.<br /><br />That's a great tip Bondo.

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

One hit on ebay - a box of 1/8 inch diameter rivets. They are marked to be sold through Ace Hardware. That auction doesn't say whether they're steel or aluminum - but they look to be aluminum. <br /><br />Cool.

Bondo

Staff member

Google up "Closed end Pop Rivet"........
I got several Pages of Hits from All Over the World............<br />When I went looking for a picture to add to these posts.......<br /><br />I can Order them locally at the Industrial Bolt store,..... That's where I discovered them in the 1st place,......<br /><br />But,.....<br />The Selection,+ Speed of delivery is Much Better with Mail Order........ ;)

Shockwav

Recruit

Back in the late 1980`s I worked for Hulls inc, this was the builder of Valco , Westcoaster, and Bay Runner Boats before klamath took over the operation and moved it up north.
No pop rivets where used on the Hull, we used Solid Aluminum Rivets with a round head, a Rivet gun and a Bucking bar and rivet sets.
The Gun ( air powered) has a rounded insert that fit`s the shape of the rivet used, one person on the inside of the Hull with the gun, and another outside of the Hull with the Set and bucking bar.
The Gun is Air powered, and is very much like an impact air chisel used to cut tubing like used in exhaust systems, except for the insert that very closely fits the head of the rivet. Please note that I am using this as an example for anyone that doesn't know what a rivet gun is to give you an idea...NEVER try to use a air hammer to drive rivets, you are much better off with a real rivet gun, or if that is not at hand a Ball peen hammer is a better alternative, a Air hammer or Air chisel is much to rough....it is to hard to control and you might end up damaging the skin of the Hull or the rivet.
The Set was used first, this is basically a steel bar with a hole in it the same size as the shank of the rivet that was held against the outside of the hull over the rivet, and the guy inside would "shoot" it a couple of times to draw the metal together, then the outside guy would switch to a bucking bar, this is just a solid piece of steel that was held against the shank while the guy on the gun "shoots" it for a few seconds.
This would expand the shank of the rivet, sealing the hole, and then put a mushroom shaped head on the out side of the rivet to hold it in place. done deal.
When we did factory repairs, most of the time all that was needed was to use the same process, we would re-shoot the rivet, and buck it from the outside, and that would seal the leaking rivet.
If it did have to be removed, we would carefully drill the rivet out and re-install a new rivet the same way.
If the hole was damaged, you just drill it out and install a rivet with a larger shank diameter.

You can do the same thing with a Ball peen hammer and some rivet sets and bucking bars.
Here is a picture of some riveting tools, and I am sure most of you guys know what a ball peen hammer looks like , Lol :D
!BtdB(JQCWk~$(KGrHqIH-CoEvpj(hvRgBL8Ds2yUFQ~~_3.JPG
Here is a web page that has the type of Rivets used.
http://www.rivetsinstock.com/rivet71.htm
Look at the round head rivets

This is the Same process that was/is used in building Air Craft with solid rivets, so you can find these tools under Aircraft tools...it is even possible to find them on E-Bay for reasonable prices.
Here is a web site that has some good tips about selecting and driving rivets, it is aimed at Air craft, but it still apply s to Alum Boats
http://dad.walterfamily.org/rv/TonyBingelis/Rivet%20Gun%20Notes%20and%20Riveting%20Tips.html

I hope this help`s....
I know this is an Old thread....but it got me thinking about the old days and....well.....
by the way, I just found this forum today, and have been reading around a bit...I guess this is my way of saying Hello.
Have a great day.

Jeff