Fiberglass Repair & Paint - Dry Storage and Freshwater Use

twhite2345

Recruit
I plan to completely strip and refinish the hull of my fiberglass 1984 Hobie Holder daysailer. I keep it in a dry mooring during the season and use in a freshwater lake. There is gravel at the mooring and in the shallow water. I have lots of small scrapes and a few larger spots that need fiberglass repair before repainting. I'm Ok with the fiberglass repair, but I have no idea what primers and paints to use. Please offer any helpful advice. Again, it does not sit in the water, and it does take some abuse by dragging it into and out of the lake.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fiberglass Repair & Paint - Dry Storage and Freshwater Use

If you want to Paint it on the "Cheap" but still have a fairly durable finish, I'd recommend using Tractor Paint with Hardener. Once cured it's really durable and stands up well. NO paint will last long when constantly being dragged over a gravel surface so don't expect miracles. Details on how to prep and paint with the Tractor paint can be found here..."Paint Your Boat for Under $100 Bucks...Well Almost"

twhite2345

Recruit

Thanks for the info. I usually lay down an indoor/outdoor rug and use pvc pipe to roll it, so it doesn't take TOO bad of a beating, But it definitelyto does takenot some punishment. Your tractor paint and hardener suggestion looks like a very good idea. Are there particular brands you'd recommend?

twhite2345

Recruit

I just noticed your link had more detailed information in it. Thanks very much.