14' Sea Nymph Oh Yeah! Now 1971 LUND 14-S

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer
Hey Bear you have some nice progress going on here! Why didn't you spray your paint on instead of rolling it? I am just curious

bear_69cuda

Commander
Very nice ! Yep once ya get used to the way it rolls it does a pretty nice job ... I like to lay it on just a bit heavier than thin ,if that makes sense, and then just using 2 fingers on the roller handle go slow with just the weight of the roller and the bubbles start to disappear ...

Thanks phelps. I noticed thicker the better, I think my initial reason went thin was two fold. I was in learning mode, and I feel improperly applied thick may yield to cracking with metal flex. I can't believe how good my first crappy test looks! :)

bear_69cuda

Commander
Looks great!! Your set up is what I'm really wanting to do with my tin. Does the Merc you got with it have any issues or is it ready to go? You do excellent work!

Hey thanks Eric!

The merc is in need of a tune-up but is in real good condition. Under the cowl looks crazy clean and well maintained...

bear_69cuda

Commander
Hey Watermann,

Thanks dood...

I'm not sure I've pulled it off yet...

Thanks Glenn,

I'd like to spray, I'm being lazy about lack of proper equipment, and space. Just don't have the gumption to make a pseudo spray tent and my close neighbors comment about fumes at it is... If I had a detached shop with no neighbors I'd spray everything!

seanymph85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an 85 Sea Nymph 14 R Big Water. Is that what this is? A 14R Big water that is. When you do renovations I would be curious to see pictures of the decking under the bow area. As I am uncertain how to approach that area with regards to stringers or supports etc.

bear_69cuda

Commander
I have an 85 Sea Nymph 14 R Big Water. Is that what this is? A 14R Big water that is. When you do renovations I would be curious to see pictures of the decking under the bow area. As I am uncertain how to approach that area with regards to stringers or supports etc.

Hello

Actually this is a LUND S14, I actually bailed and sold the Sea Nymph and bought this current LUND project. My thread title may be misleading if you didn't skim through all the pages. The way I made the front deck supports on this boat is likely how I would have built the SN. If you like back a few pages I have everything documented...

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Glenn,

I'd like to spray, I'm being lazy about lack of proper equipment, and space. Just don't have the gumption to make a pseudo spray tent and my close neighbors comment about fumes at it is... If I had a detached shop with no neighbors I'd spray everything!

Ah I understand :) Looking forward to seeing more pics :)

bear_69cuda

Commander
Hey Gang,

I've finished the third coat of white using roll-roll method. Despite some orange peel I can't believe this paint was rolled on. I have a few sags, and some oopsy doopsies, but whatever it's a fishin boat... I've ordered all the parts to convert my trailer from roller to bunk, so as soon as that is dialed in, I flip the boat and finish the interior. I dig the white with natural aluminum bottom.

01DEC2013%2B253.jpg

01DEC2013%2B252.jpg

01DEC2013%2B258.jpg

01DEC2013%2B251.jpg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Man that looks great Bear! :thumb:

I wonder why I like it so much...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You guys are NEVER gunna catch any fish!!! They'll ALL be wearin' sunglasses due to the Glare from those hulls and they'll never be able to see your bait!!!!:eek::D:lol::laugh::bounce:

bear_69cuda

Commander
It's your boats little brutha... It does look very sharp... I really love how perfect your paint looks Watermann... The aluminum is perfect looking... Actually the whole boat is perfect looking... You dominate my friend!

Hi Mike!

I used 4" foam rollers from ACE ~ $7 for a six pack...

64osby

Admiral
Looks great Bear. Rolling along.:lol:

Except for your trailer shortly.:watermelon:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Hi Mike!

I used 4" foam rollers from ACE ~ $7 for a six pack...

Were they the Ultra Fine High Density ones?
pACE3-5989928dt.jpg

Using these and Re-Rolling with an almost dry roller should yield an almost totally smooth surface, free of any Orange Peel if you use a really Light stroke.

Last edited:

bear_69cuda

Commander
Hey Mike,

They were fine high density foam rollers. I think the orange peel was from the primer coats I didn't thin out.... The white paint flowed nicely, I think I'm seeing the primer orange peel. You really need to look closely to see it...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
OH, OK...I gotcha. Yeah, the pics look REAL NICE. I can't see much of a problem!!!!:D;)

bear_69cuda

Commander
I converted my roller trailer to a bunk this weekend. I have some tweaking to do, and decided to leave the trailer color alone. I think it looks fine with the white, aluminum and grey... Also managed to get the boat flipped and right side up! Need to paint the interior hull and bulkheads and start final assembly....

01DEC2013%2B283.jpg

01DEC2013%2B265.jpg

01DEC2013%2B276.jpg

01DEC2013%2B281.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Wow Bear ! That looks really nice !
Kinda like the green trailer .. Maybe pinstripe the boat with that color ...

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Things should start coming together pretty quickly now that the Lund is on it's carriage.