Rivets on hatch doors

rick j

Cadet
Can someone give me a short course on what tool I need to install solid aluminum rivets? I'm redoing a Lund, and the carpet on the doors goes under the hinges, which are riveted. All the rivets have to be drilled out and new ones installed. I've been looking at used pneumatic squeezers, either "c" type or alligator type, but I know nothing about them. The prices are high so I'd like to know what has worked for others. They are 3/16 rivets. I have a lot of doors and will be doing more boats, so I can invest some in tools. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: Rivets on hatch doors

I would use stainless steel machine screws and nyloc or T nuts nuts to fasten on hatch hinges.

pckeen

Commander

You need a rivet gun (not the ones for pop rivets). Something like this. You could also use a air hammer with the appropriate rivet punch. You then need someone on the other side of the door with a bucking bar (basically a steel plate - I've done it with a sledgehammer head), who holds it against the other side of the rivet.

If you are only doing a few, you can do it with the appropriate size rivet punch, a hammer, and a sledgehammer head - but the results may not be pretty, and it takes some elbow grease.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... I use closed-end pop-rivets,...

Solid rivets, installed with a pop-rivet gun,....

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class

If all you are doing is attaching the door to the frame just use regular rivets. I put new vinyl on the front deck of my alaskan and the standard rivets are fine. Anything more is overkill.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Ayuh,.... I use closed-end pop-rivets,...

Solid rivets, installed with a pop-rivet gun,....

Yup, if you're going to be doing a lot of them this will be your cheapest, quickest, and most secure option.

I love the rivets, but on my personal boat I swapped over from rivets to stainless machine screws and nyloc nuts on my hinge to hatch and the hatch pulls too, makes removal a lot easier.

My hinge and hatch pulls were installed with open end blind rivets at the factory and they became loose after a few years, the closed end rivets won't do that.

rick j

Cadet

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I'll be using the closed end blind rivets and not opt for the extra time and expensive tools needed to use the solid rivets like were used originally.
This was my first post on this forum and the quick feedback was great.