14ft Livingston double hull

kmjohnson726

Recruit
I just got my grandfather's 14ft fiberglass double hull Livingston boat and it needs some repairs. My step father somehow put holes in the top of it by the oar spots, also the lifted part that the hook the clips to the trailer is screwed into is cracking on the edges causing that square to come off, and last the hulls are week almost like im going to fall through it what do i need to do to fix this boat?

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 14ft Livingston double hull

HI km. Welcome to iboats. It sounds like the old boat has quite a few issues. The only way to fix cracks and rot properly is to cut them out and replace and and all wood and fiberglass. While it can be done by a DIYer, there is a lot of work in the form of grinding and sanding which requires special clothes and respirators. The good news is that you're in the right place. There are tons of folks here in the forum that can walk you through the job, if you decide to give it a shot. Posting a few pics will help too.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 14ft Livingston double hull

Livingstons are designed to be light and cheap, not necessarily the most durable small boat on the market, the good part is they can be repaired rather easily. The hulls are thin when new and flex a great deal, the biggest problem is that they wear through from beaching very quickly. I have two of them, I put another layer of glass on the entire hull (both hulls) of one, the other is leaning up against the shop waiting it's turn, it may be a long wait though. Post some pics and people here can walk you through the repairs