95 Glastron SSV 175 Interior and exterior repair

Martine Brucheau

Seaman Apprentice
Hello guys and girls. I just bought my first boat ever. would you believe that at my age. anyways I have lurked and found a gentleman that have restored a Glastron. I would like to redo the interior. I wanted to take the seats out towards the rear and make bench seating, but that's impossible because of the engine cover dead center. The supports that hold the seats in place are weak. I don"t like the dual seats for driver and passenger and found sitting in the drivers seats makes me feel cramped. I would like to replace both seats with nice Captain chairs that are adjustable. and have more room in the rear seating area by eliminating the dual seats.

I also want to redo the interior up front, The back cushion located in the bow on the right side above the seat has pulled from the boat or fiberglass. I did not know all the seats have some sort of wooden back, is their a way to fix this? I actually would like to make this entire area a platform and fish occasionally , or maybe reverse seating from seats to platform. is their a way?

Is it best to buy a online Bimini top or custom made? funds are not a problem as I will take the necessary time through the winter to get her ready for the summer 2014

where can I find a boat cover that snaps on to the front windshield where the silver snaps are? here is a few pics of the boat, thank all for your help

sweet addiction

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 95 Glastron SSV 175 Interior and exterior repair

Has the ski locker lid cracked yet? If not does it show any signs of stress? If so I would take care of it right away because you will not find another one. Many people myself included, have tried to find one and I've come to the conclusion that it is a fools errand.

Martine Brucheau

Seaman Apprentice

no the ski locker is good and no signs of cracking at all. Also, I reinforced it with metal bars on each strip and used screws and bolts. I found this in another online search and figured I would do the job now. I also never plan on using the ski locker ever. Too bad it wasn't a option.

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Hey martine, congrats on you're new purchase. I too just bought my very first boat and I love it so much that I have already started tearing it apart. It is also a glastron.
I think your boat would be great with a casting deck. But In my opinion you should just try to engineer a platform that will just cover the seats when you choose to use it for fishing. That way if you just wanted to hang out on the lake or something with some freinds, you would still have the available seating. I only say this because the previous owner of my boat actually cut the seating and storage compartment right out of the boat to make a custom deck.
Dont get me wrong. I did really like having the bigger casting deck, but it really limited passenger space on the boat for when we just wanted to relax and hang out. Now I really want to try and return it back to the way it was but I dont know if it's even possible.
I would also like to say that I think from seeing your pics that you have a great looking boat. Nice choice and good luck with your project!
Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure I have seen another manufacturer with a fish and ski type bass boat that is produced with a removable casting deck for the bow seating area. It may be the Nitro boats. You ought to maybe check it out if you're interested. Maybe you could try and work from that design.
Once again, nice job on the new boat and good luck on your project. Try and keep us posted on your process and progress.

Martine Brucheau

Seaman Apprentice

Hey martine, congrats on you're new purchase. I too just bought my very first boat and I love it so much that I have already started tearing it apart. It is also a glastron.

Thank you so much buddy and congrats on your purchase as well. What years and model Glastron you have? Yes you are right about the seating area, I do want to keep it, but I wanted to do the flip over to deck style. I also want to do snap in carpet, so that when i fish, i can remove the carpet. I saw one member here, cant remember his name, but he also has youtube vids on his restore glastron. He did a marvelous job and it's the way I would like my boat, I have sent him messages but he has not returned my message on either this forum or youtube. Having information makes it easier for me when transforming mine.

Are you going to do pictures and video of your restore? I am , it would be nice if you did.

I am also wondering could I change my steering wheel and gage cluster out for a up to date model? Thanks again and keep in touch.

p.s Do anyone know how to friend request members? I have not seen any button that allows you to do so

jbcurt00

Staff member

I am also wondering could I change my steering wheel and gage cluster out for a up to date model? Thanks again and keep in touch.

p.s Do anyone know how to friend request members? I have not seen any button that allows you to do so

You're probably talking about Friscoboater, he has 3 projects on iboats currently: 2 finished (1 sold), and a CVX he's currently taking a break on, but has a substantial amount of put back complete. Find a post of his & it should have a link to his boating Blog, might reach him there......

Your redo of the boat is limited by your imagination, your skill set & your wallet. New steering wheel & gauges shouldn't be a problem & shouldn't be prohibitively expensive, no matter your budget.......

Friend request sent...

This is how I did it:

Left click users name
From the drop down menu select 'Add as Contact'
That will take you to a new window, and ask you to confirm that you want to add that user as a contact
It will also have a check box: 'Also send a friend request to User XYZ'
There is a 'Yes/No' button to confirm the add contact & send friend request.

Choose Yes

That will send a link for the user you've asked to friend, they can reply yes or no:watermelon:

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Martine, good to hear back from ya. My Glastron is a 1982 hpv165 bass boat. I recently started a restore thread for it under the title 1982 Glastron hpv165 bass boat restore. Im not too far along yet but im workin on it.
I noticed that you wanted some snap in carpet. I had never really considered that as an idea, but it would probably work out pretty good if that's the way you choose to go with it.
Consider this route too if you will. I have been following along with a thread started by budski titled 2000 Starcraft Starfire 1900 refurbish. Budski chose to replace his carpet with a grey colored marine vinyl. It looks DANG good in my opinion and im pretty sure thats the direction I'm headed after seeing the pics he has posted in his thread. You should have a look. And thanks on the request.

Martine Brucheau

Seaman Apprentice

Oh nice! Thanks for the info maryhannaj, I will go have have a look at his thread.

Martine Brucheau

Seaman Apprentice

Hey guys, I have just re-looked at FriscoBoaters Glastron build and those are the seats I want, Anyone know the names of those particular pedestal seats and where can I buy them, Thanks

1995 Sea Ray 220 Signature Deck and Stringer Restoration (SPLASHED!!!)

jbcurt00

Staff member

Is that the 1 he still has or the 1 he sold?

Be back........

jbcurt00

Staff member

I don't know if he ever posted where he got the seats or the pedestals.

You'll have to reach him. Or re-post a pix of his setup & maybe someone will recognize them. Pedestals can be found online lots of places, but his specific seats maybe a challenge to 'find'... Iboats carries both seats & pedestals.

Martine Brucheau

Seaman Apprentice

yes its the seats from the boat he still has, it's the 95 sea ray

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Hey martine. How's your project coming along. Are you having any luck with that casting deck? I would like to know what you come up with. I'm gonna have to add one of my own, but I don't think I'm gonna put it back the way it was before. So if you figure out how to engineer something cool, maybe you could help me out with an idea or two.

Martine Brucheau

Seaman Apprentice

Hi their buddy, Project coming along just fine. I have not torn anything out yet, I actually took her to the river to test it. I had a mechanic look her over and he was amazed at how clean the motor was and found no issues except adjusting the carburetor and timing. He also checked for dry rot all around the boat and poke here and their and found everything solid :clap2:

What I have done:

: I ordered new captain chairs for the driver / passenger (no longer have those back to back seats ewww)
: I am reupholstering all seats and side panels (I am a leather maker and have been in my generation for over 125 years)
: I tinted the windows on the boat
: Ordered bimini top ($1000 plus :eek:) :joyous:
: Painted my trailer (It's gorgeous now ) updated all lighting and rewired the entire trailer (also changed out the coupler, wench, and security chains and had wheels repainted)

Projects over Winter:

: take out all old carpet ( put in snap in carpet)
: recheck floor (will replace it along with brand new transom)
: repainting entire hull (customizing)
: customize drivers dash and gauges
: Replace steering wheel (modern)
: paint in hull numbers

p.s I am following the lead of FriscoBoaters / Sgt Benjamin LaDuca :)

I will have this done fast, retired and still moving by the grace of God brother

Last edited:

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

I think it sounds strange when you say that you put a motorized boat on a river. Around here, most of what our maps call rivers you could shoot a daisy red rider bb gun across.:laugh: Funny but true.
Thats really great that everything on the motor and transom is turning out to be solid. I'm glad that you're getting so much accomplished. You should post up some pics of you work though. We all like pics I think. Keep us posted.

Martine Brucheau

Seaman Apprentice

LOL, You forget, I live in the Sacramento Valley, Ca, and the American River is long and huge and runs a long way, here is information just to show you how big this river is. We do have Lakes here, some you can operate boats and some you can't, but nonetheless heres some info American River - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do have pics and will be putting them up at some point, Oh, by the way, You ain't shooting no bb gun across this river. won't make it, lol

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

From the pic on the website, that's actually about the same width as some parts of our Green river, Colorado river and the small part of the Yampa river that I have seen. I still wouldn't feel good about running a motor boat on one though.
However, I have fished some of Idaho's Snake river from a drift boat and did see some pretty big touring jet boats running it. That's a very beautiful river too.

Martine Brucheau

Seaman Apprentice

Actually what you see on the link is a lower part os the river. The river is much wider, trust me, I am uploaded videos of my test run before restoration, this was done on last week on my anniversary as i celebrated with the wife and best friend. I will have them up by tomorrow