Fiberglass Restoration project

2face628

Recruit
I have a 1972 14' V Hull fiberglass. This is my first boat I have all the tools and 60 gallon air compressor. I just need pointers and help with the restoration. The first thing I need to work on is the transom, it's rotten on top my idea is to cut the transom out and rebuild a new one with plywood and fiberglass toped with some epoxy resin. I believe it's only rotten half way down but I rather replace it. There's some fiberglass damage on the front of the boat from the anchor rope sliding on it for years. My goal with this boat is to build a deck on the front and to lay carpet and just make it look brand new. How do i upload pictures to this forum?

Mr5cott

Cadet
Re: Fiberglass Restoration project

I am fairly new here and new to boats but from what I know so far is DONT cut the transom. Not in the literal sense. Do check out seacast as an option. It does involve cutting the cap but then you remove the wood from inside between the fiberglass skins and then prep and then fill with seacast. That is only one method. Others do involve cutting transom but in a certain way. Many others can offer a multitude of suggestions. Good luck

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to the dry dock 2face! first off posting up as many pictures as you can is most important. a large number of iboats users have a free photobucket account for managing their pictures. I would get that going then ask questions as they come up. Next I would read through info on the signature line of Woodonglass for fabricating transoms decks and stringers. Also you can check current builds of people with similar boats, but not sure what you have yet, by using the search mode.

As far as materials and methods there are many and it is totaly personal preferance. With that being said most including my self have used the polyester resin and aruco plywood for transoms decks and stringers. Some use Epoxy which has benefits but it's more money.
Some use seacast as Mr5cott has mentioned it's totaly up to you!!
A good source for materials is us composites.

My best advice is to school yourself on the forum and ask as many questions as you like!

Let the fun begin!:eagerness::popcorn:

SBB

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hi and welcome to the dry dock, 2face...
Couple of things...
Can't tell for sure, but your boat seems to be constructed similar to a Boston Whaler...in other words...two fiberglass sections, upper and lower, held together by expanding foam...in one of the pics, there is a hatch opening...try and take a good pic of the interior of that and see if the void below is filled with foam...
If it is this type of construction, there are certain ways you need to go about separating the upper half [aka the "cap"] from the lower half [aka the "hull"]...
If the rub rail is what is actually holding the two halves together, then you have a regular type of construction, which is a bit easier to separate from each other...
The other thing is, in your photobucket account, when you click on a picture to view it...along the right hand side, there are several codes to choose from...
Left click on the box that has "IMG" next to it, and it will briefly turn Yellow and say, "Copied"...
Then return here to your post and paste that code...
At first it will look like a bunch of letters and numbers...
Below and to the right of your post, there is a box that says "Preview Post"...click it and you can see the image...
When you do that, your pics will look like this...

Best of luck and looking forward to how your better than new boat is gonna turn out...
Have Fun1
GT1M:D