Possibly taking on a 93 kenner 21' cc. What's your opinion on the project and price?

Well this is my first post to the site and I have to say I am very impressed and intrigued in all the projects that I have seen on this forum. I've been looking at purchasing a center console boat that will be mainly be used for freshwater fishing with my son. My plan was to save up some money and possibly take out a small loan to get a boat but then this project boat popped up. From my research on this forum and my self taught fiberglass skills that was mainly automotive, I believe this may just be the perfect option for me. I will be going to check out the boat this afternoon and was wondering if I could get some ideas on what others thought and more specifically what I should be looking for and asking about this boat.

From what I know it is a 1993 kenner with a 1993 yamaha 200 outboard. For an unknown reason the seller decided to start to redo the deck of this boat. He said he was able to get the engine running and seemed to run well but would probably need a tune up. He didn't seem like he was an expert on boats in general, but then again, neither am I. I just figured for the rite price and some hard work, this is the boat for me. All of the steering, leaning post, etc is there.

Obviously I am going to try to haggle him a bit and he said he really just needs to get rid of the project. So hopefully that helps with dropping the price. Asking price on the boat, motor, trailer and a couple rolls of fiberglass and some resin is $1,800.00. Is this too good to be true? Am I wasting my time? Or is this quite possibly what I've been waiting for?

Thanks again for the awesome site and information.

IMG_2400.jpgIMG_4161.jpgIMG_7164.jpgIMG_7265.jpgIMG_8055.jpg

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Possibly taking on a 93 kenner 21' cc. What's your opinion on the project and pri

Can't tell from the pics, has he replaced the deck already? If yes, stringers too? Check the transom by lowering the engine and standing on the cavitation plate, bounce on it a few times and watch for any flexing of the transom. If it moves at all, you should consider it needing replacement. The boat is 20 years old and if not stored and maintained properly, it may be ready for a full stringer, deck, transom, and floatation replacement. Check the engine compression, and gearcase oil. Milky oil or metal other than tiny flecks are not good. If it runs but has not been used for a year or more, the carbs probably need disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt. I would not consider it too good to be true at his price unless it was really clean and with complete maintenance records. He started to replace the deck for a reason, it's too much work to do for fun.

Re: Possibly taking on a 93 kenner 21' cc. What's your opinion on the project and pri

This is all i know from him. " I got the motor running and pulled all carpet off then started to replace the floor but been too busy with work. I say it would need a full tune up though and new flooring. It was running about two months ago before i disconnected fuel lines and wiring. I'm no expert, just wanted a good fishing boat but realize i just don't have time to finish this project."

I am a mechanic and have a universal compression tester, but is there a way to get an actual compression reading without cranking the engine?

I'm more than willing to redo the boat if it is worth it, just don't have the experience and eye for the specifics like the pros on here do. And not exactly sure what I should offer him. Without being able to run the motor I feel like the price should drop, but don't want to be disrespectful either.

Like I said I'll be going up there later today to ask more specific questions if I can come up with them.
thanks again for the help

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

If the compression is good on the motor that's a pretty darn good deal.

I wouldn't consider it anything more than a project boat that needs new stringers, deck, and transom.

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class

You should be able to connect a battery and jump the soleniod to spin it. I don't know how to check compresion without turning the engine over. I'm not saying the seller is dishonest, but BUYER BEWARE. If the boat is every thing he says it is, make an offer, 20 - 25%below his price, it's a starting point, if he says no, negotiate from there. Don't worry about insulting him, the asking price is usually what he's hoping to get and should expect negotiation.

Very good points. After viewing this site I also imagined it would be a complete overhaul of the deck, stringers etc. I'm somewhat of a perfectionist so they would most likely be done just to satisfy my sickness. Should I be looking for 100+psi or do these engines differ from an automotive engine?

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Assume the boat will need:

New floor
New stringers under floor
New transom
Engine rebuilt
Paint the hull
New rubber trailer
New bunks trailer

The good news is the motor is a nice one, and that's the $$ on this boat if it runs. The value of that Yami is gonna be what you're buying IMO. The hull has very little value. I would go and see what you can find out about the engine, if it turns over that's good, if it starts, even better. If you have compression you might be getting a great deal. I wouldn't be pay over $1000 if I couldn't see the motor run. The resin would be of no value, don't use it unless it's fresh, it goes bad after a while. the glass maybe could be used again. Check for rot in the transom, drill several test holes inside and low, not all the way through, check the shavings for color, you want nice clean wood shavings not wet dark mulch. If it was store uncovered, my guess is you will need all of the items on my list above. I really like that motor, check the price on a new one and you will see what I mean.

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would guess 120 ish, or above, all within 10% of each other. Check with the Yamaha outboard repair forum guys for sure.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

A warm compression check is much more accurate than a cold one.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

If the motor checks out you could always hang it on another boat,..................

Well the boat was a complete bust. the hull was a complete scrap and I found out that the boat had been sitting for aprox 3-5 years. Had a bad feeling about the entire thing. Thanks again for all the help though, and I guess I'll just keep on looking.