Poly Resin & Cold Temps?

StevenT

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have 4 buckets of poly resin stored in my garage. Will temps below freezing hurt it?

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
Re: Poly Resin & Cold Temps?

Steven...You live very close to me!

Got basement? Store it there for the time being......Freezing the poly is proly not good for it...should say on the label... min storing temps and shelf life.

Good luck on your project!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Neither poly or epoxy resin, nor their catalysts take freezing well.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I found this with a quick google search... it's your friend!

Section 5. Handling and Storage

The storage of polyester resins is subject to the requirements of the Highly Flammable Liquids and Liquified Petroleum Gases Regulations, which include:

i) Polyester resin storage must either be in the open air and covered with polythene and preferably away from direct sunlight, or in a store which is a fire resisting structure, or in a store in a "safe position" (not defined but may mean isolated). Provision must be made for any spillage to be contained. Stores or storage areas must be boldly marked "Highly Inflammable".

ii) The quantity of polyester resin kept in working areas must not exceed 50 litres (approx. 60 kilos) and must be kept in closed vessels in a fire resisting leak proof cupboard or bin.

iii) Conveyance from stores to working areas should preferably be through a totally enclosed pipework system. Closed vessels designed to avoid spilling or leakage may be used where this is impractical.

Polyester resin will polymerise and gel if not stored correctly. Resin should preferably be stored at temperatures not higher than 20?C (68?F) when the shelf life of most grades will be six months minimum. Very low storage temperatures result in long shelf life but a large increase in resin viscosity, and for many applications cold resin must be brought to workshop temperatures before use. Water must be excluded from all storage containers as this causes slow curing, and will also cause rust to form in steel drums and tanks. Rust is also a cause of premature gelation.

I found it here:
SafetyData

Polyester resin should be stored like gasoline and not in your home/basement/garage.

StevenT

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm going to turn on my torpedo heater for tonight. That should keep it from freezing. Any ideas on some huge ziploc bags to seal the fumes from the unopened 5 gallon buckets or any other solutions would be appreciated. I'm thinking of storing them in my basement.

electric603

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a 5 gal bucket of resin out in my unheathed garage in the feb and mar. It was below freezing most of that time. I called US Composites because I was worried too and they said just let it warm up before use and it will be fine. I used the whole bucket this summer with no problems.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Maybe place them in sturdy garbage bags and tie or tape the top .

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

In my shop I have a Paint cabinet that has all my paint, resin, etc... I have a 200 watt light bulb wired inside the cabinet set on a timer. It comes on @ 10:00 PM and goes off @ 8:00 am. I've never had any problems with freezing and it gets into the Teens sometimes here in Okie land. My shop has 6" of insulation but is only heated when I'm in it, which is usually only on the weekends and some nights.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I had a 5 gal bucket of resin out in my unheathed garage in the feb and mar. It was below freezing most of that time. I called US Composites because I was worried too and they said just let it warm up before use and it will be fine. I used the whole bucket this summer with no problems.

Same here. No problems whatsoever with the resin. I warmed it up in the house; if the cans are sealed, it does not spew out fumes, any more than paint thinner or other flammable liquids. I'm not sure I'd store them in my house all winter, but I wouldn't worry about bringing them in for day to warm up.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Don't worry too much on the cold end of things.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I should add, if these are plastic pails they will continue to smell no matter what you do. No amount of wrapping in plastic bags and such will block the styrene from escaping right through it. Metal pails work well though, with very little styrene escaping.

StevenT

Petty Officer 1st Class

I should add, if these are plastic pails they will continue to smell no matter what you do. No amount of wrapping in plastic bags and such will block the styrene from escaping right through it. Metal pails work well though, with very little styrene escaping.

Thanks Ondarvr. My primary goal was to keep the fumes down.

Fcdave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have left epoxy resin & hardener out in my work shed for 3 yrs, wintering over here in the northeast.....and used it with no problems....it does gel up and get crystals when it's freezing....but when I used it in the summer it's viscosity was back to normal. Guess shelf life is unlimited. Not sure of shelf life on poly resin, but I think it's reacts similar as for letting it get cold or freeze.