Martin 75 tank dents

Sgaskill

Cadet
Just bought a 1953 Martin 75 "Twist Shift this weekend and am psyched to get into it. Although this will be the one of the last things I do on it, I had a question about the gas tank dents. There are 3 smallish ones that I can't get behind to pound out. What is the best way to get them out or fill them. Do I use auto body fill? Thanks,
Scott

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Martin 75 tank dents

hard to say without more info... pix???
soft dents can sometimes be removed with suction cups, heat guns, dry ice, etc

I take it the gas tank HAS to be visible? You can't hide it with a panel of some sort? .... wait a minute... just figured out that you aren't talking about a boat but rather an outboard motor...... Yes body filler after proper surface prep

one COULD fill the gas tank with inert gas and use a stud gun and slide hammer to get most of each dent out but there is a slight risk of tearing a hole.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

hard to say without more info... pix???
soft dents can sometimes be removed with suction cups, heat guns, dry ice, etc

I take it the gas tank HAS to be visible? You can't hide it with a panel of some sort? .... wait a minute... just figured out that you aren't talking about a boat but rather an outboard motor...... Yes body filler after proper surface prep

one COULD fill the gas tank with inert gas and use a stud gun and slide hammer to get most of each dent out but there is a slight risk of tearing a hole.

I have used WATER as the "Inert gas" and a stud gun however, you really should post a picture or two. Personally I would either leave the dents (they add personality) or just use a quality filler over the top and re-paint.

Whatever paint you use should be clear-coated to protect the finish from gas spills.

I will move this to where we do most of the painting stuff (Restoration section)

Sgaskill

Cadet

thanks much guys. Don;t know if I can do the stud gun but can do the auto fill option. Thanks again.

jbcurt00

Staff member

This Martin 75:
$T2eC16d,%21%29sE9swm,vp8BRg%29DYRlbg%7E%7E60_57.JPG

Unless you're going for a factory accurate resto, I agree w/ Bob: A few minor dents give it a bit of character.

Pix of yours would help, but for sure I'd love to see pix when your done.

Good luck!

BTW: Where's the Martin going to end up? On a transom seeing some fresh water, hopefully....

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class

I sometimes use bondo spot glazing putty on small dents. No mixing, less odor, seems to stick better to primed areas than bare metal. Can be built up but not for big dents.

Sgaskill

Cadet

Thanks much guys. I might be able to pull the dents out a bit first then maybe use some bondo. As far as where the motor will go...out there on the water. I plan to use it at least a few time a year. Waiting in my parts from Russ Larson.