Under Construction: Bateau.com TW28 Stretched

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnottyBuoyz

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Not adding any chopped strand mat to the mix. Just wood flour and cabosil. The fillets aren't really that thick and there'll be plenty of glass going over top, At the chines at least 4 layers of 9 oz tape + 1 X 33 oz Triax + 1 X 12 oz Biax + 1 X 10 oz Satin Weave. The designer didn't specify anything more than what I'm using. Considering I've already dropped it on it's side during the flip and nothing broke I think it'll be plenty strong 'nuff! :D

Yeah plenty of room to move around in there now but I know it'll get tight as structure gets added. The wife's putting me on a diet this winter so I should be back to my old 'svelt' self in the spring! :lol:

Thanks for looking in.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, that's the nice thing about working with epoxy and wood boats...You can use just about anything you want for a filler to thicken the mix!!! The old timers used a wide array of things..Wheat Flour, Flax, cellulose, just about anything they could get their hands on. I'd say with the layers of glass you're proposing you'll pretty much have a battle ship when you're done!!!:D

KnottyBuoyz

Still puttering away at the fillets etc. Got some wood flour from a different supplier this time. Not quite what I expected but workable.

spacer.gif
IMG_0352.jpg

Web log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/10/all- ... equal.html

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Hmm, usually darker I agree. Wonder what wood they use? See if they let you know. Kindfa looks like wood flour without the wood. Also seems to compress in your hand nicely, so it can't be just flour right?
I'm sure it's fine. But cool to find out what the source of wood is. You'll just have to get use to the new color.

KnottyBuoyz

That's it. I'm done for the season. I'll be back in the spring when I get proper materials to work with. It was a good year.

The biggest milestone this year was the flipping of the hull. Given our short building season up here I've got about a year and a half's work into the boat so far.

M/V She:Kon: That's a wrap 2014

Mikeopsycho

Thanks for the interesting thread Rick. Looking forward to reading about your progress in the future!

Cheers, Mike

saginawbayboater

Nice job for 2014! Have a Great winter and we look forward to the she-kon in the spring! Thanks for sharing!!! Good Stuff!! :peace:

KnottyBuoyz

My buddy Peter was in need of some 'Sandtherapy' yesterday so he showed up, sander & sandpaper in hand to work on my boat. He's had a bit of a rough time this summer & fall so he considers any chance to hang out in the boat shed 'Therapy'. Who am I to stand in his way of pursuing 'good mental health' eh? :laugh:

spacer.gif
GOPR0015-9.jpg

He jumped right in and started at it. The temp outside was a balmy -5C and inside the shed the same. Ideal conditions for sanding as Peter says. Me, I like it a lil' bit warmer but after some consternation I suited up and we went at it for an hour or so before a 'breakfast' break of MRD's. (Meals Ready to Drink).

spacer.gif
GOPR0018-2.jpg

Working on a video, "Bull Sh*t from the Boat Shed" to be online sometime today.

Web log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/11/chil ... anity.html

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Rick, glad to see the project progressing. dont have too much of the MRD's or you may find someone sanded thru the hull

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I'm sure you will hear alot about ppe gear..etc, etc .ya know. But Those Bubbles do wash away a lot of life's' tenacity.! I hope you at least dusted off the caps. Winter only slows us down, doesn't stop us.

EXCLUSIONS:
WE DO NOT IN ANY WAY FASHION OR SUBSCRIBE OR BELIEVE THIS IS THE PROPER WAY TO DO WORK LIKE THIS AND ALWAYS BELIEVE THAT THE THE BEST WAY IS THE RIGHT WAY AS HAS BEEN PRESCRIBED AND NOTED ON AT LEAST 10000 OTHER RESPONSES THIS MONTH. YOUR SAFETY IS OUR CONCERN. SAID AND DONE.

WISH i COULD HAVE MADE the FONT SMALLER.

KnottyBuoyz

*Yawn*

Rip Van Winkle is awake!

What a lousy start to the spring. Snow, rain, hail, sleet and more rain. The ground under the boat is soaked. It'll be awhile before it dries out enough to be able to walk on it.

I did manage to get into the shed this morning to fix an air leak in one of my air lines & make myself a new filleting tool.

IMG_0465.jpg

There's a few more pics & details our blog which I just updated:

http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/04/yawn-is-it-time-to-wake-up-yet.html

Now I gotta have a look around here and see what everybody else (who doesn't sleep the winter away) has been up to!

Cheers!

bigdirty

Welcome back from hibernation good sir! :lol: I've just gotten back to my own uh.. never ending project... in the last month or so.. but not due to hibernation so much, its just that the snow all melted and I cant ride my sled anymore :p

Mikeopsycho

Hey KB, good to see you back. Filleting tool?????? So that's where that cue ball ended up..........:lol:

KnottyBuoyz

I came down with a major case of 'LazyAssedNess' which has kept me out of the boat shed for awhile. :sleeping:

Anyhow, back at it yesterday and today getting stuff cleaned up & ready for more filleting & taping. We'll give the ole' cueball tool a test to see if it might actually work.

Couldn't find sh*t on my workbench so it was first up for cleaning & organizing!

spacer.gif
IMG_0462.jpg

Web log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/05/ther ... xcuse.html

Thanks for checking back in. Cheers!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
glad to see youre back in action on the project

KnottyBuoyz

Filleted the joint between the hull sides and the bulwarks. One layer of tape over that, wet on wet. I don't think this joint needs more than one layer. It'll get a couple more when the decks go on plus it's a lapped joint that was securely glued.

spacer.gif
IMG_0472.jpg

Having to ease myself into this. Didn't take long for the carpal tunnel to start acting up again and I was only rolling out epoxy on the tape. Sheez. Wearing a back brace this year that appears to be working really well so far. Getting old suks!

Tomorrow I have a little work to do on the stem with the sander then I'll tape it up real good and tape in the thruster tube.

Standby..

KnottyBuoyz

I forced myself to haul my lazy *** out to the shed this morning. I have been puttering around in there. Little sanding here. Little taping there etc. Today's plan was to tape the stem. First chance to use the 'constant radius fillet tool' I made a few weeks ago.

spacer.gif
IMG_0476.jpg

I have to say it worked really well. ;)

Web log updated with a few more pics etc. http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/05/major-case-of-lazy-ass.html

Status
Not open for further replies.