Under Construction: Bateau.com TW28 Stretched

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I agree with Bigdirty you want to grind baby grind except I like the resin backed disks Wood recommends, I think they last a little longer. I used 24 and 36 grit! I tried my belt sander on something, it's almost like a planer on wood but it didn't work well at all on FG.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Here is a pic of the resin backed disks that ^^^Rickmerril was talking about. I used these on my hull and they work pretty good, and don't clog up.

This is a 24 grit.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I was thinking something more along the line of a diamong grinding wheel for the 4.5" grinder. I used a carbide cutting wheel myself, then went to 24 grit. As indicated, the resin is clogging the paper, then leading to the failure.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup, the resin coated discs with the back up pad work good. Get and OLD Tennis shoe and Grind on it to Clean the discs when then Clog. The rubber will clean em right up. Works amazingly well!!!
sneaker-776017.jpg

Last edited:

Rickmerrill

Ha! Those look just like my glassing shoes! I switched to white after I found out my black soled street shoes made a royal mess all over the boat especially after I stepped in something tacky. I wonder how many cleanings you get before you start walking funny?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'm gunna update the latter post. This is what I recommend if you're gunna do a LOT of grinding. All of the above PLUS a Full face Respirator to protect your eyes and lungs. A full cover Tyvek suit to keep all the dust off, A good thick pair of leather work gloves, and Good Ole' Baby powder to coat yourself with prior to suiting up. This will REALLY help keep the itch off. Those miniscule fiberglass particles have a way of getting on you no matter what you do to protect yourself. Especially on your neck, face and arms. The Talcum Powder will really help!!!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What Woodonglass said, with the exception of the gloves. I would recommend a pair of latex or nitrile gloves to keep the dust off, with a pair of these over the top to protect the digits, because s**t happens.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Those ^^^^ are GREAT Gloves!!! Where do you get them and how much do they Cost???

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I sure wish I could talk you into wearing a better mask and goggles!!! That dust is some NASTY stuff and those paper masks don't do a very good job of filtering it out. Your eyes will suffer from the miniscule glass particles too! I know this from experience. Not raggin on ya just trying to be informative. :)

KnottyBuoyz

Thanks for the reminder woodonglass. I have a half face mask filter and shield. The biggest problem I have is my glasses fogging up to the point where I can't see anything. I usually keep a fan blowing from behind me to move the dust away. It seems to have worked well so far. There's an exhaust fan in the shed and a big pedestal fan moving air out of the shed all the time I'm sanding.

KnottyBuoyz

Sanding inside the hull is done. Vacuumed out. Tomorrow I'll build myself a work bench for 'Inside' the boat and start filling the kerfs etc. Let's hope the weather cooperates awhile longer. Was about 40 F this morning when I went out to the shed in my short sleeve shirt & shorts. :laugh:

spacer.gif
kerfs1.jpg

KnottyBuoyz

Kerfs filled. Started fillets along the side/bottom joint. Almost out of materials so have to wait for more to arrive.

spacer.gif
IMG_0342.jpg

Learned a lesson. Don't step in wet epoxy then walk in the house and across the kitchen floor! :embarassed:

Did a walk around tour on video. You'll find that on the blog update; http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/09/do-n ... epoxy.html

My buddy Andrew's coming by tomorrow morning so we should get the shed roof fixed finally.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Kerfs filled. Started fillets along the side/bottom joint. Almost out of materials so have to wait for more to arrive.
spacer.gif
IMG_0342.jpg

Learned a lesson. Don't step in wet epoxy then walk in the house and across the kitchen floor! :embarassed:
Did a walk around tour on video. You'll find that on the blog update; http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/09/do-n ... epoxy.html
My buddy Andrew's coming by tomorrow morning so we should get the shed roof fixed finally.

Hi Bat,
What did you use as a filler for the fillets? Looks like sawdust? I'm guessing?

KnottyBuoyz

I can't seem to find the button to reply to a particular post.

What did you use as a filler for the fillets? Looks like sawdust? I'm guessing?

The epoxy glue for the fillets is just wood flour with a little bit of pecan flour that was left in the bucket and some cabosil. The pecan flour makes it look really dark. Wish I had more it is much nicer to work with than plain wood flour. Other than that there's nothing special about it at all.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yup...That's what I thought, thank you. I had a mind poof about the word "wood flour".

KnottyBuoyz

Right out of supplies now. I managed to get about 25' of fillet done with the dregs of the wood flour bucket this morning.
icon_lol.gif

spacer.gif
IMG_0344.jpg

Got a few days to wait for funds to hit my credit card before I can order more tape. Wood flour & cabosil are on their way so I'll still have time to get some more fillets done. Holy Crap there's a lot of them that need to be done!!!

How much effort is involved? Web log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/09/how- ... olved.html

Standby.....

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well one good thing at this point to look at.....You have alot of space to move with no restrictions. That's a+! For the moment anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.