Under Construction: Bateau.com TW28 Stretched

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnottyBuoyz

Senior Chief Petty Officer
More rolling frames today. Hotter 'n Hell in the shed. I keep waiting for this Polar Vortex thing to happen. :faint2:

spacer.gif
IMG_0225.jpg

Web Log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/08/roll ... inued.html

KnottyBuoyz

Gettin' there, slowly but surely. The frames are almost done. I need some more 2X6's for the longitudinal braces. Will pick those up tomorrow. Will also have to take a quick trip to Princess Auto for some of the rigging I'll need to pull this thing over. Decided to go way over capacity of a few things just to be sure.

spacer.gif
GOPR0012-5.jpg

Started to disassemble some of the strongback that we put together 3 yrs & 1 week ago! :D

spacer.gif
GOPR0016-3.jpg

More pics on the web log: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/08/inch ... loser.html

KnottyBuoyz

Installed the longitudinal beams (if that's what you can call them). These will take the pull when I start to turn the hull. I increased them to 2X6's, screwed & bolted to the turning frames.

spacer.gif
IMG_0233.jpg

Three sides of the lifting frame will get pulled on during the flip so I'll rig all three the same.

spacer.gif
IMG_0240.jpg

The more I get into this the more I realize I know nothing about what I'm doing! :embarassed: Should have paid more attention in those engineering classes in college. :facepalm:

Web log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/08/shou ... ntion.html

KnottyBuoyz

Increased the capacity of some of the lifting rig. Pulley blocks are 8 Ton and the cable winch is 2 ton. I'll use the cable winch if the electric one proves it's not up to the task (worried about it not being able to hold the weight).

spacer.gif
080EC372-6175-4D27-858C-2D0246146FEA.jpg

37 C or 99F in the boat shed at noon. No work in there today.

The list of stuff on my 'End of Boat Project' yard sale is getting longer! :D

KnottyBuoyz

Was doing some more Friggin' with the Riggin' again today. The 8 ton pulley blocks I got aren't exactly ideal for this situation so there'll be some more 'Backyard Eyeball Engineering' going on!

spacer.gif
IMG_0243.jpg

I think the correct Engineering term for the picture above is 'Cluster F*ck!'. Yup, that's right. Nailed that one right on the head!

Got more ponderin' to do on how to fix that mess.

Web log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/08/frig ... again.html

Standby.....

KnottyBuoyz

This morning I finished Friggin' with my Riggin'! I bought a 1' section of 5/16" chain to hang the pulley block from. Worked perfectly. Replaced the hook with two 5/16" Quick Links and it now has freedom of movement needed.

spacer.gif
IMG_0251.jpg

Also finished up the last beam on the turning frames.

spacer.gif
IMG_0254.jpg

So that's it. Turning frame & rigging is DONE! Next step is the dissembly of the strongback & forms so I can lower the hull & turning frames to the floor.

More pics etc. on the web log. http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/08/done ... iggin.html

KnottyBuoyz

So I got friends out there on the Interwebs. Friends who know stuff I don't. Thank the Heavenly Boat Maker! :D

Last iteration (I hope).

IMG_0263.jpg

What I failed to recognize is that the cable end hook and the pulley block will rotate upwards and outwards away from the pole as the hull rotates. The cable hook will go almost (if not over) 90 degs outwards and the pulley block will move outwards about 45 degs.

KnottyBuoyz

Spent most of the day ripping out the remainder of the strongback frame. There was carnage everywhere! :D

spacer.gif
IMG_0291.jpg

I was just cuttin' and sawin' and hammerin' and unscrewin' and tossin' the stuff out from under the boat!

spacer.gif
IMG_0295.jpg

The hull is now resting comfortably in her rolling frames on the ground!

spacer.gif
IMG_0294.jpg

Web log updated with more details and a video walk around of the boat I did this morning. http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/09/carn ... -shed.html

Cheers!!!

KnottyBuoyz

That's it. It's rigged to roll over. Trying to put together a crew for Saturday. Other than some housekeeping there's not much else I can do now. It's going over come hell or high water!

Ground anchors are in & straps attached. I couldn't get the one on the right down any further, hit rock.

spacer.gif
IMG_0304.jpg

Couldn't resist the urge and lifted the hull with the winch. It worked perfectly. No moans or groans or cracking. The Gin Pole was rock solid and never flexed at all.

spacer.gif
IMG_0307.jpg

Suspended on the winch. I left it there for 5 mins with no problem.

spacer.gif
IMG_0306.jpg

Web log updated; http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/09/its- ... -over.html

KnottyBuoyz

This morning was just some housekeeping tasks. Tomorrow I likely won't get anything done, taking the kid to the airport for his next big adventure in Alberta!

Through the wormhole!
spacer.gif
IMG_0310.jpg

Battery for winch getting charged!
spacer.gif
IMG_0312.jpg

Screwed these 2X6's to the bench. If the frame wants to come down on it they'll redirect it to the floor.
spacer.gif
IMG_0309.jpg

Last look. I'll remove the shed doors before the flip so we'll get a better view as it goes over.
spacer.gif
IMG_0313.jpg

I'm scared shitless! :eek:

bigdirty

WOW!! :thumb: I'm excited for ya man! Although, i find the things like this that scare me the most, are usually the most gratifying and worthwhile things after they are done.. :lol: may the boat god smile on you and the flip, Good luck!

KnottyBuoyz

We've got some bad weather headed this way for tomorrow morning so I'm going to postpone the flip. I would need people outside the shed to handle tag lines etc. and I can't really ask them to do it standing in the rain. Will try again for next weekend. Sorry.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If you were closer, I would help you in the rain. especially for a celebratory spirit after.

KnottyBuoyz

Hull flipping day! A little more than 2 hrs and it'll be going over. Guts are in a knot. Shouldn't have had nacho's with jalapenos last night.:facepalm:

GoPro's charged up & ready to go. Sipping my last coffee & waiting for the team to arrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.