Under Construction: Bateau.com TW28 Stretched

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnottyBuoyz

Senior Chief Petty Officer
What's wrong with those props? :facepalm:

Looks like you have a matched set of junk there. I guess they could be repaired and rebalanced.

I hope you understand I was joking about the 4 x 4 truck and picnic table post. It is just you don't associate boating and picnic tables together. :noidea:

That's a set for a Volvo Penta duo prop outdrive. Less than a week old. Got them repaired and they worked fine till I sold the boat. During the spring flood the St. Lawrence gets all kindsa crap floating downstream. I've seen whole trees, docks, boats, you name it. That was the first time I saw a picnic table though!

Yeah I caught the fact the truck thing was a joke! :lol:

KnottyBuoyz

Added a few gussets from scrap sitting around. Can't hurt and cost virtually nothing.

10D10F53-1320-4294-B95E-9A70EFC446A1.jpg

Web log updated: https://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2016/09/mor ... -skeg.html

sprintst

Commander
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Standard Soviet issue. That thing is not coming apart. I'm the same way. Now to get those props made out of half inch steel :)

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
get that engine in, then get the deck closed up so you can work thru the winter on the bolt-in things

make sure you have access directly above the motor to pick it thru a hatch for when things go sideways and the motor must come out for service.

KnottyBuoyz

get that engine in, then get the deck closed up so you can work thru the winter on the bolt-in things
Yes dear! :laugh:

make sure you have access directly above the motor to pick it thru a hatch for when things go sideways and the motor must come out for service.

Oh that'll never happen! :cool: We're gonna open up the aft bulkhead and make it like a 'picnic style' boat. The local boat yard has an boom on a fork truck that would be able to reach right in and lift it out. My buddy did that when he had his Perkins rebuilt for his Mainship 34 Mk1. If we hadn't decided to do this I probably would have left a 'soft spot' in the cabin roof that could be easily cut out if needed. My brain just sort of thinks that way all the time.

Good idea though!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I have pics of my buddies blow boat when the perkins came out for the yanmar to go in. there was -3mm of clearance between the hatch and the motor, and it took 4 people to lift the motor and drag it in the bilge to get close enough to the hatch to be picked up by the squirt-boom crane. when the motor was wedged in the companion way hatch, we threw our weight into it to get it thru.

the good thing was the yanmar was smaller and lighter

the picnic style aft will be great for not only service, however getting onto the dinghy. now all you need is a hydraulic swim platform to raise and lower the dingy as well.....

Pusher

Lieutenant
Nice progress! I'll look forward to next year's developments.
I'm sure you'll long for land after a couple years on your yatch, so you're probably not losing anything by taking your time and enjoying yourself along the way. I'm learning the meaning behind doing it right the first time.

KnottyBuoyz

Weather break there yet? Hoping your continuing on with this project as I have enjoyed following it

So technically it's 'Spring' here. Supposed to hit 10C or for you south of the fence that's 50F.
icon_lol.gif
Lots of rain in the forecast.

Finished my latest assignment with the Gubment on Friday. Glad that's over. Time to turn my attention to the boat. First up will likely be finishing the rudder so I can get that and the drive train installed. The engine still has to be serviced. I dunno but nobody seems to want to return my calls. Fack! Is my money not good 'nuff for them?

Anyhow. I did pick up two Igloo 150 qt coolers for $77 Cdn Pesos each! Score! I'm thinking these could go under benches in the cockpit or main salon for cold & dry storage or whatever use they're required for. Just too good a deal to let slide by.

EC609F12-DCE5-4224-8CC8-8AB3CD633BBF.jpg

Still sore as hell. First MRI was a flop. I didn't fit in the machine. Too wide in the shoulders and they wanted me to put my arms above my head and with two blown out rotator cuffs that wasn't going to happen. They were going to image my lower spine so why they couldn't stick me in feet first I have no idea. Off to a bigger machine next Saturday. I do have a fear of being trapped in small spaces so a sedative is likely in order! :eek:

That's all the news. Standby....

Pusher

Lieutenant
My wofe hates those things. She says the hannibal lecter mask is the worst, but the. i remind her that it's a lot better than living "Natural" not knowing what's going on. Make sure to go to a meal with healthy servings afterward. If you get sick from the contrast try asking them to take a couple minutes and go slow. It helps the admiral.

KnottyBuoyz

I'm back. Well sorta. Still having issues with my back and leg that keeps me out of the boat shed most days. Updated our web log with a few details on what's been happening.

http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2017/04/a-minute-or-two.html

Bought a bunch of other doo dads the last month or so, just thru-hulls, drains, bilge pumps etc. Hopefully I'll get to install them this year.

Standby....

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Make an A-frame on wheels, pick it up from the aft of the boat, then walk it forwaryou can use a few 3/4" (19mm) shafts with a few dolly wheels.

It will also come in handy to drop in the trans, and other heavy objects, like the fuel tank, etc

Regarding the motor. Spring for a dyno pull, and then have it prepped for long storage. That way it will be perfect when you finally fire it up in the water

Hope you get the back issue resolved

KnottyBuoyz

Make an A-frame on wheels, pick it up from the aft of the boat, then walk it forwaryou can use a few 3/4" (19mm) shafts with a few dolly wheels.

It will also come in handy to drop in the trans, and other heavy objects, like the fuel tank, etc

Regarding the motor. Spring for a dyno pull, and then have it prepped for long storage. That way it will be perfect when you finally fire it up in the water

Hope you get the back issue resolved

Thanks Scott. I'll inquire about the dyno, see if they have the equipment there. It will be prepped for storage.Wish I had room for a rolling A-Frame. Sadly there just isn't enough space. The static i-Beam overhead will be Ok. Engine & transmission go in in one piece. Only really heavy items after that are the 4 x 4D batteries. They'll likely go in much later though a deck hatch.

Back at the boat project (again) Well sorta. Still nowhere near 100%. Have an appt with the neurosurgeon on the 21 st. to see if there's anything that can be done. I did manage to get out into the boat shed today. Mostly puttering and cleaning up the mess. If I pace myself (snail's pace) I can keep going for awhile. Tomorrow I'm going to try to get my 6" x 6" i-Beam up 10' in the air. 8O This will be the gantry crane that'll lift the engine into the boat on chain falls.

Standby for the calamity that will undoubtedly ensue!

Carry on!

Status
Not open for further replies.