Not open for further replies.

KnottyBuoyz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ya mean this stuff?

AAB000AA-78DC-42A8-BCB4-C0EF1903A14E_1.jpg

Yeah, I got some of that laying around! :laugh:

KnottyBuoyz

Good News! Rudder finally being fabricated!

2241F616-B25D-4C5C-B2F7-319B225C571D.jpg

News, Weather & Sports @ 11! Stay Tuned! :eek:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
BTW, I would have them make 2 rudders while they are at it. everyone I know that have rudders have hit something and bent them (and props and struts)

KnottyBuoyz

BTW, I would have them make 2 rudders while they are at it. everyone I know that have rudders have hit something and bent them (and props and struts)

I actually have a spare already. Came with the kit. Just not as well suited.

IMG_1843.jpg

If there where a way to put the bolt together flanges on it without destroying it I would have used it. Once the new rudder is done I might work on that.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
what is not shown in this picture is the two bent prop shafts (or second bent rudder)

this was damage done by a rock in water that was a bit low

as they say.....ship happens

bent-props.png

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Well ya , but basically you could take metal down keel to rudder then back to keel protecting from groundings , take one step further and put a shroud around prop off of that metal to hull encasing prop giving more thrust and prote tion at same time

KnottyBuoyz

this was damage done by a rock in water that was a bit low

There's only two kinds of boaters in the world. Those that have run aground and the liars! :)

The only prop damage I've incurred has been hitting junk floating just below the surface. Last time it was a picnic table!

Thought about all the stuff I could do to protect the prop & rudder. Seen it all done before. The last ship I worked on had it's props in quort nozzles. We'll be highly overpowered on our boat and maximizing thrust isn't an issue. A little prop slippage in our case would be a good thing. I have Spurs for lines going into the prop but nothing else protecting them but the skeg. I'll see how it goes the first few years on the water. We'll be cruising the canals up here so we'll have a good chance to totally fack things up! I can always add something later.

Thanks fella's.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I was always told you don't have to be a great welder, only a great grinder. Project looks good to me.

Are you sure you were piloting a boat when you hit a picnic table? Sounds more like a 4x4 raised truck. :facepalm:

KnottyBuoyz

I was always told you don't have to be a great welder, only a great grinder. Project looks good to me.

Are you sure you were piloting a boat when you hit a picnic table? Sounds more like a 4x4 raised truck. :facepalm:

Definitely the boat and definitely a picnic table! :eek:

IMG_0676.jpg

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I have a set of props just like that from a sunken sail boat......

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Definitely the boat and definitely a picnic table! :eek:

IMG_0676.jpg

What's wrong with those props? :facepalm:

Looks like you have a matched set of junk there. I guess they could be repaired and rebalanced.

I hope you understand I was joking about the 4 x 4 truck and picnic table post. It is just you don't associate boating and picnic tables together. :noidea:

Status
Not open for further replies.