Under Construction: Bateau.com TW28 Stretched

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnottyBuoyz

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I was just yankin' your chains fellas! :laugh: That was a yard sale mixer the wifey got me for $1. I've burnt up about 3 of them so far mixing glue! Ya see, the ole' woman and I have a deal, she don't touch my power tools and I don't mess with her kitchen gadgets! So far that one simple lil' rule has resulted in 15 yrs of harmony in our household! ;)

So rayray, doesn;t look like I'll get much more than a couple weeks in the boat shed. Looks like I'll be going back to work for the Coast Guard for 8 weeks or so. Probably starting before the end of this month. The extra coinage will be nice, still have a few pricey items to buy for the boat. Windows, fridge, air conditioner, prop shaft, rudder etc. I might even squeeze a Honda eu2000i in there as well. We'll see how good I can be at squeezing the knickle (Canadian) and making the beaver ****! as they say.

It was a lil' chilly this morning. 5C which is just about 40 F. Lil' too cold for epoxy work. Started dickering with other stuff and got totally side tracked looking for tools. Couldn't find them so said the hell with this and had a snooze! :sleeping:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Knotty, great work Sir!! I amazed by your hard work and the scale of this project!!

KnottyBuoyz

Knotty, great work Sir!! I amazed by your hard work and the scale of this project!!

Thanks Corjen1. More work than I bargained for but I'll get through it, one little bite at a time. Soon be time to tuck it all away for the long winter sleep! :-(

littlerayray

Lieutenant
What will you be doing with the coast guard if you don't mind me asking farmers almanac says we are either in for a wet winter or a snowy winter

KnottyBuoyz

What will you be doing with the coast guard if you don't mind me asking farmers almanac says we are either in for a wet winter or a snowy winter

My background is in Marine Engineering Logistics, cataloguing & identifying ship spare parts. I worked with numerous computerized inventory systems for years. Last winter I cleaned up a huge pile of data from a couple of old systems for upload into the new standard system they're rolling out. This winter I'll likely work on documentation for the process.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Rick, while winter comes, doesn't mean you can't get some of the mechanical bits taken care of. Verifying motor placement, making the wood parts to epoxy in the spring

KnottyBuoyz

Rick, while winter comes, doesn't mean you can't get some of the mechanical bits taken care of. Verifying motor placement, making the wood parts to epoxy in the spring

Oh yeah. I have a few of those little projects lined up. I'd like to get the skeg welded up and the rudder fabricated. Need a little machine work done on a delrin bearing for the rudder shaft. Stern bearing carrier has to be mated to the shaft log, again that's machine shop stuff. Likely try to take a stab at designing the helm in cardboard. I've got all new guages etc. and will have to adapt the old wiring harness to fit. I'll keep myself busy somehow.

KnottyBuoyz

I don't blame ya and parking is a pain in the butt

Actually I can jump back in the old car pool. They park right in the building. I commuted to downtown for almost 20 yrs.

Are you going to be down Iroquois way before the snow flies? I'll give you a 50 cent tour of the boat shed anytime you like.

KnottyBuoyz

Been down for the count for almost 3 days. Inner ear infection. Right side deaf as a post. Tinnitus and pain. On antibiotics now. Shouldn't take too long to clear that up. Managed to haul my butt out to the shed today before the winds kick up. Didn't really feel like crawling around the bottom of the boat finishing the bedding & fillets for the stringers so I decided to lay out a layer of glass on the two aft bulkheads.

spacer.gif
IMG_0883.jpg

These are just offcuts laying around and I had planned to use them for just this purpose. The two aft bulkheads being solid won't hurt from being totally enclosed in glass.

spacer.gif
IMG_0885.jpg

Plenty of neat epoxy rolled on and soaked up by these panels.

spacer.gif
IMG_0888.jpg

Gooped & peel plied. They look a little dry. Dunno why. I dumped extra epoxy on there and squeegeed them well. Gotta keep my eye on them. I did lift the peel ply and the glass underneath is thoroughly soaked through. Could just be that cheap peel ply. I'll be glad when it's gone.

Tomorrow I'll flip those panels over and do the other side.

Standby.....

KnottyBuoyz

LittleRayRay stopped by the Big Blue Boat Building Shed today. I think he was suitably impressed! Nice to have you visit Ray. Come again when it's warmer. I'll introduce you to my 8" Sander of Doom! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.