Under Construction: Bateau.com TW28 Stretched

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnottyBuoyz

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Had to take a few days off to rest the hands. They're still a bit sore but pushing through it. The Rum doesn't seem to be helping anymore! :blue:

Spent a few hours on the sanders this morning feather fabric egdes etc. to get the box keel ready for the next layer of glass.

spacer.gif
IMG_0743.jpg

Much lighter material but just has hard to work with. The slightest touch and it wrinkles. No way to get it into shape until you're wetting it out and letting the squeegee get it to where you want it to go. That'll happen tomorrow.

spacer.gif
IMG_0745.jpg

Standby...

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Just saw this thread a few days ago. It is amazing how much time and material you have put into this build. Great job!!

KnottyBuoyz

Just saw this thread a few days ago. It is amazing how much time and material you have put into this build. Great job!!

It's turned out to be a helluva lot more work than I thought. I'm doing it alone so it's a lot slower (just like me). Thanks for looking in.

Cheers

Rick

KnottyBuoyz

looks like this layer is going faster than the last.

Much lighter material. Really wets out nicely. Just a lot of tuggin' and pushin' and pullin' to get it where you want it. Also there's no mat on the back of this stuff either.

Mark72233

Ensign
Knotty, I agree with DR, the boat is looking awesome and you have earned a little R&R. When you say "Plinkin" what are you referring to. When we say Plinkin we are talking about going out to the range and wasting a bunch of ammunition.

KnottyBuoyz

Knotty, I agree with DR, the boat is looking awesome and you have earned a little R&R. When you say "Plinkin" what are you referring to. When we say Plinkin we are talking about going out to the range and wasting a bunch of ammunition.

Ayup that's it! My buddy, Dead Eye Dan, bought himself a Ruger 357 Magnum and is dying to get it to the range! :) He's in a wheel chair so someone always has to go with him. Me? I just plink away with my .22 S&W at some paper targets. We'll both go through about $50 in ammo. He'll send 20 rounds downrange and I'll send 500! :)

Mark72233

Ensign
.357, I love it. That's what we started with but now all everyone carries are the .40 cals, I miss my old wheel gun sometimes. I hear ya on the ammo $$, we are spoiled because taxpayers buy our ammo and we have our own range 500 yards behind our main station. Have fun, be safe.

KnottyBuoyz

.357, I love it. That's what we started with but now all everyone carries are the .40 cals, I miss my old wheel gun sometimes. I hear ya on the ammo $$, we are spoiled because taxpayers buy our ammo and we have our own range 500 yards behind our main station. Have fun, be safe.

Here's Dan with his new toy. Not like the movies though, the wheel eventually runs out of bullets! :)

https://youtu.be/iSyCAw0-wlw

KnottyBuoyz

Hope you guys had fun now get out to the shed :whip:

Yes dear! :laugh:

Broke out the 8" High Speed Spinning Wheel of Death & Destruction. I couldn't find any aggressive grit discs and had to settle for an 80 grit. It worked fine.

IMG_0754.jpg

I whipped across the bottom panel in about 45 mins. It's a bit of a beast to control with carpal tunnel in both hands. On the flat bottom panel I could lean on it a bit. On the vertical sides it wasn't so easy. I got the upper half of them done with the 8" and I'll finish them off this afternoon with the 6" RO.

More pics & nonsense on the blog updated: M/V She:Kon: Lunchtime update HSSWDD

Thanks for lookin' in! 'specially you RayRay! :D

Cheers!

KnottyBuoyz

Ready for goop tomorrow!

spacer.gif
IMG_0759.jpg

spacer.gif
IMG_0760.jpg

That lil' piece is about 30' long and 4' wide. I'm guestimating 1-3/4 gallons of epoxy & 3-1/2 hours.

Standby...

KnottyBuoyz

Hotter 'n hell here today. We had tornado warnings last night but most of the nasty stuff skirted by us to the north & south. Dodged a bullet methinks. I got out in the shed this morning with intentions of laying out the fabric for the stbd side fore to aft and glue it tomorrow. That didn't happen. I got the fabric hung up and it started 'screaming' at me to goop it! :) So I obliged.

spacer.gif
IMG_0769.jpg

Just a bit over an hours labour and a gallon of epoxy. Done. A wee problem with the edge sticking up in places from yesterday but the ball peen hammer (thumb adjuster) fixed that up. Just have to check that the bubbles have stuck down. It's almost 100 F in the shed right now, not a wisp of a breeze either. Fans going full blast make it somewhat tolerable.

Couple more pics on the web log update: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/09/star ... lwark.html

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.