87 bayliner refurb/restoration project... "The Big Dirty"

bigdirty

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 87 bayliner refurb/restoration project... "The Big Dirty"

actually, Im planing to do something similar in the bayliner cabin to what i did in my old formula too.. i'm gona use actual hardwood this time though (as opposed to teak) had to rebuild the floor in that formula, and i had a bunch of teak strips left from stripping a boat, the one I got the seats from.

Attachments

• cabin floor.jpg
    cabin floor.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 2
  • cabin floor2.jpg
    cabin floor2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 2

bigdirty

I guess metal and wood working is more of my forte than upholstery, (hoping to change that..) but another thing I'd like to do is get rid of the half rotten glass swim platform on the bayliner, and replace with something like this.. Extended the original platform by about 10" and i made up the brackets out of 1/2" aluminum from the scrap bin at work.

Attachments

• platform.jpg
    platform.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 2
  • platform 2.jpg
    platform 2.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 2
  • platform3.jpg
    platform3.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 2
  • platform4.jpg
    platform4.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 2
  • platorm5.jpg
    platorm5.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 2

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Hey alright man. Thanks for the welcome! Those formula seats look really good. I would like to be able to try and accomplish something similiar. It seems to me like you have it all planned out pretty good. I look forward to following. Thanks again man!

GWPSR

Those so-called "scrap bin" brackets look like aircraft quality fabbing. Nice! And the platform looks great all cleaned up.

bigdirty

Those so-called "scrap bin" brackets look like aircraft quality fabbing....

Thanks :) ya, they were some off cuts from a big fixture project we did.. the cnc cut curve was already there, i just put the right angles and such where I needed.. there are a few more laying around still, i may have to do a 'version 2' if i can find a good deal on a new/nicer/better platform for the big dirty...

Ya, I did a TON of work on that formula, kind a sore spot in a way cause I lost a friend as well as a decent boat.. Sold it on the trailer, with a fresh motor, for a smokin deal to a friend.. then he stiffed me for money (on another job), and THEN sold the formula (IE: flipped) for almost twice what he paid for it. Barely a month after. Not to mention part of this 'good deal' was I would have access and use for the rest of the season.. which didn't happen as he pulled it out WAY early.

:mad:

BLAH!! Anyway, water under the boat now.. I gots a big 'new' boat/project, and this one will be better. :)

zool

Captain

A guy delivered mine on a slick hydraulic trailer too, made dropping it on blocks real simple...man I wish I had one of those lol

Tboner7864

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey BigDirty Mind if I join in the fun I got a big bayliner too! alway good to see another come to life

bigdirty

Hey Tboner, no prob, welcome aboard, there lots a room on this ol girl :)

I'm finally gearing up to start doing actual 'work' on her this weekend.. had some issues recently with my car, and been busy helping some friends a bit last week/weekend.. we had a big wind storm (40-50 mph gusts :eek:), a friend/coworkers roof got ripped off his shed, and another buddy of mine is in a wheelchair and needed some things moved around at his place, so I have accomplished exactly nothing on the boat.. but I have discovered my tarp structure seams to be holding up well, so thats a good thing..

Gona spend the next few nights building some mezzanine type shelves in my shop to store all the interior cushions/parts and pieces, so I actually have some space to work on things :lol: I have a slightly odd situation i guess you could say, as I also use my shop as somewhat of a a living room.. ya, a wood stove, couch/recliner chair, coffee table usually littered with empties, small fridge, computer and stereo on the work bench.. perfect! I technically "live" in my basement appt that I built, and rent the rest of the house to a girl and her two kids. Its a small kitchenette room, with enough space for my tv and a small couch, and another 'room' at the other end, just fits my bed and a dresser.. its basically two rooms and a small washroom in the middle with a stand up shower. (A friend actually said to me "It reminds me of a boat bathroom dude.." heh.. well, ya.. i use the space I have :rolleyes:) So i have to plan my space usage well, or i simply cant get anything done.

BUT; It looks good for this coming weekend, all my ducks seam to be holding in a row, and I'm getting excited to tear into the big dirty project. :)

bigdirty

Just a little before and after of how I have spent the last two nights of my life... man, i have to much stuff :laugh:
Its getting there though, a workable space has opened up to start building boat seats/stuff...

Attachments

• work area2.jpg
    work area2.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1
  • work area 1.jpg
    work area 1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1
  • before 1.jpg
    before 1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1
  • before 2.jpg
    before 2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 1
  • shelves 2.jpg
    shelves 2.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 1

bigdirty

The 'living room' area still needs a bit of work.. and a shelf :)

Attachments

• drinking area.jpg
    drinking area.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 0

zool

Captain

I see alot of good in there.....the pre amp/reciever looks adequate, you got Jimi in full form, the horshoe on the post works (have one myself), flat monitor, probably a bong skillfully hidden, ample tool chest.......:D

jbcurt00

Staff member

I see alot of good in there.....the pre amp/reciever looks adequate, you got Jimi in full form, the horshoe on the post works (have one myself), flat monitor, probably a bong skillfully hidden, ample tool chest.......:D

All I've got to say is 3 words:
Frig?

Sink?

Toilet?

W/out the 1st, the last 2 are less necessary. When you go IN to get a refill, you can pause long enough to make more room. Ya know, while your IN anyway. No need to wait & make a 2nd trip, unless it's for another refill of your favorite boat building frosty libation..

But w/ the last 2 & the 1st, no reason to go INSIDE the house but to hose off & sleep :watermelon:

And w/ all 3 plus the couch & a conveniently hung hose, you might skip going IN the house all together.....

I hear in-frig keg-a-rators are going to be experiencing brisk sales again this holiday season..........

Nice work on getting the cleanup started.....

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

I think you guys are missing one other very important thing though...
Maybe it's just me, but I was just a kid and couldn't have one, so if I had my very own man cave such as this one I would search the world over for my very own personal Bo Derek poster from the movie "Tarzan the Apeman" and stick it right to the door! At least I think that was her anyway. Like I said, I was still pretty young but I can't seem to shake the memory of that poster still shot of her in the waterfall. But then again, why would I want too?:joyous:

Last edited:

bigdirty

All I've got to say is 3 words:
Frig?

Sink?

Toilet?

W/out the 1st, the last 2 are less necessary. When you go IN to get a refill, you can pause long enough to make more room. Ya know, while your IN anyway. No need to wait & make a 2nd trip, unless it's for another refill of your favorite boat building frosty libation..

But w/ the last 2 & the 1st, no reason to go INSIDE the house but to hose off & sleep

And w/ all 3 plus the couch & a conveniently hung hose, you might skip going IN the house all together.....

I hear in-frig keg-a-rators are going to be experiencing brisk sales again this holiday season..........

Nice work on getting the cleanup started.....

Ah yes, but that small box below the stereo speaker... (its an old yamaha amp/receiver running two klipsch bins.. real freakin loud most of the time :rockon:) IS in fact a fridge! Had a microwave out here for a while too, but put it in my house/kitchenette when i moved down there, as i left the one on the upstairs for my renter. lol to "n-frig keg-a-rators" thats a good one...

And running water in the shop would be nice, but as for 'making room' for the next beverage, I have a door out the back of the shop to my 'hot tub room/wood shed' which has another door, to the backyard. Which is maybe not so good for the ladies, but works fine for the men. :laugh: so ya, I go in the house to shower/sleep, and occasionally kick back and watch a movie.. although I've been considering bringing my 42" flat screen out to the shop..

The pic of jimmy is something i did back in high school..but its sort of become a 'thing' in my shop.. if Im confused or dont know wtf is going on with whatever im working on, I just look over and say "What would jimmy say?" or "Excuse me, while I kick this thing!" :smash: The horseshoe was here when I bought the place... i never even took it down.. It was an old guy that im sure was a lot like me.. (passed away years ago) worked on bikes/cars, anything mechanical, ive heard from ppl he was 'the fix anything guy' in the neighborhood.. I figure if it was good for him, i should leave it be. And uh.. bong? *ahem* um, what bong? I defiantly don't have even 3 of those in here..:rolleyes:

Just figures though, I finally get ready to press the go button on the boat... My car craped out yesterday. Well, not the whole thing, only REVERSE gear... :facepalm: its been popping out for about 6 months, thought i could get it through the winter... no dice. So today, and $400 later, i have a used tranny on my floor and I gota shove all the boat stuff aside for another week.

Welcome to my life...

*edit*

Ya, to top it all off, my hot tub just $#!t the bed... heater cracked, leaked all over control box, top side buttons are not working right anymore and there is water dripping out of the pump MOTOR. yup.. guess the universe wasn't quite done with me today... :mad:

Last edited:

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry to hear it man.

banshee owner

Petty Officer 1st Class

a fellow ontarian here in the midst of my own restore and think ill tag along i love seeing locals of sorts doing a restore lol

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I like to see guys take on the huge projects, because the time and financial commitment can be as big as the project!
You got really lucky on the stringers and transom not being rotten seeing as the boat sat outside for 4 years and filled with water! Lucky indeed.

Last edited:

bigdirty

Ya well, as the saying goes, "$4it happens, usually in piles" :laugh: Welcome aboard guys :) Bummed about my hot tub, but i think i can sort it out. The car, well.. the trany is gona be "fun" (Frickin Unreal Nightmare!) but oh well, do what you gota do right? I did manage to get a light hung in the boat shed today, tape up a few tarp rips/flaps and got the trim cyl pin tapped out so i could lower the drive. It was all the way up, and I was concerned there might be some water in there (rain) and I really dont wana deal with the possible consequences of THAT in the spring..

banshee owner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dirty what are you going to use to heat the boat when it gets really cold here.

Thank fully my buddies garage has a now working wood stove. he just replaced the stove pipes. Only problem i see with it is no real good way to regulate temps. Ahhh well at least there shall be heat lol

bigdirty

Well for the times when i will be out there, i have a portable diesel heater that I fire up.. same kind the guys use in construction to put some heat in houses as they are building them. It works pretty good, and this year my tarp shanty shed is actually sealed up better than last, so I'll see how it goes..

Hoping to get this tranny job finished tomorrow (oh my god... this is the WORST automotive repair i've had to do in a long time!) and actually get somewhere in the boat this weekend..