87 bayliner refurb/restoration project... "The Big Dirty"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 87 bayliner refurb/restoration project... "The Big Dirty"

And then there was the beginning... of a boat shed! Years ago I started building cheep tarp/wood/whatever sheds of all sorts to work in, or store cars/ect.. I feel I have honed my skills over the years, yet the phrase coined by a friend of mine some years ago "Shanty shed" still gets stuck on anything of this sort I build.. I shall name it "Shanty shed v 3.0" as its constructed of wood that has now been used to build THREE separate boat shelters over the past few years.. I'm re-using the roof section from last year (you can see it sitting on my shop roof) and I think its something like 16 feet high once its in place.. had a friend look at it last winter, he says "Holy ship.. you have a cathedral ceiling in your boat shed!" Maybe its overkill.. oh well..
    Attached Files
    If I had all the money I've ever spent on boats over the years, I would spend it all on boats. Yup, because I'm stupid like that..

Comment

ok, so 'life' and other things (vehicles, sickness, money, ya know..) have got in the way a little bit, and winter is coming in like a freight train so I've been busy trying to get things 'tied up' and ready for the next 4-6 months.. BUT I have finally managed to get this old tub covered and sealed up, and hoping to get down to business this week on a few boat related things (finally!) A friend pulled into my driveway the other day and said "Holy ship dude.. looks like you are trying to hide a 747 in your driveway! and not doing a very good job.." (it was windy, and a few ropes let go, blew the tarp up like an air ship or something..)

Dono if u can tell in the pics, but I think I used about 300 feet of nylon rope.. and i dont care, cause i will NOT have mother nature and her snow crush my redneck tarp/shanty this year!!
      Attached Files
      If I had all the money I've ever spent on boats over the years, I would spend it all on boats. Yup, because I'm stupid like that..

Comment

Hey bigdirty. Holy crap. That's a teeny little boat! I was hoping I could hang out with you while you squeeze your way into it and do some work. I could sure use some knowledge on upholstry and it looks like you'll be doing some. If you don't mind giving up a secret either, how in the world did you get it off of the trailer and onto those blocks? Thanks man and good work gettin her all sealed up!

Comment

Originally posted by maryhannaj View Post
          Hey bigdirty. Holy crap. That's a teeny little boat! I was hoping I could hang out with you while you squeeze your way into it and do some work. I could sure use some knowledge on upholstry and it looks like you'll be doing some. If you don't mind giving up a secret either, how in the world did you get it off of the trailer and onto those blocks? Thanks man and good work gettin her all sealed up!
          Welcome aboard good sir, plenty of room on this little boat

Ya, it was a project in itself building and covering this thing! As for upholstery work, yes.. i have quite a bit to do, and I don't claim to be a pro, but ive done a good bit on my two previous boats, so I can share what knowledge i have and i'm really gona try to take more pics this time around.. ill try to find a few of my old formula as sort of a 'starting point' of what i have done, and how.

And as for blocking it...wwweeeell, I dont own a trailer (nor a truck that would budge this girl lol) so i hire a local guy, he has a really slick hydraulic trailer. Its basically a 'fork' style with nothing in between the wheels. Both sides are independently adjustable up and down and also tilts front to back on the goose neck hitch. (has its own honda gas motor built in to run the hydraulics.) He simply backs under, lifts the boat on pads that are all adjustable, straps it and drives away, then the opposite to drop on bocks. He tells me he has had a 50+ foot boat on it, no problem.. my bayliner actually looked quite teeny on it!
          Last edited by bigdirty; November 6th, 2013, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Heres a few pics I found of my formula.. the two front seats i 'found' and cleaned up, and the rear bench I built from scratch (with the exception of the lower seat cushions, came from same boat as front seats) cause when i got the boat it had a 2x6 across the back. Seriously, that was it..

Click image for larger version

Name:	front seat.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	187947Click image for larger version

Name:	rear seat.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	187948

the original seating and dash were gawd awefull yellow, so I re did the dash too, added a teak ipad holder as well..

Click image for larger version

Name:	dash1.jpg
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	187949Click image for larger version

Name:	dash2.jpg
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	187950

Comment

actually, Im planing to do something similar in the bayliner cabin to what i did in my old formula too.. i'm gona use actual hardwood this time though (as opposed to teak) had to rebuild the floor in that formula, and i had a bunch of teak strips left from stripping a boat, the one I got the seats from.
              Attached Files

Comment

I guess metal and wood working is more of my forte than upholstery, (hoping to change that..) but another thing I'd like to do is get rid of the half rotten glass swim platform on the bayliner, and replace with something like this.. Extended the original platform by about 10" and i made up the brackets out of 1/2" aluminum from the scrap bin at work.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hey alright man. Thanks for the welcome! Those formula seats look really good. I would like to be able to try and accomplish something similiar. It seems to me like you have it all planned out pretty good. I look forward to following. Thanks again man!

Comment

Those so-called "scrap bin" brackets look like aircraft quality fabbing. Nice! And the platform looks great all cleaned up.
                    Restoration in progress: 1981 Bayliner Victoria 2750
                    Tow vehicle: 2004 Ford F150 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by GWPSR View Post
                      Those so-called "scrap bin" brackets look like aircraft quality fabbing....
                      Thanks ya, they were some off cuts from a big fixture project we did.. the cnc cut curve was already there, i just put the right angles and such where I needed.. there are a few more laying around still, i may have to do a 'version 2' if i can find a good deal on a new/nicer/better platform for the big dirty...

Ya, I did a TON of work on that formula, kind a sore spot in a way cause I lost a friend as well as a decent boat.. Sold it on the trailer, with a fresh motor, for a smokin deal to a friend.. then he stiffed me for money (on another job), and THEN sold the formula (IE: flipped) for almost twice what he paid for it. Barely a month after. Not to mention part of this 'good deal' was I would have access and use for the rest of the season.. which didn't happen as he pulled it out WAY early.

BLAH!! Anyway, water under the boat now.. I gots a big 'new' boat/project, and this one will be better.

Comment

A guy delivered mine on a slick hydraulic trailer too, made dropping it on blocks real simple...man I wish I had one of those lol
                        "We all come from the sea. But we are not all of the sea. Those of us who are, we children of the tides, must return to it again and again."

Current Boats
                        10' tin gamefisher/Johnson 7.5hp ob
                        1991 Sea Ray 170br/AlphaMerc
                        1996 Century 1800 CC/Yamaha c85
                        1988 Imperial 280SF (under the knife)
                        1972 Checkmate mx-15

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...cs-598307.html

Comment

Hey BigDirty Mind if I join in the fun I got a big bayliner too! alway good to see another come to life
                          Its better to be silent and be thought a fool then to speak and remove all doubt
                          Restoration in progress:http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...ck-598246.html

Comment

Hey Tboner, no prob, welcome aboard, there lots a room on this ol girl

I'm finally gearing up to start doing actual 'work' on her this weekend.. had some issues recently with my car, and been busy helping some friends a bit last week/weekend.. we had a big wind storm (40-50 mph gusts ), a friend/coworkers roof got ripped off his shed, and another buddy of mine is in a wheelchair and needed some things moved around at his place, so I have accomplished exactly nothing on the boat.. but I have discovered my tarp structure seams to be holding up well, so thats a good thing..

Gona spend the next few nights building some mezzanine type shelves in my shop to store all the interior cushions/parts and pieces, so I actually have some space to work on things I have a slightly odd situation i guess you could say, as I also use my shop as somewhat of a a living room.. ya, a wood stove, couch/recliner chair, coffee table usually littered with empties, small fridge, computer and stereo on the work bench.. perfect! I technically "live" in my basement appt that I built, and rent the rest of the house to a girl and her two kids. Its a small kitchenette room, with enough space for my tv and a small couch, and another 'room' at the other end, just fits my bed and a dresser.. its basically two rooms and a small washroom in the middle with a stand up shower. (A friend actually said to me "It reminds me of a boat bathroom dude.." heh.. well, ya.. i use the space I have ) So i have to plan my space usage well, or i simply cant get anything done.

BUT; It looks good for this coming weekend, all my ducks seam to be holding in a row, and I'm getting excited to tear into the big dirty project.

Comment

Just a little before and after of how I have spent the last two nights of my life... man, i have to much stuff
                              Its getting there though, a workable space has opened up to start building boat seats/stuff...
                              Attached Files

Comment

The 'living room' area still needs a bit of work.. and a shelf
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X