Please Help! I need advice on Stringers, Foam & Fiberglass!

Status
Not open for further replies.

austin182

Recruit
Hello, I recently acquired a Delco 16ft Cougar. I apologize before anyone reads this, but I will do my best to describe my problem in detail since I am completely new to the boating world. The boat was my late grandfathers and was fairly well taken care of, or so I thought. The boat was last taken on the water in August 2013, and has not been used since. I have had this boat for a week, and have been performing basic maintenance here and there on the boat. For the past few days I have had the boat outside kept the boat under a tarp. Today I pulled the tarp out to check on everything. So far I have performed minor fiberglass repair with cloth and resin to a few spots which used to hold tie offs and rails. Today I wanted to check under the floor board for the integrity and strength of the plywood. I knew I would probably need to replace the plywood under the marine carpet. I removed the plywood and found a small hole in the fiberglass underneath. Upon further inspection, I found standing water underneath the fiberglass surrounding the foam rectangles and stringers which were underneath and completely soaked. The water was not draining at first. I then checked the rear of the boat to make sure the drain plug was off and stuck a screw driver inside the hole and that's when water started to drain. Several gallons of water drained from the rear, I even elevated the boat as high as I could to make sure all of the water was out. From what I can tell, the fiberglass on top has a few soft spots, but most of it is solid. However, the foam rectangles and the stringers are still soaked underneath. The stringers from the parts I can see and feel appear rotten and very soft. I am lost as to what to do now. I want to get this boat back in working order. What should I do next? Should I remove the fiberglass under the plywood floor and replace the stringers? If so, how would I go about doing this? What about the foam rectangles? Would they be fine just sitting outside and drying out, then placing them back in as long as they aren't mildewed? Or do I even need them? I have read several things on here, and I am not sure what exactly to do in my situation. The hull of the boat and transom is solid. Like I said, the boat was just out In the back bay of Galveston in August and ran just fine. I just want to get this fixed as best as I can the right way the first time. I would greatly appreciate any information anyone can provide me. Again I apologize for being a complete novice. I have searched the internet for the past few days and have turned up nothing. I did not know where else to turn to until I found this forum. Thanks everyone for your patience. Please help...... Austin :confused:

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 0

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Please Help! I need advice on Stringers, Foam & Fiberglass!

Welcome to iBoats . . .

You have come to the right place, as there are many threads from folks in a similar situation. So do some searching and you will see what others have done to fix their boats.

You should do a bit more inspection, drill some test holes in the stringers, etc., but it sounds like you will want/need to replace the bulkheads and stringers . . . and possibly the transom. If you can post some pictures of the structure and the issues that you found, that would help others visualize what you are seeing.

Essentially, you will be cutting out the old structure, fabricating a new structure and fiberglassing it into the boat. Then lay the floor over it and fill the chambers below with 2-part expanding foam. Most of the stuff that you will need can be purchased online at places like: Fiberglass , Epoxy , Composites, Carbon Fiber - U.S. Composites, Inc.

The boat will be better than new and last for 30+ more years :thumb:

Last edited:

austin182

Recruit

I attached a few pictures I took this morning of the floor. The center stringer is rotten. The foam is wet and some looks to be mildewed. How hard is it to cut away the fiberglass and replace the stringers? Transom from inside boat.jpgrear transom.jpgPlywood under fiberglass.jpgPlywood floor with marine carpet.jpgPlywood floor covering with marine carpet.jpgTransom from inside boat.jpgrear transom.jpgPlywood under fiberglass.jpgPlywood floor with marine carpet.jpgPlywood floor covering with marine carpet.jpg

austin182

Recruit

More pictures

Attachments

• Overview of floor.jpg
    Overview of floor.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Main stringer 2 (1).jpg
    Main stringer 2 (1).jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Foam Blocks .jpg
    Foam Blocks .jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Foam blocks under plywood.jpg
    Foam blocks under plywood.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 0
  • looking towards front 2.jpg
    looking towards front 2.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 0

austin182

Recruit

Pictures of the front fiberglass work I did to fix the holes from the rusted out railing. I just need to sand the fiberglass down and apply white primer and paint

Attachments

• Front fiberglass repairs.jpg
    Front fiberglass repairs.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 0

austin182

Recruit

More pictures looking at the front

Attachments

• looking towards front 2.jpg
    looking towards front 2.jpg
  • Looking towards front.jpg
    Looking towards front.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I attached a few pictures I took this morning of the floor. The center stringer is rotten. The foam is wet and some looks to be mildewed. How hard is it to cut away the fiberglass and replace the stringers?

You'll need to remove all of the decking, all of the foam, and all of the stringers and throw that junk away.

How hard is it?

We have old men, women, and teenagers doing restorations on this forum. It is dirty work getting everything rotten removed and the hull sanded/ground down, but the putting back together isn't that bad... it's the fun part.

If you're a video gamer you may not make it through the tear out and grinding (we've seen a couple of those fails), but if you don't mind working to have something nice it'll be a labor of love.

The best thing for you to do is to start reading all the fiberglass restorations you can find, this will educate you and you'll know what to do and how to do it before you start.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Austin, you can be a complete novice and still be able to restore your boat... I know, because I restored my first boat less than a year after I bought it. It would probably help if you're somewhat handy and familiar with hand tools and small power tools.

You will be amazed at the depth of knowledge and the helpfulness you'll find here, including a couple of the folks who have already responded. I'll be watching and rooting for you, and I'll pipe up if I think I can help, too.

Best!

Jim

Johark53

Cadet
No Title

If you finding Stringer rot most likely it all has to be replaced I did mine all high-tech I used a 4 x 8 2"inches thick sheet of foam compatible with polyester resin and I used a biAxel eglass 18 ounce very strong material on end

Attachments

• photo239611.jpg
    photo239611.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 0
  • photo239613.jpg
    photo239613.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo239621.jpg
    photo239621.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo239622.jpg
    photo239622.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo239623.jpg
    photo239623.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 0

Johark53

Cadet
If you have any questions on anything you let me know I'll help you to the best of my ability and good luck

Johark53

Cadet
1 most important thing before removing any floor stringers make sure you have your boat on jack stands 1 in each Corner on the transom and a block up on the bow keel this will allow the weight of the bottom to hang naturally if you're doing it on your trailer the weight of the boat will push the bottom up especially if you have an inboard like mine this will also help keep the boat square and level if you don't do that when you put your new stringers the bottom of your boat will not perform very important

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Johark, its been 2.5yrs, I dont think austin is proceeding w this project.

If you want to discuss your project or post your project, please start a topic about it.

Thanks

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.