Replacing Transom On 1985 Alumacraft classic help

69_GS_400

Recruit
Hi guys,
I joined the forum in hopes that I could get some insight on how to replace the rotted transom wood on my 1985alumacraft classic. Its a single console boat with a merc 35. I did do some reading on other forums but it seems as if there is mixed opinions on what types of materials to use when replacing the wood. I plan on doing this as a winter project in the next month or so. Any tips on what type of wood/thickness, sealant, rivets, and assembly and disassembly would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: Replacing Transom On 1985 Alumacraft classic help

Most here on this forum have been using 3/4" non-pressure treated exterior plywood. Cut and glue 2 pcs to original size.
Many a post here on this subject, time to start reading and looking at the pictures. It's great fun.

Welcome to iboats.

eboat85

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is a great source for help and mental support. Snap some pictures and ask questions! Welcome from a fellow 85 owner.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Is that a Classic 16? If so I have a 1988 Classic 16. Post up some pictures.

69_GS_400

Recruit

Guys the boat is up in storage a few hours away near our cabin. I plan on bring it back soon to start the project. I was trying to get a game plan together as far as materials and process. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

eboat85

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't get too far into buying materials until you get into it. I already have a few extra parts because I thought I knew what I would find before digging in.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Hi guys,
I joined the forum in hopes that I could get some insight on how to replace the rotted transom wood on my 1985alumacraft classic. Its a single console boat with a merc 35. I did do some reading on other forums but it seems as if there is mixed opinions on what types of materials to use when replacing the wood. I plan on doing this as a winter project in the next month or so. Any tips on what type of wood/thickness, sealant, rivets, and assembly and disassembly would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

It would be best to start your own thread when you bring the boat back to where you're going to work on it. That way all of your info will be in one place and you won't have to search other peoples threads for the info on your project.

Take lots of pics and post them here for us to see what you have to work with, they also come in handy when you put the boat back together.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

It would be best to start your own thread when you bring the boat back to where you're going to work on it. That way all of your info will be in one place and you won't have to search other peoples threads for the info on your project.

Take lots of pics and post them here for us to see what you have to work with, they also come in handy when you put the boat back together.

I believe he is the original poster jig.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats!

#1 rule is NOT to use PT plywood unless it's rated for use with aluminum. Most guys on the forum just use ext. Grade Plywood. Without pics it's very difficult to advise on how to demo the boat for re-install. 3M 4200 and 5200 sealants along with products such as JB Weld, Gluvit, Coat-IT, etc are all standards here on the forum.

WelcomeAboard3.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Dammit man!!! My bad!:embarassed:... thought I was on different thread.