budget build- 15' bass boat into a 15' flats boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

170freedom

Petty Officer 2nd Class
IMG_2578.jpgIMG_2843.jpg3E33G93p55L75Ge5Mecbq836554f471cf1533.jpgOkay-
So I've built quite a few boats over the years, and this one has to be in my top two favorite builds (other is my 19' Rhodes sailboat into a diesel lanch boat). I see so many people asking questions about how to build a boat. I must say that this sight has so many helpful threads on it, so I decided to add another one to possibly help those that may wonder how to attain a complete successful boat.

This boat started out as a 1980's side console bass boat that was rated for a maximum 35 hp outboard. It was great for rivers and lakes, but not the best boat for me down here in Pensacola Florida. It just wasnt practical for my type of fishing, and it really wasnt a performance boat by any means.

I wanted a boat that I could use on the grass flats, marshes, rivers, and bay. I wanted something that was adaptive and would give more competition. But wait!! That gets expensive rather quickly, and looking around I quickly found myself surrounded by boats costing upwards of $9000.00 So I decided to make my bass boat into the boat I was searching for.

Last edited:

170freedom

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: budget build- 15' bass boat into a 15' flats boat

I stripped the boat down to the bare hull.IMAG0003.jpg

170freedom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IMAG0002.jpgIMAG0042.jpgIMAG0043.jpgI then wanted to rebuild the boat in a way that it will safely handle a larger outboard. So I looked up current USCG specs for the size/type of hull that I was building and applied the info to the build. I then installed a new transom, stringers, and flooring. ** The transom thickness was increased by 1/2" and the floor was increased by 1/2" as well in overall thickness.

Last edited:

170freedom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After the floor was fitted and tabbed in, it was covered with 3 layers of 1.5 oz glass matt.IMAG0044.jpg

170freedom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

At this point, I decided it was time to install my rear casting deck. I wanted a front and rear deck set up on this boatIMAG0048.jpgIMAG0049.jpg

170freedom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I then also tabbed it in and covered it with three layers of 1.5 oz mattIMAG0063.jpgIMAG0063.jpg

kfa4303

Banned

Hi 170. I'm right down the road in Tallahassee. She looks great so far. Looks like a Boston Whaler style hull. What type/hp motor are you going to put on the back? Are you going to add a leaning post behind the helm, or a seat? Can't wait to see her on the water!

170freedom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I must take a moment to say, that after I tabbed in the main floor and front deck, I installed 6lb two part closed cell foam for added floatation and structure support.

170freedom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After all the floor and decks were installed, I then focused on the side wall strength. Now I must say, that there have been long debates on the strength of rolled gunnel tops/sides. I for one have seen many rolled hulls that performed quite well (carolina skiff, sun skiff, etc) and I have seen two pc hulls that also perform quite well (aqua-sport, cody's, etc). I myself planned on using this hull to its maximum potential. So after a few pondering moments, I decided to put spars in on the side walls.IMAG0078.jpg

170freedom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The boat was going to be designed as a center console. So at this point I fitted my donor console to the hull. After a few adjustments and centering it up properly it was glassed in.IMAG0047.jpg

170freedom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I then went to getting the interior floor and decks coated with a very rugged non slip coating that would last. I have a friend who applies commercial coatings to fiberglass wind generators for a company in California. After inspecting the finish, and the durability, I let him have at it. The end result was remarkableIMAG0079.jpg

170freedom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I then pulled the boat out and rigged it up, 48 spl, Lowrance GPS/Combo Unit, Poling platform, Deck Hatches, Stereo, Etc.IMAG0227.jpgIMAG0230.jpgIMAG0287.jpg

170freedom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also forgot to mention, under the rear casting platform is a 18 gal fuel tank. I have two batteries installed under the center console. Over all Im very satisfied with the build. I am very happy with the performance of this boat which started out as a light duty side console boat. It has proven itself in 1-2' seas in the bay with a 15 knot wind. But has handled like a dream on a calm day when the bay was like glass, and as evening set in we poled our way along the mouth of the Escambia River searching for Redfish. I hope this thread will help someone who is pondering over the idea of a build. Remember, safety is a must, you may have your family and friends in the boat and you dont want to cut corners in that department, period!! I have invested a few weeks of evening work, and $650 in materials on the hull only. That cost did not include poling platform, gps, engine, etc.

Last edited:

170freedom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi kfa4303-
The boat has a 48 spl hanging on the back. As regards to the seating, I have a throwable device ($10)that I use as a seat for me while I'm underway. Once I start fishing, it can be put under a rear deck hatch and I can walk all over the casting decks with nothing in the way- simple, yet clutter free.

Last edited:

kfa4303

Banned

I love it, especially the non-skid finish. Still plenty of time to hit the water. The weather is getting a little cooler, which means it bearable to be on the water longer. Good luck on the splash.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

I gotta come aboard and give you very high praise for doing such an excellent conversion on this boat...:hail:
If you hadn't put up the pics of the actual conversion, I would have guessed it was a factory made and showroom bought boat...:D
I really like, no, make that love, the non-skid finish that your friend applied to the interior...looks absolutely amazing!:thumb:
Any chance the procedure and the materials are available for us average DIY'ers ???
Looks great sitting in its natural environment...
Thank you for taking the time to document and share with us.
Looking forward to any future updates of how well it fishes and some pics of it overflowing with your catch!:first:

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Nice conversion there! Good work. :high5:

170freedom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the encouragement guys!! All the materials were purchased locally at PBS Boat Store (Pensacola Fl), and Advanced Plastics (Lilian Alabama). So yes, everything was easy to obtain for those of us who love to get itchy, sticky, and dusty.

kfa4303

Banned

Good to know there are f'glass supplies in this neck of the woods. Even though I'm a tin boat guy at heart, I've had the itch (bad pun intended) to try a simple resto on a fiberglass skiff. Do they sell epoxy for sealing decks, etc... at PBS? It would be quicker for me to run over there and pick it up rather than order it. I do have a West Marine in town, but Good Grief they're outrageous.

love the signature btw. I haven't spent a dime at a single BP since the spill and I never will again.

Status
Not open for further replies.