Windshield help

Davbe339

Cadet
OK I’ve been surfing this site for a while and have gotten some good information. But now I need some advice. I sold my SRV240 and purchased a 1985/86 19’Thompson open bow. The prior owner installed a new deck and the windows don’t match-up. The walk through panel won.t close it’s about ?”off at the top and ?” at the bottom. So what would cause this and what is it going to take to fix it? I’ve thought about just cutting a little glass off and that would allow the window to close.But''' Will try to add some pictures tomorrow.
Thank you Dave

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Windshield help

If the window no longer closes between the 2 'fixed' panels above the consoles, the PO (previous owner) didn't put the deck & consoles back together correctly....

Post some pix of the consoles at the deck & at the windows, and the center section closing incorrectly too...

Not seeing it makes it tough to know what exactly needs to be done. That may not be the 'only' work pending.

Post some pix & we'll go from there..

Welcome to the iboats dry dock.

BTW: If the windshield IS glass, not plexi/lexan etc, it SHOULD be tempered or safety glass. Tempered can't be cut down, and safety glass isn't a straight forward score it w/ a glass cutter & snap off the piece you want to remove. There's a plastic laminate sandwiched between 2 pieces of glass.

Google cutting safety glass

&

Google cutting tempered glass

Davbe339

Cadet

OK I'm back sorry about the delay but got a little tied up yesterday. Did some investagating and took some pictures. Did I mention that the PO installed a new deck and when I say deck he used deck wood.

Attachments

• 2013-10-10 007.jpg
    2013-10-10 007.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 2013-10-10 018.jpg
    2013-10-10 018.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 1

Gator1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you planning on removing the decking at some point? If so, you should probably wait to mess with windshield. Unless it bothers you to no end. You could always remove the center section until you're ready.

On my project, the shield did not close when I bought it and I wrote it off to settling of rotten deck wood. When I pulled my cap, I found a huge blob of flotation foam that the open bow step was set in to sturdy up the step. That hunk of foam was actually what was affecting the closing of the walk through, when I put the cap back on I did not go with the original method of foam her till she's good which in turn resulted in a perfectly level console that from a distance looked anything but level. So I removed the windshield (again) and re positioned it so the window lined up as normal. Filled in the old holes with gel/cabosil and Giddy up. So a long story leads to if you're going to remove the deck, you will likely be messing with the windshield again.

So as in most cases when restoring a boat, doing something "right" is often subjective. Good luck Davbe.

Davbe339

Cadet

Jbcurt and Gator thank you for your input and yes I plan on redoing the deck and the interior ,but I knew this going in. the good good news is that I don’t have a lot invested yet and the motor and drive are in good shape. I probably won’t get too far in till Jan. will try to keep you posted. Again thanks

Gator1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good luck on the boat. Looking forward to where you go with it. Maybe a hot tub and a grill to match that deck!!
Take care