doral outboard transom replacement

dutch420

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guy need some advice or help here.. I can pick up a 15ft doral for free from a guy but it needs a few repairs.. There is a small soft spot in the floor i know how to go about fixing but after having a look at the boat i found the transom to be a different story.. The top left corner is rotted bad. So long story short it needs a new transom.. Its a shame because the boat is in great shape gel coat looks new but the stuff screwed into the transom was never sealed.. Now my question is can the transom be replaced with out spliting the boat from its top?.. Has anyone done a transom repair with out ripping the boat apart. Im super interested in it because of the shape but am hasitant because of the transom....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: doral outboard transom replacement

Post up some pics, especially of the transom area, both inside and out. In most cases, due to interference of the splashwell it's not practical to get to the transom with the cap on. It's not impossible but makes things much more difficult. You can cut the splashwell away at the gunwales but then you have to do the repairs to them when you go to put the splashwell back on. Just no easy way to do a transom. If the floor is soft, there's also a high likelihood that the stringers under the deck will need replacing as well. You don't say how old she is, but due to her condition I'd say she's in for a full restoration and this can lead to a lot of work and most of these jobs cost approx. $1 - 2K and take 100 - 200 hours to complete. If you're up to it and she's the boat you want, you could make her better than new and she'd last you for many decades to come. We'd be here all along the way to offer advice and guidance.;)

dutch420

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey guys ive had an idea after watching a few youtube vids and doin lots of research online.... I was thinking if i was gonna do a transom what about cutting the top of the boat about 2 feet away from the transom and removing that so i can acess the transom for replacement.. I watched a very interesti g youtube vid on it and figured it may be worth a try i mean im picking the boat up for free so.....

What are the materials i need though..
Transom im assuming is two peices of 3/4 ply cut on diff angles for streghth
What kind of ply is acceptable. How should i laminate the peices together.

A check list of materials and some walk throughs would be great..

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Uhhmmm, as I said in my previous post we can help you much better if you will post some pics of your project so we can See what you are working on. I also stated that removing the top cap in front of the splashwell at the gunwales was a viable method for gaining access to the transom but does require your to do some glass repair at the time of reinstallation. This link will give you some additional info on Transom fabrication...

"Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms"

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey guys ive had an idea after watching a few youtube vids and doin lots of research online.... I was thinking if i was gonna do a transom what about cutting the top of the boat about 2 feet away from the transom and removing that so i can acess the transom for replacement.. I watched a very interesti g youtube vid on it and figured it may be worth a try i mean im picking the boat up for free so.....

Hey Dutch,
I've done what you're referring to as "cutting the top of the boat about 2 feet away from the transom".... Some photos of my madness...

As Wood suggested, post some pix. Lots of extremely knowledgeable people on here will help you but they need to see what you're working on.

dutch420

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey guys sorry its been awhile since ive been on this thread.. Busy with babys room and the holidays..lol.. Ive got some pics and info on the boat im looking at rebuilding i plan on putting a 70hp chrysler on the back of it .. I want its bull low power for sking . Tubing etc.. But anyway the boat is a doral dr147 and says kw41 ... As stated it needs a transom and has one small soft spot in the floor that u almost dont notice.... The po had a 90's 60hp johnson on the back installed by the marina boat sits solid on the trailer and does not bow where any of the rollers on the trailer hit the hull.. The hull looks to be in great shape for the boats age.. Id like to fix the old girl looks like she could be a fun boat for me the wife and the little one..i would also still like to be able to use the ski tri pod the boat came with .. And help hugely aprechiated
Also any info u guys have on this boat would be a big help too.. Thanks

Last edited:

dutch420

Petty Officer 3rd Class

20131015_111446.jpg

Last edited:

dutch420

Petty Officer 3rd Class

20131015_123143.jpg

If im gonna cut the old girl could i get the lines shown to me please.. Was checking out furthers restoration thread great info in there

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey Dutch, cool little boat. From what I've learned working on my boat and reading on here, that small soft spot that you have most likely isn't limited to just a small soft spot. In most cases, what you'll be looking at is a full resto once you open her up (as I did) you'll see that the stingers will likely need to be replaced as well. I too thought that i'd just take the carpet up and fix the soft spot in the floor, but once I started removing the soft/rotted wood, I just found more and more soft and rotted wood until it was all out.

If you cut the cap, I'd probably cut it back right in front of the vent trim pieces on top of the cap.

Hopefully one of the pros will chime in and confirm the line....

Incredible amount of information and help on this forum and the guys on here are a huge resource. Couldn't touch my progress without their help. I'd spend some time reading through some of the restos and go through this link...
http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...r/how-tos-other-great-information-288451.html

It's alot of fun to do and I'm certainly addicted.
Good luck to you.
I've subscribed so I could follow along on your progress.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

The spot further offered up looks about right to me. That's how I did my 16 foot glasser too. Nice looking boat you have there, I'll ride along and watch the progress.

dutch420

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the comments boys.....Ya its not bad for free eh... Po did not wanna part it out.. Said the hull is way too nice for me to strip and part it out.. All i wanted was the ski tri pod out of it and ended up takin the whole thing...
Anyone have any ideas on what wood is exeptable for the transom and floor and hope fully not the stringers...lol. .. I know marine is the way to go but with a baby commin it may not be in the budget... So the next best thing would be great..

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah free is the best price!! Congrats on the soon to be new addition...
As far as the wood, i used marine grade for the transom; 2 sheets of 3/4" laminated with titebond III wood glue and will use arauco brand exterior ply for the stringers and sole/deck. Many on the forum recommend the arauco brand ply as it's got 7 laminations and uses exterior glues as opposed to 5 on regular exterior ply and it's bout 1/2 the cost of marine grade. But you can get away with using any exterior grade ply (not pressure treated tho) as long as it's properly sealed with resin and glass. Check out the links in WOG's sig (he commented up above in the 2nd post).

dutch420

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey guys just an update...
Have not have time to get to the boat yet.. Been busy finishing the babys room and baby proofing the house.. I plan on starting to dig into it this weekend

dutch420

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hey everyone.. been awhile since I have been on.. last time I talked I was workin on the babys room.. well he was born but has a couple congenital heart defects so I have not had a chance to get to the boat we have to go back to the hospital for his second major heart surgery..
I have done a couple small things I cut about half the floor out of the boat.. stringers seem very strong kicked the crap out of em and even hit the sides with a hammer and block of wood just to see how stong they really were.. I got no movement at all and a sore foot..lol.so im taking it as the strings are good to go... so my next step will be to remove the transom.. I had a few people tell me to cut the outer skin instead of cutting the top.. not sure if this is a good idea or not.. I also thought about trying to prop the topside up instead of cutting it ..
now I have found out there are 2 versions of that arauco ply.. which one do I need? and how thick..im assuming the transom is an inch and ahalf..
I will be hanging a 70hp Chrysler on this boat.. so it should move like a raped ape.lol..
anyway long story short I have started to get back at my project.. so everyones ideas and help is greatly apprechiated