"1956 Duratech S-13R "Project: Pop Can" SPLASHED"

Luke000

Restoration Forum Splash of the Year 2016
Boat is Finished 7/25/14- Pictures on page 6

I have been running this thread on a motorcycle building website (Do The Ton) under the "other projects" tab for a little while, so I think I should post it here and show off our little project:

START 8/31/13
I am going to start off and say, this is a joint winter project between myself and my dad. I was in northern Michigan with my dad 2 weeks ago and we found this boat for sale on the side of the road on a desolate road. We saw it and both admired the styling and construction, pulled over and called the number on the sign and a few minutes later we bought the trailer and hull from an old man for $400 on the condition that we restore it to better than new condition and bring it back by for him to see it in the spring. The boat is a 1956 Duratech "Sealine" S-13R (13 foot with a 60 inch beam), manufactured in Pleasantville, NY. The company history is available at www.duratechboats.com/‎ In short they manufactured heavy duty aluminum boats between 1950 and 1965. We transported the boat to our cottage, and left it there. The trailer tires are very dry rotted so we are going up next weekend with new tires, wheel bearings, and lights to bring it home and start work.

Our plans for the boat is a complete nut and bolt restoration including:
-The exterior hull & fixtures will be polished out
-Seal all leaks in the hull
-New windshield
-Re-wire the boat
-Paint the interior
-Make new seats
-New transom and wood
-Restore Steering Wheel
-Power it with a brand new 20HP outboard
-A few modern upgrades such as a speedometer and anchor light etc

As for the trailer:
-New tires/wheels
-Wheel Bearings
-New light Bar
-New Shocks
-New Jack
-Sandblast and repaint to match boat
-New bunks and rollers
-New winch and mast
-New lights

This is not my first boat restoration with my dad, the last one was my 1969 Larson All American 166 that I bought myself in 8th grade 6 years ago (last picture) He has done countless other boats over the years as well but this will be our oldest to date and first aluminum boat. I will post the next update next weekend when we haul it home to Detroit. In the mean time please chime in and share your thoughts, comments, questions or suggestions. It is always fun to hear from you guys!

Oh yeah the boat has been named "pop can" (My idea, there is a story behind the name, and fit the boat perfect)

And now for pictures!

On the side of the road when we bought her

Back at the cottage

MORE PICTURES AT 1956 Duratech S-13 "Project: Pop Can" (Boat) - Other Projects - DO THE TON

Last edited by a moderator:

Luke000

Re: 1956 Duratech S-13R "Project: Pop Can"

A few more pics BEFORE:

And the 1969 Larson that was our last restoration project:

Luke000

NEXT UPDATE 9/29/13

Well I got my first big day of work in today after cleaning the garage yesterday and helping my mom pull her big boat for the season this morning as well as a jet ski. The first thing I did today was work on the trailer light mounts; the old ones were a flimsy galvanized sheet metal (looked like crap: see below) so I replaced them with heavy gauge 2" angle Iron as well as lengthening them %50. The rest of the day we striped down the boat as far as we could without removing original rivets. No big surprises other than a complete lack of OE stainless steel hardware. Next step is to disassemble the trailer and send it off to get sandblasted and ready for paint. And strip all the old paint out of the interior, acid wash the aluminum and at least get a coat of primer down.

And what would an update be without some pictures to help make sense of my ramblings :

OLD Light mounts

NEW Light Mounts

The boat at the end of the day:

Luke000

Current Update 10/5/13

I stripped down the trailer as far as I could, and we hauled it off to the sand blaster. We will pick it up on thursday or friday and will immediately paint it. We decided on using POR-15. Only thing I have yet to decide is if I want to brush on the paint or spray it on (have a gun and compressor) any opinions?? We also will be rebuilding the hubs, new shocks, new jack, new saftey chains, new winch and mast with bow roller, new rollers, and new bunks.

In the mean time today I decided to use aircraft stripper and the power washer to remove the OE paint from the interior of the boat in preparation for that paint job in a few weeks. I still need to use an aluminum brightener for the deep clean of the aluminum before the primer goes down but i am going to wait until right before the painting.

And one in the garage waiting for the trailer

MORE UPDATES TO COME IN THE FOLLOWING DAYS, WEEKS, AND MONTHS

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You should consider lifting the tops off of those seats and replacing the old floatation foam (if it even has any) with newer more modern and water resistant floatation foam.

The boat should be super sharp after it's polished out.

jbcurt00

Staff member

You will probably be extremely surprised at the condition of any flotation foam that's inside those bench seats. If there is any........

It's not immediately apparent how those bench tops are attached:
IMG_0448_zpse52393b4.jpg

Are they fastened just at the ends with that L shaped bracket?

jbcurt00

Staff member

According to this brochure page, the S-13R had styrofoam flotation, and after nearly 60yrs, it could stand to be replaced, IMHO...

Duratechbb001.jpg

Also of note is that at 13' 7", it only weighs 165lbs rigged, but empty, and is rated for a 33hp OB... So a modern 30hp should be just the ticket!

Luke000

You will probably be extremely surprised at the condition of any flotation foam that's inside those bench seats. If there is any........

It's not immediately apparent how those bench tops are attached:
IMG_0448_zpse52393b4.jpg

Are they fastened just at the ends with that L shaped bracket?

The seat tops are all pop riveted on along the top brackets and along the bottom of the seat tops. Will be a PITA to remove them in good condition. I will take a look today and see how it it would go.

The L-brackets are permanently riveted to the hull (non pop rivet) and pop riveted to the seats

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

I know it's not an easy task to remove the bench top.

Once you attach an OB to the transom & gear up the boat, There doesn't appear to be many places you could add additional flotation foam, if any.

Stuff happens, boats sink. Some w/ foam sink. Generally, all the boats w/out foam sink, and sink faster. This last group also includes boats w/ water logged (past or presently) foam......

I'd prefer mine to float in the event of the unthinkable happening.

You do have to weigh carefully the 'cost' to either remove the seats or not.

Doh: Forgot: Cool boat! Thanks for saving a 50's tin can.:cool:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The seat tops are all pop riveted on along the top brackets and along the bottom of the seat tops. Will be a PITA to remove them in good condition. I will take a look today and see how it it would go.

The L-brackets are permanently riveted to the hull (non pop rivet) and pop riveted to the seats

Rivets are easy to remove and aren't permanent. Just grind or drill the head off on one side and use a center punch or nail set to drive the rivet out on the side with the other head. Do the work that needs to be done and replace rivets with new ones.

An assortment of blind rivets and a rivet setting tool (gun) is a "must have" when owning an aluminum boat.

1989 Sylvan Boat Rebuild Part 4 - YouTube

Rivets | Buy Rivets | Rivet tools - Rivet Nuts & Other Specialty Fasteners

Tools | Blind Rivet Tools | Buy Rivets | Rivet tools - Rivet Nuts & Other Specialty Fasteners

Luke000

I know it's not an easy task to remove the bench top.

Once you attach an OB to the transom & gear up the boat, There doesn't appear to be many places you could add additional flotation foam, if any.

Stuff happens, boats sink. Some w/ foam sink. Generally, all the boats w/out foam sink, and sink faster. This last group also includes boats w/ water logged (past or presently) foam......

I'd prefer mine to float in the event of the unthinkable happening.

You do have to weigh carefully the 'cost' to either remove the seats or not.

Doh: Forgot: Cool boat! Thanks for saving a 50's tin can.:cool:

Well it looks like I have my project to do after I get out of work today at 4. Is there any specific foam (and a place to buy it) that is recommended as a replacement? I will fill the 2 seats and the space forward of the bulkhead in the bow. Now that I think of it I remembered pulling pieces of something that I now realize was foam out of the bow. It was so decrepit I didn't think it was foam :eek:!

This is why I decided to post the thread here. I never would have thought about replacing the foam otherwise :facepalm:. Thank you guys!

Luke000

Rivets are easy to remove and aren't permanent. Just grind or drill the head off on one side and use a center punch or nail set to drive the rivet out on the side with the other head. Do the work that needs to be done and replace rivets with new ones.

An assortment of blind rivets and a rivet setting tool (gun) is a "must have" when owning an aluminum boat.

1989 Sylvan Boat Rebuild Part 4 - YouTube

Rivets | Buy Rivets | Rivet tools - Rivet Nuts & Other Specialty Fasteners

Tools | Blind Rivet Tools | Buy Rivets | Rivet tools - Rivet Nuts & Other Specialty Fasteners

I am very familiar with all things rivets. We have a good rivet gun and it will be getting a work out soon :)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Is there any specific foam (and a place to buy it) that is recommended as a replacement?

Lots of people on here use and like the extruded polystyrene rigid sheet foam insulation because it's relatively cheap and nearly impervious to water absorbtion:

Owens Corning FOAMULAR 150 2 in. x 48 in. x 8 ft. Scored Squared Edge Foam-45W at The Home Depot

There's also the 2 part expanding urethane foam that's found in most newer boats these days and it can be bought here for about the best price online:
Urethane Foam , Expanding Marine Polyurethane Foam

... and this is how it works:
The do's and don'ts of expanding foam - YouTube

... and this is how it floats a boat if you use enough of it:
Lund Boat Floatation Video - YouTube

Luke000

Lots of people on here use and like the extruded polystyrene rigid sheet foam insulation because it's relatively cheap and nearly impervious to water absorbtion:

Owens Corning FOAMULAR 150 2 in. x 48 in. x 8 ft. Scored Squared Edge Foam-45W at The Home Depot

There's also the 2 part expanding urethane foam that's found in most newer boats these days and it can be bought here for about the best price online:
Urethane Foam , Expanding Marine Polyurethane Foam

... and this is how it works:
The do's and don'ts of expanding foam - YouTube

... and this is how it floats a boat if you use enough of it:
Lund Boat Floatation Video - YouTube

Thank you, that is good info. I am going to figure out what foam to use at a later date after we paint the interior but we are leaning towards the 2 part expanding stuff.

I removed the seats just now and drilling the rivets went smoothly and got the seat caps out without any damage. The foam looked OK considering being 57 years old, only 6 mouse nests :joyous:.

First layer of foam

Second layer (had to cut out)

All gone :D

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yeah, foam may not be the only thing you find inside those benches:
IMAG0955_zpsf491c99d.jpg

Yep a 1" thick, 56" wide, 16" deep root mat :facepalm:

It was under a really poorly done foam 'filling' of the cavity inside the bench seat:
IMAG0952_zpsd4f4c4aa.jpg

It was just random scrap pieces of foam....

And the carp foam pile after removal:
IMAG0958_zps02c93a8c.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

While I was uploading the pix ^^^ you posted.

No mouse nests in mine, but congrats on it going well getting the bench seat off & the foam out...

Luke000

And the carp foam pile after removal:
IMAG0958_zps02c93a8c.jpg

Well if we are comparing piles of crap...:laugh:

jbcurt00

Staff member

You win :facepalm: for larger pile

Looks like DuraTech did a much better job on the foam 'filling' of the cavity.

Maybe mine was filled at 345p on a friday.....

If you go w/ pour in foam, make sure to figure in a way for any water that gets under the bench to drain out of the cavity below the foam.

That trapped water is what allowed the roots to grow into my benches. And compromised the foam...

atver300

Cadet

Mines a 58 duratech and this is what was under the seats.

Luke000

Mines a 58 duratech and this is what was under the seats.

That is much better than what I pulled out of the bow and expected to find in the seats. I was very surprised with what I found and immediately thought someone changed it at some point (not the case)