Best Rivet Sealer/Epoxy sytetm???

Fish Fry

Recruit
When I say "best" I'm asking based on several criteria.

1. How easy to apply.

2. How reliable, long term is it?

3. How bad does it screw up future repairs in the same area? Say you want to weld where the sealer has been applied... Impossible?

Any other suggestions?

:hail: to the boat repair gods.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Best Rivet Sealer/Epoxy sytetm???

I have always used Gluvit and not had a failure. I have used it in about a dozen aluminum boats myself. If it ever needs to be welded a good stiff stainless steel cup brush will cut through the gluvit and it is not applied too thick.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The alternative to Gluvit is Coat-It. Basically the Same product just a bit cheaper and a different color!!!:D

Gluvit

Coat-It

duncan_the_red

Seaman Apprentice

I used Gluvit. Easy to folow instructions, easy to apply. Afterwards you can see where it was applied.

pauloman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

use aluthane - a high solvent aluminun filled mcu coating. It will make the boat look like a fresh galvanized new boat. A few coats over the seams... the alumin pigment and the high solvents get into the 'leaks' and seal them.

Perhaps better to start is may be capt Tolleys creeking crack cure. sold in lots of places. Looks like watered down elmers glue with something to reduce surface tension - you put a bead of it along the crack/leak and it 'sucks right into it' and dries cure.

perhaps capt T and then aluthane.....

Paul Oman - MS. MBA
A.K.A. “Professor E. Poxy”
Internet Epoxy Confederation (IEC) EPOXY HOMEPAGE
epoxies since 1994
Member: NACE (National Assoc. of Corrosion Engineers) -- SSPC (Soc. of Protective Coatings)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I've seen Aluthane posted before and have yet to find a distributor for DIY'ers
Perhaps pauloman could provide one.???