Livingston 12': Concerns w/ weight distribution when adding a forward console

go boat

Cadet
I own a 12' Livingston skiff, currently powered by a 15hp Suzuki two stroke w/ tiller controls. It is a very stable and capable boat - any fellow Livingston owner knows exactly what I mean! I recently came across a 14'er for sale that had a covered bow, windshield and forward, side by side seating. I am not in a position to purchase a new boat, but I would like to make the same modifications / additions to my boat.

I am purchasing a 25hp Mariner two stroke with controls as my new power source. This engine is only 20lbs heavier than my current motor. I regularly launch off the beach, therefore I am trying to keep the added weight to a minimum, as much as possible.

When it comes to the bow, my concern is in regards to the shifting forward of much of the weight in my boat (with both driver and crew forward) added windshield & bow cover. I don't want to make it any more difficult to get up on a plane with crew and gear. Is there a specific point in which I should add the side by side seating and console controls?

Has anyone had any experience making any additions to this size and make of hull?

Any recommendations / suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: Livingston 12': Concerns w/ weight distribution when adding a forward console

I honestly don't have any experience with the type of modifications you are wanting to make, but I might suggest a way to find out what effect they will have...
Use sand bags, placed in the approximate locations you intend to add weight to and see how the hull performs...this way you can shift the weight distribution around and get an idea of what will be possible...
Afterwards, you can use the sand to fill in some low spots in the yard...:rolleyes:
Good luck and keep us in the loop as to what you end up doing...
Definitely post up some pics...
Have Fun!
GT1M